Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Workouts for apple shaped bodies

Hello all!

So I was sleeved March 15th of this year and and lost 97lbs in 5.5 months...(I didn't lose anything in August...my own fault..kinda took a break). I've been walking for about 3-5x a week for exercise but haven't for the last 3 weeks or so due to rain and wind(yes i'm a woose),. I want to do something different but am not sure where to start and what exercises to focus on. I am apple shaped and carry almost ALL of my weight on my belly. ugh! My upper arms,thighs,and butt(what little butt i even have!) have become flabby and I have about 38lbs to go (almost all in the tummy).

What I want to know is ...What exercises should I now focus on? Cardio of course and strength training to tone up the flabby parts. But how much cardio? How often? When to throw in weights/bands? During the workout? Alternate days with strength training and cardio? What's a good workout?

(ps. I'd rather go to a gym than workout at home)

Please let me know what others have do/done that works/worked. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Planks for your abs!! Get the biggest losr last chance workout DVD.s a nice routine that will help tone. The planks for your abs are the best thing you can do. I am just pre-op but i have been doing this workout at the gym and the surgeon commented on how relatively flat my tummy was during my pre-op appointment. My GF had a big belly and lost 113lbs from walking,but her skin was horrible. She has started doing planks too and is seeing the skin tighten up alot. Now with that being said can someone give me tips for my inner thighs which is my problem area.

Pilates and Yoga can really tone up your arms and legs, and it can also help strengthen and tone up your core. I LOVE Zumba, it works your abdomen in alot of different angles and it's fun! We bought the Zumba game for the Wii, and they have DVD's everywhere for it too. I get alot of Pilates and Yoga videos off of Netflix on the Wii also, they have a whole bunch of fitness-like videos on there. The strength training and cardio I don't know alot about, but these will help you some I would think!

It's important to remember this, repeat after me: spot reduction is a myth!

That means, you can't reduce fat in just one area by working out. Fat loss is a systemic, metabolic process -- you either lose it all over, at the rate your body "decides" on, or you don't.

That being said, I highly recommend resistance training to firm up your "trouble" areas. As you lose the fat, you'll start to see the areas where you're weak. Do some weightlifting!

Even women can benefit from weightlifting -- don't worry that you'll bulk up, without the testosterone, that's just not going to happen. And muscles help women get that classic "cello" shape, especially if you are flat-butted or flat-chested. Building the pectoral shelf, for instance, will lift your boobs and make them perkier. Building your hamstrings and gluteal muscles will give you a nice round butt. Building your hip abductors (or is it adductors? I can never get the two straight...) will help you get curvier hips. And of course ab work will help your stomach look flatter. Latissimus dorsi work -- your back -- will help you avoid "back flab" and will also perk up your boobs and help with that "cello shape."

I am a HUGE fan of weight training, and firmly believe that EVERYONE should incorporate some resistance training into their regular regimen. You don't have to be a gym rat to get in some serious workouts; buy a few weights, buy a cheap home gym machine. Heck, do calisthenics -- crunches, squats, pullups, pushups... none of these take a single piece of equipment (well, except pullups).

ouroborous is absolutely correct. I read through my research too, that spot reduction is a myth. My stomach is my worst part, I do plank and crunches and feel the muscles tightening up underneath, but the fat won't go until my body says its ready to go. About three weeks ago I went and bought some new pants because I absolutely had no choice, they were a size 10 (yay me!) 3 weeks later and I need a belt. l only lost 2 pouhds in that time but I am sure if I went shopping again (which I wont for at least another month) I could probably get into an 8 comfortably (yay me again!). I guess my body said ok, we'll let some of that belly fat go now. Who the frig knows. I just keep at it and keep trying and 1 pound here 1 pound there and I am happy. Eventually my tummy will look like a deflated balloon LOL either way you just have to keep at it and keep going, no matter how frustratingly maddening it is :) .

Since you like the gym, invest $50 in an hour with a trainer. You usually meet with them before, so you can tell them your story and what your goals are. Ourborus is correct, you cannot spot reduce, but you can work out more effectively. A trainer will help you do this better than getting a dozen different hints from a public board. The $50 will be well worth it.

A trainer is a great idea.

I'm trying to balance out both cardio and strength training,so I'm doing C25K (jogging/walking training program) 3 times a week,and then I'm taking a strength class at the gym twice weekly (which also includes some cardio). It's going great so far.