Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Almost there"

Hi All…….

It’s so comforting to know there are others like myself (62 in December) who have made the decision to have WLS and I only wish you all the best! I haven’t been on this site in awhile. I have just completed all of my pre op testing and will be signing my consent next week. Then hope & pray my insurance company will approve. I am hoping for a surgery date of November 17th. So tell me…..Did any of you feel anxious and apprehensive right before your surgery? For me, during the last six months this day seemed like it would never come. Now that I am almost there I have begun to question myself, is this is the right thing for me? Am I doing the right thing? I know it’s just my nerves talking. The quality of my life right now really stinks and if and when I plan to retire, I would love to be able to live out the rest of my life to its fullest.

Ellen

Surgery in three days and you better believe I have anxiety and apprehension! I am starting to think, "Whoa, do I really want to to do thing?" I come down on the side of YES!!!!! I have already lost 42 pounds and I feel so gooood. Can only imagine what it will be like to hit the 100 pound loss that I want.

I have had three other major surgeries, but they were not elective so while I had anxiety and apprehension, I knew I had to do it . Think that is what makes this so different, but I believe that is why it is so important. We are making a conscious decision to do something for US. Many of us are "caretaker" personalities who have focused too much on others and it feels awkward to focus on ourselves!

Hi All…….

It’s so comforting to know there are others like myself (62 in December) who have made the decision to have WLS and I only wish you all the best! I haven’t been on this site in awhile. I have just completed all of my pre op testing and will be signing my consent next week. Then hope & pray my insurance company will approve. I am hoping for a surgery date of November 17th. So tell me…..Did any of you feel anxious and apprehensive right before your surgery? For me, during the last six months this day seemed like it would never come. Now that I am almost there I have begun to question myself, is this is the right thing for me? Am I doing the right thing? I know it’s just my nerves talking. The quality of my life right now really stinks and if and when I plan to retire, I would love to be able to live out the rest of my life to its fullest.

Ellen

I was so desperate to lose weight I really didn't have doubts. Just was sure to get outstanding surgeon. I grew more anxious as the day grew near -- typical surgery fears not questioning the decision for wls. I was a lot more overweight than most though. I think almost everyone gets apprehensive as surgery nears. My brief what have I done moment came after surgery but only for a few seconds. I was 62 when I had surgery.

I still have a lot of weight to lose but have such an improved quality of life. It is great.

Hi! Well, I am 66 and just had my surgery last Monday, 10/17. And YES, I was nervous and apprehensive, but I have this theory that positive thoughts bring a more positive outcome, you know like the self-fulfilling prophecy, only on the good side. So through my fears, I managed to visualize a successful surgery without complications, and pretty much, that is what I got. Right now, I am experiencing some pain which may be a complication, but I will deal with my anxiety about that the same way. Also, it is good that you are on this forum because there is a wealth of experience and support here. So joint the November 2011 people going through the same experience that you are going through and see how much better that makes you feel. I am way too old to have much experience at this "forum stuff", but I have found the support and information to be invaluable. I even connect with 20 year-olds, and feel I have a lot to offer them from a slightly different perspective.

So Yippee that you are doing this.

Keep in touch,

Phyllis, aka Hopeful Spirit

Hi All…….

Ellen