Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weightloss Per Week?

For those of you who think my loss has not been fast - I have not been exercising like some people do with the sleeve. I did light walking daily, and a weekly Zumba class, and some sessions on my elliptical. But not a daily strenuous workout - and I have done NO exercise since I blew out my ankle about two months ago. Even with that, I have lost 96 pounds in 7+ months.

I agree with Norman, if you exercise more, your metabolism will be higher and you will lose faster. I also agree with forensikchic that this is a tool (the best I have ever had) to lose weight. My goal was never to see how fast I could get to goal - my goal is to get to my goal weight and stay there. I know I can lose the weight I want - this is the FIFTH time I will have lost 100 pounds. Obviously, my problem is keeping the d**n weight off for longer than 18 months at a time. I am now rehabbing my ankle and am starting to be able to exercise. I will be adding more exercise sessions to my weekly routine, which will help in my push to lose the last 21 pounds more quickly. Then maintenance comes. That's the hard part for me.

GOOD LUCK! Wishing you the best!! You'll get there and stay there!!

i had my surgery on 8-16-11 and the dos i was 261pounds today i am 230...so since suregery i have lost 31 pounds....i did have the dredded stall at three weeks for about 2.5 weeks. i didnt lose anything of course during that time. once my tom came i lost 8.5 pounds in one week, which put me at the 31 pound loss. so just about 2 months and 31 pounds....not bad and average of 15 pounds a month. i will freaking take it! lol

as for sabotoge.....i guess it is possible if all you do is eat crap, but i have lost the desire to eat that crap all together. i have tried, oh believe me i have, however eversion therapy has worked for me, (i have usually thrown it back up or it has come out the other side with a vengence) not something that you want to repeat very many times.

in all though it really is just up to your body type, what you eat, how often, and what types of exercise you do,and of course genetics and age. everyone will be different. as for ww, i used to have a teacher that did ww....she would make fun of her old fat self and call her pictures, terry the whale. after she gained all of that weight back and then a few the picture came down again needless to say. diets just dont work unless you are locked away in a cell and cant get to real food. (that is called the prison diet btw) i work in one hehe...i always tease the guys when they come back from an extended stay at the jail house because they always lose so much weight cause the food sucks...lol

I had surgery on 3/21/2011 and weighed 250 on DOS. I currently weigh 201 and I have noticed lately that if I do not work out, I do not lose that week and may possibly even gain some depending on my food choices for the week. Exercise is very important in our journey I have come to find out!

I have been at a plateau/slow weight loss since about August though, I have only lost about 4 lbs in that time. :(

I understand your query and can relate. Weight Watchers really does work, and it's so SANE... if you can stick with it and really commit to counting points. Unfortunately, I never could stick long enough to make a BIG dent in my excess weight. I was able to lose about 30lbs (of the 75 lbs overage) in 5 months a few years ago (and I've been a member on and off since - 1973!!!!).... But no matter how much I lose I always gain it back plus some.

At this point, I've spent all of my life (except 2 years in my early 20s) 10 - 100 lbs overweight. Usually about +/- 40lbs. The last few years, I've really packed it on, going from 210 to 265 in roughly 8 years. I'm now menopausal, which only makes it harder for me to lose weight. And we're now talking about 40 years of using food to cope with my emotions (to one extent or another). Being obese (ugh, what a word!) negatively impacted my self-esteem, and consquently it has negatively effected every aspect of my life, my personal relationships, my professional aspirations, my health, and my finances (I spend and have spent a tremendous amount of money on food for myself and personal trainers, and weightloss program memberships, etc.). Needless to say, a large portion (no pun) of my life has been centered on food. My mother and sisters have struggled iwth their weight, and my best friends have always been heavy, even my preference in male companionship has been based on "who won't mind that I'm fat..." or "who will like to eat as much as I do???". I've been a binge eater and I've been bulimic (no longer). Eating is THE MOST enjoyable thing I do, with singing and watching old movies tied as second. It's also the one activity that has caused me to feel shame and deep disappointment with myself. Throw some guilt in there, too.... for good measure.

People (or is it me?) think that WLS is an easy way out. Well, at this point, I've failed so miserably at "getting control of my overeating" and feel so ashamed, WLS is the greatest act of compassion I can show myself.

My hope is that once I start seeing consistent weightloss, and once I can STOP fighting my hunger/appetite, even for a few months, I can FINALLY establish the habits that I know will help me maintain the weightloss. I guess I just need some outside help...

You can look at my signature for my loss. This month has only been 1lb but I expect to lose at least 2-3 more.

weight loss surgery is NOT the easy way out. It is just a tool as you pointed out to help with your food intake. You still have to make good food decisions and exercise if you want to lose all those unwanted pounds. That is why the average person who gets VSG only loses 60 percent of their weight they had to lose. One of my coworkers had RNY three years ago and looks great. She told me she lost 120 % of the weight. I was like how did you do it? She said diet and exercise. I took that to heart and try to exercise every day and go to the gym 5 days a week. The thing is for me and her losing weight is kind of addictive. When you see the pounds start to fly off it makes you want to try harder. I told my surgeon he changed my life and he blushed. I used to feel bad all the time and now three months since surgery I am a changed man.

BTW I tell everyone that I had surgery. I love telling strangers at the gym or in the grocery line. I am so proud I had surgery. I took a lot of guts to go through with it and I am proud of it. Everyone who thinks otherwise is just wrong and dont worry about what they say.

Good luck,

Norm

BTW go CARDS in the World Series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand your query and can relate. Weight Watchers really does work, and it's so SANE... if you can stick with it and really commit to counting points. Unfortunately, I never could stick long enough to make a BIG dent in my excess weight. I was able to lose about 30lbs (of the 75 lbs overage) in 5 months a few years ago (and I've been a member on and off since - 1973!!!!).... But no matter how much I lose I always gain it back plus some.

At this point, I've spent all of my life (except 2 years in my early 20s) 10 - 100 lbs overweight. Usually about +/- 40lbs. The last few years, I've really packed it on, going from 210 to 265 in roughly 8 years. I'm now menopausal, which only makes it harder for me to lose weight. And we're now talking about 40 years of using food to cope with my emotions (to one extent or another). Being obese (ugh, what a word!) negatively impacted my self-esteem, and consquently it has negatively effected every aspect of my life, my personal relationships, my professional aspirations, my health, and my finances (I spend and have spent a tremendous amount of money on food for myself and personal trainers, and weightloss program memberships, etc.). Needless to say, a large portion (no pun) of my life has been centered on food. My mother and sisters have struggled iwth their weight, and my best friends have always been heavy, even my preference in male companionship has been based on "who won't mind that I'm fat..." or "who will like to eat as much as I do???". I've been a binge eater and I've been bulimic (no longer). Eating is THE MOST enjoyable thing I do, with singing and watching old movies tied as second. It's also the one activity that has caused me to feel shame and deep disappointment with myself. Throw some guilt in there, too.... for good measure.

People (or is it me?) think that WLS is an easy way out. Well, at this point, I've failed so miserably at "getting control of my overeating" and feel so ashamed, WLS is the greatest act of compassion I can show myself.

My hope is that once I start seeing consistent weightloss, and once I can STOP fighting my hunger/appetite, even for a few months, I can FINALLY establish the habits that I know will help me maintain the weightloss. I guess I just need some outside help...

ok I hope 'm not alone in thinking this... 2 lbs a week sound like what you would get on a regular diet like weight watchers... I am not slaggin the process at all - just not familiar with the process.

I go for my sleeve Nov 3 and I'm really nervous smile.gif I guess the difference is that it's constant losses versus lose 3 one week and gain5 the next.. maybe someone can help me understand?

I see the total numbers and get it then - but breaking it down to a weightless per week - it seems low... what am I missing.

My doctor says that after the first month, the initial drop in those fat stores and Water weight, you can expect to loose between 8 and 10 pounds a month. I thought of ww too because they say 1-2 pounds a week. I have been on ww for 20 years and I have never lost that much consistently! I lost about 40 pounds once on ww and it was an average of 6 pounds a month but I didnt keep if off and it slowly came back on, even though I kept on with ww. I just got lazy and didnt keep it up as diligentlly as I should have. I am not saying ww doesnt work, I am saying its a tool, just like the sleeve is. Its not a miracle that you dont have to do anything and POOF the weight is gone. You still have to think about Protein first and getting your Water, etc. Its a great tool because its restrictive and you cant gobble down everything you once did. You have to work your tool and there are very few people who have lost 2 to 2.5 pounds a week on ww consitently (the key word here). If they did, it would have worked for many of us who have tried and tried and failed. Its your decision but dont be delusioned into thinking that its an easy fix or that you dont have to be careful what you eat after the surgery. Its working great for me and I love that I am not hungry and it makes me able to make better choices and not stuff myself. I have been more successful in the first two months than I ever have with anything else. I lost 11 pounds in the past month and I think thats pretty good, for a total of 37 since surgery 8/8. thats two months and three days. It took me five months to loose that with ww and I gained all back DOUBLE within a few years. This for me is a more permanent solution to keeping my weight off and being healthy. Good luck to you!

I am so thankful I saw your post. your signature line has been very helpful to me. I am 2 weeks out and only down 11-12 pounds and seem to be having my "3 week" stall a bit early. I walk, and walk and walk, and have been good with my Protein and fluids - it is frustrating to hear you loose the most at the beginning and then you aren't loosing.