Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for ANY Molina Band Revisions to Sleeve!!

This is a shot in the dark but I really need to find information so here goes....

First off.. HI EVERYONE!! :rolleyes:

In 1995 I had the "molina band" WLS (I believe Dr. Oria still uses this band to date but was in training when I had mine put on). I weighed in at 285 and got down to around 160-70 in about a year or two. I have yo-yo'd with my weight for the last 13 years and am now sitting at 210 and feel like I am gaining daily. I have lived with this band and all that goes with it for 16 years. It is time for a change!!!

I am looking for ANYONE that has or knows someone that had this band and now has a sleeve. I cannot find any information on any of the websites I have googled and from what some of the doctors are telling me, the sleeve is not the best option for "molina band" revisions, the RNY is. I dont want the RNY, period. Dumping? No freaking way! I have "dumped", thrown up, gotten sick or whatever you want to call it for the last 16 years and i am DONE with that!!!:angry:

I had an EGD last Friday and the band hasnt eroded into my stomach. THANK GOD FOR THAT!! My doc says that he will remove the band but he is sure I will have scar tissue to get around and he might have to leave part of the band in. :blink: Since insurance will not pay for a revision (exclusion on policy for ONE WLS per LIFETIME, awesome!) I am going to be heading to MX using my FSA funds to have Dr. Kelly complete the sleeve. Right now I am debating having the band removed here in the USA under my insurance and then heading to MX in January or just having Dr. Kelly do it all in January. I am setting up a phone call with him for next week too.

This is why I am so desperate for information from anyone with experience with this damn band! Sorry! I just keep thinking to myself.. how much more different could the removal of my band be compared to the stories I am reading about the lapband removals?

Thank you all in advance for your input. I have soooo enjoyed reading and learning from each of you and seeing your transformation is soooo inspiring!

I've never heard of the Molina band but I really hope that the removal goes well and that your revision is successful!

I can't add any specifics about that kind of band, but with the current crop of bands it does seem to be fairly common for the revisions to be staged with the removal done in one procedure and then the sleeve done in another procedure some weeks or months later to allow the stomach to heal from any damage that may have been done by the band. I don't know how many are planned that way versus decided upon when the surgeon gets inside, but there is a band to sleeve forum here where you should be able to get some general insight on that issue.

Good luck in making the change,