Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Did You Add Salad?

Hi to All!!

I am over 5weeks out (Aug 25th) and I was wondering when folks started to eat salad?

My post-op diet gave me the green light on adding foods back in. I bought these fantastic organic baby greens from Trader Joe's but am scared to use them just yet. They are about three days from being tossed.

I am still having a hard time with Protein and I was thinking a salad with tiny chopped chicken sounds pretty good.

What says the board?

Thanks in advance.

Susie

I was starting to play with small southwest style salads (leftover meat w BBQ Sauce tossed into chopped spinach, grape Tomato, avo, pepper, green onion, carrot & cheese) around the end of the third week, and I still have them for lunch frequently. Tolerances and progression varies with us all, but it's worth a try; I was cleared to add veg at the 10 day mark since I was getting in more than the requisite Protein, so I could tolerate dropping the meat content of the meal in exchange for the veg. If you're still having problems with Protein, that should still be your priority, but adding some variety to the protein may be a help. My program's general advice is to experiment with one new food at a time to test tolerance and if something doesn't feel right, try again in a couple weeks.

Good luck with it all, and have fun (hopefully) exploring these new things.

I'm just now 2 months out and added salad (raw veggies) back in just the last week or so. Chew the heck out of them and have some kind of dressing to dip them in to avoid sticking.

I'm 7 weeks out and I've been eating salad for about 2 weeks. I have to be careful though, salad is a slider food for me. If I don't put chicken breast in it I can eat a nice amount before getting full (about 1.5 cups). Umm umm... good stuff!

Enjoy!

Niki

I am 2 years out and still can't tolerate lettuce. . . it hurts so bad even when i chew it to death. . . i can have other salads like coleslaw (go figure) and Pasta salads, tuna salad etc, just not lettuce based salads.

I added salads around the five week mark. I started small and worked my way to a handful (yes I measured with my hand LOL) and added chicken about 2 1/2 to 3 ounces. It is all by trial and error. I tolerate salads well. I did stay full for a few hours. I recently realized that I can eat 1 small bananna. I became very full on a very small bananna. It was oh so yummy!!! :)

Good luck!! :)

Deb

I'm 9 weeks out as of yesterday. I added salad over this past weekend. I ordered a salad with grilled chicken and used the salad mix as a 'side' dish to my protien. No dressing. Anything fatty or oily gags me.

I work next to an awesome Soup and salad restaurant and have been dying for one of their salads. I'm just scared to try one yet but I have been able to eat pretty much anything so I may give it a try this week.

Wow, I had no idea people were eating salads so early out- for some reason my surgeon's guidelines say to start salads at 4-5 months post op. I've been craving one for about 3 months now, lol.

Salads do sound really good right now, but I'm too worried and freaked out about my Hair loss so I'm trying to eat alot of Protein like chicken. I will have to try some salad! Thanks guys...... ;)

I was allowed raw veggies at 3 months (certain ones I could have earlier like peeled cucumber) - I really enjoy salads now, but I have to be careful to still focus on the Protein because it's easy to eat a little too much of the veggies and get full too fast.