Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Nightmare V.2.0

I just read the thread about Gabriela's "nightmare" journey with her sleeve and someone suggested it might have been a "false" posting because she hasn't been back to post again in a long time. As someone with a similar story, I'm here to tell you a. she could not have made that up and b. getting on the computer to post isn't exactly a priority when you're fighting her kind of battle.

Five months ago tomorrow -- may 10 -- i was admitted to the hospital with multiple leaks and became septic. i too had stents and drains put in. my friends and family tell me i was close to death...

the next two months were miserable...no energy...being fed only by IV...five antibiotics for infections...

in july, after a CT scan showed significant improvement, my stents were removed. PROGRESS! After an Upper GI without the stents, my doctor came into the room shaking his head. I was still leaking. The stents had to go back in. They are still in, three months later. Last week, I was at the hospital twice, once for another Upper GI (again showing improvement), again for radiology to try to fix the challenges with my drains.

Meanwhile, my drain site (the area on my side where the created a hole to insert the drain) LEAKS. It's disgusting in that gets all over my clothes, even with gauze...the drainage looks infectious, but cultures show nothing dangerous. But, hey, why not do yet another round of antibiotics that make me lose my appetite and have diarreah? The Dr.'s and radiologists all can't explain it -- I've been trying to get relief for three months -- they say it's nothing to worry about. Easy for them to say when I'm the one change my clothes and dressings three times a day. They had me start flushing the line last week. The saline goes straight to the 'exit wound' and out of my drain site all over my skin.

If I forgot to mention the dry heaves in the early days of my stents, here's that news. Oh, and I throw up certain foods but never know what might work and what won't. Of course I use the guidelines provided to all sleeve patients.

I too have "referred" pain in my left shoulder and my abdomen. Mild pain killers don't help and I don't need anything stronger.

I'm not complaining. I'm alive. I pray and trust that I will recover.

Yes, my surgery was in Mexico but a very well-respected sleeve surgeon with many success stories. But that's irrelevant. Leaks are clearly defined as a possible complication regardless of your surgeon. I'd had the band removed five years ago and that may have played a role (adhesions and scar tissue).

One last not -- since my insurance didn't cover the sleeve, it won't cover the complications. So I have about $75,000 in medical bills. I'm self-employed and haven't been able to work since this all started.

Thanks for letting me share my story. The jury is still out on regrets. I know God put this challenge in my life for a reason and I'm prepared to see it through.

And if I don't post again or respond, please forgive me. I'm probably laying in bed with a heating pad on my achy shoulder or changing my dressing...or emptying my drain...or...

I WILL SURVIVE.

Before you go through with surgery, consider that you could be one of the one percent (?) that has leak complications. I didn't want to believe I could be.

Let me close my saying I treasure all of your success stories, for those of you without complications, and wish you continued success.

I wish u both a speedy recovery!!! Thank u for sharing.

that sucks. I am glad I got it done in the US. I went into the surgeon and two weeks for fear of a leak. It was great being able to drive 10 minutes and be at his office. He reassured me I was fine and now 12 weeks out have lost 75 pounds.

Hope everything works out and you have a full recovery.

http://www.discountdesignsolutions.com/i-sad-apple-t-shirt.html

I hope you are on the mend for good soon! Thoughts and hugs!

Wow, that is a nightmare!!! Hope you are finally on the right path for recovery! Can I ask how far out you developed your leak?

Sending prayers your way!

DishDiva,

I am so sorry you are going thru all this! How very scary and frustrating too. I know you are ready to be healed and move forward with your life. Sending you wishes for a complete recovery very soon!!

*hugs*

Kelly

So sorry to hear about your major complications. I am curious to no how long after your sleeve did u develop the leaks. I also feel it is very relevant that u share your Mexican surgeon.I am one who is considering going to Mexico to be sleeved. It would be nice To know that good and the bad. There are many great post about some of the Mexican surgeons but we need to who may have a track record. This is a life altering decision every bit of information will help. Your the second person I've seen who had a leak months out from the surgery from a Mexican doctor. The other guy was 5 months out and said he went to Dr Aceves. Wow this is scary makes me have second thoughts. I wish u the best sending prayers up foru!

Sending best wishes for improved health and the ultimate success of your sleeve. You do have insurance? They just won't cover your after care? Have you appealed that? I would think they would cover at least some of your after care... what a mess having a big fat bill hanging around while feeling poorly! So sorry about that...

My doctor told me that if i should have any complications at all, that he has a way to code it so that it is covered by my insurance. Ummm maybe have a talk with the doctor??? Good luck

Ugh, what a nightmare! I'm so sorry to hear of all these complications and pain and discouragement. I REALLY hope you will start to truly improve soon and feel better. Hang in there, your attitude is great!! :)

Dishdiva, I hope you have a speedy recovery. So sorry you have had a very difficult postop recovery time. Ronda:D:rolleyes:

Hey everyone -

Thanks for your support and encouragement -- I feel like I'm getting closer to recovery most days.

To answer a few Q's: My surgery was on May 2. I think my leak developed sometime around the 8th or 9th. I went to the hospital on the 10th.

My surgeon was Dr. Alvarez, who I love. In no way do I consider this a failing on his part. (The patient who went before me has been doing fabulous -- like so many of his patients.) He's been generous with his time even though he's technically not treating me for the leak and has been incredibly supportive. I would still recommend him in a minute.

My insurance does pay a little of this and a little of that based on creative coding, but the bulk of it is not being paid.

May get my stents out Monday, God willing. :)

DD

Dishdiva, I hope you are recovering much better than before. It was great to hear from you--thanks for your update. I wish you continued success with your recovery, Take care, Ronda :rolleyes: