Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is my journey over?

Sorry, this is long winded and kind of whiny.

I started this adventure the Friday after Thanksgiving (USA) 2010 and it's been a real roller coaster ride. The weight has just flown off and I now look "normal", even a bit thin.

I initial set my goal weight at 180 pounds, right smack in the middle of the BMI charts recommended 160 to 190 pounds for a 6' tall male. I knew it was outrageous and I haven't weighed 180 pounds since EARLY High School, and I was skeletally thin then too. In reality 190 is probably more like it with even 200 being within reason.

About a month or so ago I arrived at 210 pounds, the first time in DECADES. I feel and look great. I wear medium or large men's clothes. I would at least like to drop another 10 or 15 pounds just to get into ONEderland. It looks like it's not possible for me to do this.

I've been hovering around 210 for more than a month now, I gain and loose 1 or 2 pounds over and over. Last weekend we went horseback riding ( an activity I haven't done in years because of my weight - we went 4 times this summer) and while I was stepping up on the horse he sidled toward me, in order to not lose my balance and fall off backwards I laid over the saddle and caught the horn of the saddle (western type) right under my left ribs - FULL weight right down onto the edge of the ribcage. I managed to stand again and swing my leg over but was in a LOT of pain. By Monday it wasn't better but I decided to go swimming at the gym as usual thinking the exercise in the warm Water and motion would loosen me up. Nope, not by a long shot. I quit early after only an hour (typically I swim 90 minutes). I've skipped the rest of this week and the pain is letting up somewhat but is still there. Today I did my weigh in and I gained more than 3 pounds! The swelling in my feet has returned too, it's been absent since I started working out. Now obviously this weight has got to be mostly water as I've been pretty good with my diet. I've stuck to plan but seem to be blessed (cursed?) with an incredibly slow and efficient metabolism that squeezes every last ounce of calories out of my food. According to the BMR charts I need about 2000 calories just to maintain 210, however if I eat anything over 1700 - EVEN WITH SWIMMING 4 HOURS A WEEK and having an average although sedentary lifestyle beyond that - I can't lose weight and seem to stabilize or even GAIN weight.

So, is my journey over? Am I forever cursed to be 210 and STRUGGLE to maintain that? This is really a bummer, I had actually thought that with the ease with which I lost the majority of the weight that I would perhaps even struggle to keep my weight UP after all was said and done. I AM in a good place and being 20 pounds over weight is acceptable although disappointing, it's a far cry from weighing 375 like I was last year.

So, what should I do?

First of all, give yourself a break and focus on healing. You have had amazing success losing weight. If your body needs to stay at 210 -213 until you get over your injury, I would try not to stress on it. Delay making any decisions on where you want to end up for your goal weight until you are feeling back 100% are are able to exercise at your normal level. I think your body is resisting losing while it is injured. And, you may have hit a weight that your body perceives as a natural set point for you. Those are hard to get past (in my opinion).

I am sort of in the same boat - I damaged the ligaments in my right ankle over two months ago. I had a boot cast for a month, then an akle stabilizer for a month, and tomorrow it is back to the ortho for anotther reveiw. I am doing PT now 2-3 times per week. I can start now using my elliptical, but no Zumba. I could probably swim (like you) if I can find a spot to do that. I am 21 pounds from where my ultimate goal is. I am trying not to get super stressed about the dramatic slowing of my weight loss - and it is now bouncing around a 2 pound range. I'm not unhappy with my current size, but do want to get to my goal.

Rootman, I really admire what you have done - how about not decing if ithis is the end of your journey - just think of it as a place on the journey you might stay for awhile?

First >clap,clap,clap< for the amount of weight that you HAVE lost. And secondly, if you don't want your journey to be over it doesn't have to be. You may have reached the potential of your sleeve, but you haven't tapped the potential of the human spirit. If you want to drop another 10-13lbs stay in a caloric defecit and hit the gym like a demon. Remember the sleeve doesn't change the fact that less calories in and extra calories burnt WILL lose weight.

You are probably retaining fluids to cushion your injuries. Whenever your body swells it is putting padding on that area and also your body slows down on weight loss, lowering your metabolism incase you aren't able to access food while you recover. No worries, you will back to be being a loser ;) soon!

Rootman,

I am in a similar position... but I refuse to think that this is the end.

I agree with the others... let yourself heal; give your body some readjustment time. I am on the other end of am injury.... seems that it is my lower back, but comes out in my leg. I was on strong pain meds for a week and completely immobile for that time too and within that week, I put on 9lbs. I am pleased to tell you that each and every pound has gone and I am back to 168lb again... just waiting for the scale to drop now and start my slow losing again.

You've done such a good job so far, and I can feel your frustration ... well, I know I was frustrated when I couldn't move and gained... for no apparent reason!

Give it a week or so and I am sure that you will start to feel better... good luck.

MEN!!! No actually, i wouldn't have gone to the doctor either - and I would have never admitted that I was hurt riding. Last year I was thrown and pulled about every ligament in my lower back. I got the horse back to my friend and walked off quasi-psuedo normal looking (I didn't want to worry her) and didn't walk right for the next 3 months.

You probably swelled up and bruised. Heal and maybe eat all the Proteins first, no slider type foods yeah?

Rootman, I too am in the same boat as you, but REFUSE to give up.

AND, I just had surgery 5 months ago!!!!!!!!! But, think my body is saying enough already! I would like to lose another 10-15lbs, but at this point, being at the same weight for over a month, I don't think it is going to happen!! I am very happy where I am, would like to lose the rest, but if I don't I am very pleased now!

Applaud yourself for what you have done this far! You are a success already! I am sure it is your injury and once you are healed, you will get "back to business!"

Hugs,

Kelly ;)

As for me, I tend to lose 10-15 lbs then stop losing all together for a month or two. I am 20 pounds shy of my goal weight. I think you just need to give your body the healing time it needs, and concentrate on working that sleeve. You got this!!!!cool.gif