Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weightloss Per Week?

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering how much weight you lost per week after you had your sleeve done???

Thanks in advance!!

BettyBoop

Hi I'm currently 11 weeks out and have lost 35 pounds. Which averages out to be about 3.18 pounds per week. However, some weeks the scale does not actually move. A better measure I have found is my clothing as I am sure many others will agree. Even if the scale hasn't moved, my clothing is steadily getting loser and shifting down in size. Much fun shopping my own closet.

It's a big variable depending upon a lot of individual factors, including how heavy you are at the start, your caloric intake, your exercise levels and basic metabolic rates. Of course, you will lose more quickly at the beginning than later. You may even gain some when you are in the hospital from all the fluids they pump into you, but that comes off in a couple of days.

Not including the 5lb of Fluid gain I got in the hospital, I lost a little over 8 lb per week the first three weeks (from a total of about 100 that I need to lose,) which then slowed to 4-5 lb per week, and is now down to around 2-3 per week at 20lb to goal. The first 2-3 weeks your loss typically comes from your ready store of reserve carbs and Protein, coming off at a rate of about 2000 calories per pound; after that (and maybe after the dreaded third week stall,) you start buring mostly fat, but at the lower rate of about 3500 calories per pound. I didn't have a significant third week stall as many do, but there was a definite slowing ot the loss rate at that point which correlates well with the physiology of weight loss progression.

Thanks so much everyone for your replies!! I can't wait for the new me!!

I've been losing an average of 3 lbs per week, but I never had that huge initial loss because I had lost over 50 lbs pre op and was at a lower weight on DOS. Those who weigh 400lbs tend to lose in much bigger numbers than those who started at 225 lbs.

I've been losing an average of 3 lbs per week, but I never had that huge initial loss because I had lost over 50 lbs pre op and was at a lower weight on DOS. Those who weigh 400lbs tend to lose in much bigger numbers than those who started at 225 lbs.

You sound like me Heather. I'm looking at 45-50 pounds lost before surgery. But it would be nice for fast initial weight loss.....

I'm getting more excited each day!! Oct 25th is my day! :):thumb:

I am slightly over 7 months post surgery. For the entire time period, I am losing about 2.8 pounds per week - much faster at first, and slower now that I am getting closer to my goal. I have lost over 80% of my "excess weight" and I think the rate slows down about then.

I keep a spreadsheet that tracks this, and along with the line that shows my actual weight loss, I have two lines showing a 2 lb and a 3 lb per week line. You can see I crossed from > 3/ week to < 3/week a few weeks ago. I sprained my ankle really badly about then (you can see the stall - when the slope of the weight loss line changed) and wasn't able to exercise for around 2 months. I am just now getting back into exercising.

The separate dots at the end of the actual weight loss line are when I project I will hit certain goal weights.

The important thing is not how fast you lose, but how well you work your sleeve. Good Luck!

I'll be at 8 weeks on wednesday, and i have lost a total of 44lbs. But 12 of those were pre-op. So i guess about 4lbs a week, or so... But, I believe some weeks ive lost more and others none at all. Im down 4 sizes in my jeans..

ok I hope 'm not alone in thinking this... 2 lbs a week sound like what you would get on a regular diet like weight watchers... I am not slaggin the process at all - just not familiar with the process.

I go for my sleeve Nov 3 and I'm really nervous :) I guess the difference is that it's constant losses versus lose 3 one week and gain5 the next.. maybe someone can help me understand?

I see the total numbers and get it then - but breaking it down to a weightless per week - it seems low... what am I missing.

ok I hope 'm not alone in thinking this... 2 lbs a week sound like what you would get on a regular diet like weight watchers... I am not slaggin the process at all - just not familiar with the process.

I go for my sleeve Nov 3 and I'm really nervous :) I guess the difference is that it's constant losses versus lose 3 one week and gain5 the next.. maybe someone can help me understand?

I see the total numbers and get it then - but breaking it down to a weightless per week - it seems low... what am I missing.

My doctor says that after the first month, the initial drop in those fat stores and Water weight, you can expect to loose between 8 and 10 pounds a month. I thought of ww too because they say 1-2 pounds a week. I have been on ww for 20 years and I have never lost that much consistently! I lost about 40 pounds once on ww and it was an average of 6 pounds a month but I didnt keep if off and it slowly came back on, even though I kept on with ww. I just got lazy and didnt keep it up as diligentlly as I should have. I am not saying ww doesnt work, I am saying its a tool, just like the sleeve is. Its not a miracle that you dont have to do anything and POOF the weight is gone. You still have to think about Protein first and getting your Water, etc. Its a great tool because its restrictive and you cant gobble down everything you once did. You have to work your tool and there are very few people who have lost 2 to 2.5 pounds a week on ww consitently (the key word here). If they did, it would have worked for many of us who have tried and tried and failed. Its your decision but dont be delusioned into thinking that its an easy fix or that you dont have to be careful what you eat after the surgery. Its working great for me and I love that I am not hungry and it makes me able to make better choices and not stuff myself. I have been more successful in the first two months than I ever have with anything else. I lost 11 pounds in the past month and I think thats pretty good, for a total of 37 since surgery 8/8. thats two months and three days. It took me five months to loose that with ww and I gained all back DOUBLE within a few years. This for me is a more permanent solution to keeping my weight off and being healthy. Good luck to you!

My doctor says that after the first month, the initial drop in those fat stores and Water weight, you can expect to loose between 8 and 10 pounds a month. I thought of ww too because they say 1-2 pounds a week. I have been on ww for 20 years and I have never lost that much consistently! I lost about 40 pounds once on ww and it was an average of 6 pounds a month but I didnt keep if off and it slowly came back on, even though I kept on with ww. I just got lazy and didnt keep it up as diligentlly as I should have. I am not saying ww doesnt work, I am saying its a tool, just like the sleeve is. Its not a miracle that you dont have to do anything and POOF the weight is gone. You still have to think about Protein first and getting your Water, etc. Its a great tool because its restrictive and you cant gobble down everything you once did. You have to work your tool and there are very few people who have lost 2 to 2.5 pounds a week on ww consitently (the key word here). If they did, it would have worked for many of us who have tried and tried and failed. Its your decision but dont be delusioned into thinking that its an easy fix or that you dont have to be careful what you eat after the surgery. Its working great for me and I love that I am not hungry and it makes me able to make better choices and not stuff myself. I have been more successful in the first two months than I ever have with anything else. I lost 11 pounds in the past month and I think thats pretty good, for a total of 37 since surgery 8/8. thats two months and three days. It took me five months to loose that with ww and I gained all back DOUBLE within a few years. This for me is a more permanent solution to keeping my weight off and being healthy. Good luck to you!

- thank you!!!!! This is exactly what I was thinking but I needed someone with experience to tell me:)

Thanks again

- thank you!!!!! This is exactly what I was thinking but I needed someone with experience to tell me:)

Thanks again

Your welcome Darcey! Its a great tool to have in your arsenal and I love mine! Its easy to say "oh, you can loose 2-3 pounds a week with a regular diet like ww and willpower" but you dont hear many people saying, "oh its easy to loose 100 pounds in 6-9 months premanently with a regular diet like WW and will power" Its all in the prospective. Its long term PERMANENT weight loss as long as you do what you are supposed to. You cant go back to eating cake and ice cream as your staple foods or you will feel sick and you can override it if you try to... but who would deliberately sabbotage themselves! Looking at it as permanent loss and over the long run is a much more realistic view of it. Looking at it on a weekly basis is not seeing the forest for the trees! Lots of people are successful in the short run on regular low calorie diet plans and thats great however for those of us that are 100 pounds overweight or more, we need a little more help than that.

jmho

I lost 76 pounds in 12 weeks. however I work out 5 days a week and walk the dog every day for the last 5 weeks. I have found if I do this and watch what I eat I can lose about a pound a day.

My doc said average at 3 months is 50 pounds. He says I am ahead of schedual. But I think that is because I work out so much.

For those of you who think my loss has not been fast - I have not been exercising like some people do with the sleeve. I did light walking daily, and a weekly Zumba class, and some sessions on my elliptical. But not a daily strenuous workout - and I have done NO exercise since I blew out my ankle about two months ago. Even with that, I have lost 96 pounds in 7+ months.

I agree with Norman, if you exercise more, your metabolism will be higher and you will lose faster. I also agree with forensikchic that this is a tool (the best I have ever had) to lose weight. My goal was never to see how fast I could get to goal - my goal is to get to my goal weight and stay there. I know I can lose the weight I want - this is the FIFTH time I will have lost 100 pounds. Obviously, my problem is keeping the d**n weight off for longer than 18 months at a time. I am now rehabbing my ankle and am starting to be able to exercise. I will be adding more exercise sessions to my weekly routine, which will help in my push to lose the last 21 pounds more quickly. Then maintenance comes. That's the hard part for me.