Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does the fact i had eroded lapband show intent to lose weight??

Before I had my lapband I went to 2 doctors at different times that both prescribed phentermine, I was unsuccessful so got the band as a self pay in Mexico in 2004. My band eroded in 2009 and have gained 60 lbs and want the sleeve. I tried doing a Dr diet back in November but when I started I broke my foot and couldn't continue with the expense of the broken foot and the $100 wk to the diet doctor, so I quit. I went back and tried again, but just could not afford it. I also, on and of have purchased Herbalife weightloss products and was unsuccessful. I have bought My Alli, which of course I didn't keep receipts. So my question, why wouldn't the fact I had a Lapband be proof of intention or sort of diet...don't know if anyone understands what I'm trying to day...hope so. :).

If I was unsuccessful before the band, why would I be successful with dieting now for 6 months to prove to them that I will fail?????

You could try that route, heck why not. . insurance companies are all about power and control and they know they can do it. I don't know what to tell you, but give it whirl. . what do you have to lose?

I would recommend that you call your insurance co & they can send you the requirements for surgery,... then explain your situation & see what they say. Have you met with the surgeon? They might have some idea. Good luck!

Glenna

From another perspective the lap band is not intent to diet, versus being forced to reduce food intake. With Sleeve you have a reduction in stomach but very possible to still overeat. Everything else you say sounds like weak excuses, the diet doctor and pills - those are cheats and doesn't show you will reduce intake instead it says you want something else to make you lose weight instead of your own willpower.

If you are serious at wanting to lose weight then start counting calories, increase exercise to at least 3 days per week of 1 hour each and walk another 1/2 hour 4 more days. Forget the fads the pills, do what you really need to do, eliminate fatty foods. Go to leaner cuts of meat, eat vegetables when snacking, go from whole milk to low fat or non fat. Change cereals from high calorie to low calorie, reduce breads....

Sorry if I sound mean but it sounds like you want an honest answer as to why insurance may not see your attempts as proof that you will do what needs to be done versus using the lap band or sleeve which will not resolve your problem until you make a genuine commitment.

From another perspective the lap band is not intent to diet, versus being forced to reduce food intake. With Sleeve you have a reduction in stomach but very possible to still overeat. Everything else you say sounds like weak excuses, the diet doctor and pills - those are cheats and doesn't show you will reduce intake instead it says you want something else to make you lose weight instead of your own willpower.

If you are serious at wanting to lose weight then start counting calories, increase exercise to at least 3 days per week of 1 hour each and walk another 1/2 hour 4 more days. Forget the fads the pills, do what you really need to do, eliminate fatty foods. Go to leaner cuts of meat, eat vegetables when snacking, go from whole milk to low fat or non fat. Change cereals from high calorie to low calorie, reduce breads....

Sorry if I sound mean but it sounds like you want an honest answer as to why insurance may not see your attempts as proof that you will do what needs to be done versus using the lap band or sleeve which will not resolve your problem until you make a genuine commitment.

Wow, really?? I have lost weight many times, sometimes the right way others through fad diets and doctors assistance and then gained it back like most of us with weight problems. Having the band was a HUGE commitment, I was able to maintain my weightloss for 5 years until it eroded through no fault of my own. Having the band I was forced to reduce intake but isn't that what the sleeve has done for you? I have struggled with my weight my whole life, I was 190 lbs when I got my band and lost 60 lbs. I loved it, looked great, felt great. It wasn't easy but it helped me eat with moderation. Which is something my mind and body apparently don't know how to do on their own. I had to eat 6 small meals a day and followed all the rules. If I hadn't been committed I could have been eating ice scream or milk shakes and junk food which as so happens are band friendly vs eating healthier options of food. Why are all of us on here then if we can achieve weightloss on our own with diet and excercise. Do you think I'm so stupid that I don't know that is what I should be doing??? Why did you get the sleeve couldn't you just follow your dieting advice from above? Just saying? I don't know why I choose to be fat? If I had the answer to that I would not be here. You wouldn't be here. I am 200 lbs and I don't want to gain more, I do try. I diet, excercise, do it for weeks, don't see results or stuff goes bad in my life and I quit. I don't know why, why doesn't my brain get it??? Wish I knew, I have been on a journey to find those answers and don't know why I was born without the will power and ability to eat healthy and moderately on my own without the need to have a band or sleeve. I'm glad that you have shown true commitment and didn't need the sleeve because you were able to diet and excercise on your own....oh wait, I forgot, you did get the sleeve. I wish you nothing but success in your journey. As for me, I still struggle with the fat monster who for my entire adult life seems to get lost, but then finds me again. He must be online and keeps track of me through Facebook....LOL

Mariposa Bella,

I completely understand what you are going through. I had a lap band in July 2007 By Dr Aceves in MX.. I lost 65 lns & felt wonderful.. however things got difficult when I couldnt eat chicken, meat,salads, etc.. food kept getting stuck. I had the band removed in the US, my insurance covered it in July 2010. I have also gained over 30lbs.. My insurance has denied gastric bypass because my BMI is 37.6 with no co-morbidities & my doctor doesnt do bands!

I am now trying to get surgery for the sleeve in MX.

Good luck to you, I really do understand what you are going through!

Mariposa Bella,

I completely understand what you are going through. I had a lap band in July 2007 By Dr Aceves in MX.. I lost 65 lns & felt wonderful.. however things got difficult when I couldnt eat chicken, meat,salads, etc.. food kept getting stuck. I had the band removed in the US, my insurance covered it in July 2010. I have also gained over 30lbs.. My insurance has denied gastric bypass because my BMI is 37.6 with no co-morbidities & my doctor doesnt do bands!

I am now trying to get surgery for the sleeve in MX.

Good luck to you, I really do understand what you are going through!

Thank you Lulugirl.

I am having the same issue, was self pay in Mexico because of a low bmi, and now on the same boat. I was told I need to gain about 15 lbs.

I cannot afford to do self pay at this time or I would go do it. Maybe my friend the accountant can loan me the money, lol....It is very frustrating, he is correct, I need to eat right and excercise, so why can't I do it??? Seems like the harder I try, the more I set myself up for failure. I think I'm depressed because of the weight gain. I refuse to give up, someday I will Killl the fat monster.

I wish you luck and advice you to do something about the weight gain now, it is 30 lbs, do not wait until it is 60 like me. Stay in touch :)