Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do u drink pepsi and coke??

hey I am three months out..and I am starting to miss pepsi..I used to drink diet coke and pepsi max..can I drink them now??I heared it could be bad for the sleeve..

I don't drink them myself, but I believe there are several members that drink them with no problem. What does your doctor say?

hey I am three months out..and I am starting to miss pepsi..I used to drink diet coke and pepsi max..can I drink them now??I heared it could be bad for the sleeve..

Since there is a possibility carbonation might stretch the sleeve, nope.

I'd rather not need re-sleeving some years down the line. For me, it's actually an easy trade-off for healthy. :)

I drink several cans of diet Dr. Pepper a week and as you can see by the ticker below have lost 165 pounds already in less than 10 months.

If you can handle the gas bubbles and it doesn't "activate" your sweet tooth where you are craving sweets then go ahead, just do so in moderation. I am sure slugging down diet drinks all day isn't good for you either, even though they have no calories they do have sodium and other stuff.

For me it's too slippery a slope. I never liked the diet pops and I can see myself switching to real coke because "I'd just have a little bit" ( and then away I'd go). Lots of people do drink pop and have no troubles, but I'm planning on staying away

I have tried pop, both diet and normal and they just don't suit my sleeve... pop is the only thing that I get discomfort from!

Wow, I agree with Coops and Fern. At a year out, I can tell you that I have not had one Coke, Pepsi or even Diet Dr. Pepper (my former best friend) since surgery over a year ago. I was formerly addicted to diet DP.

I have fellow SoCal sleevers who drink one every now and then without any problems. Some have tried without problems.

If you NEED one - set a goal for yourself. When you hit a big milestone weight goal - let your self have one if you feel that is reward. But, I have chosen to say no since what would be my next reward. food was always a reward before and I do not want to open that door ever again. My success is worth more than a coke, so I just choose another option by ordering tea or lemonade or Water. Now this resistance is a badge of honor. Silly, but it makes me feel in control over my former addicition to food and diet soda. Just will not open the door.

According to my doctor, carbonated drinks stretch the sleeve, so if I were you I wouldn't drink them in order to avoid gaining weight in the future...

According to my doctor, carbonated drinks stretch the sleeve...

Sorry, but HOW can this even be possible? If the bubbles build up you burp just like anyone else. If this is the case then ANYTHING - including EATING stretches the sleeve and is bad for you. I am convinced that this is just another old wives tale - just like drinking through a strw will give you gas.

I agree with Rootman 100%, My surgeon laughed when I asked if it would stretch out the sleeve. I have a total of maybe 6oz of diet pop per week.

• Avoid Bubbly beverages – Regular sodas are packed with sugar and high in calories, which can cause you to regain weight quickly, and also cause dumping syndrome if you had a gastric bypass. Diet sodas have zero calories, but ironically, they still can cause you to regain weight. Numerous studies show that diet sodas trigger certain hormonal reactions that cause the body to store more fat. In addition, if you drink a carbonated beverage – even seltzer Water – while eating, it forces food through the stomach pouch faster. That means food does not stay in your pouch as long and you lose the feeling of satiety and increase the chances that you will eat more. Finally, the gas released from the carbonated beverage may cause the food forced through the pouch to enlarge your stoma, which again would allow you to eat more at one sitting – defeating the purpose of the weight loss surgery. Stick with Water, caffeine-free teas, and other non-carbonated beverages for best results.

Dr David Provost on bariatric surgery and bubbly beverages

I'm guessing the sleeve as a standalone operation is too new to have many scholarly articles on the topic, however, I will certainly keep looking.

Even if there is the slimmest, most remote possibility it might enlarge my stoma, coke, soda, pop, etc is something I can quite happy never touch again.

There are no long term studies on this topic, and certainly no data specific to the sleeve. Each doctor may have their own bias, but all would agree on a lack of reliable data. So in that respect, no one can know the answer to your question at this point.

For me, diet coke reminds me of my food addiction issues and I plan to avoid it. And, as noted above, there is research pointing to insulin dysregulation with diet sodas. But I would speculate the same mechanism would apply to crystal light and all other diet artificially sweetened drinks.

• Avoid Bubbly beverages – Regular sodas are packed with sugar and high in calories, which can cause you to regain weight quickly, and also cause dumping syndrome if you had a gastric bypass. Diet sodas have zero calories, but ironically, they still can cause you to regain weight. Numerous studies show that diet sodas trigger certain hormonal reactions that cause the body to store more fat. In addition, if you drink a carbonated beverage – even seltzer Water – while eating, it forces food through the stomach pouch faster. That means food does not stay in your pouch as long and you lose the feeling of satiety and increase the chances that you will eat more. Finally, the gas released from the carbonated beverage may cause the food forced through the pouch to enlarge your stoma, which again would allow you to eat more at one sitting – defeating the purpose of the weight loss surgery. Stick with Water, caffeine-free teas, and other non-carbonated beverages for best results.

Dr David Provost on bariatric surgery and bubbly beverages

I'm guessing the sleeve as a standalone operation is too new to have many scholarly articles on the topic, however, I will certainly keep looking.

Even if there is the slimmest, most remote possibility it might enlarge my stoma, coke, soda, pop, etc is something I can quite happy never touch again.

This is interesting but not really applicable to sleeve patients re: enlarging the stoma. Bypass patients have stomas and a contributor to regain is enlargement of it. However, sleeve patients still have their pyloric valve and that won't be affected by carbonation. None of us are advised to drink while eating and soda is a trigger food for some. I have had sips of a carbonated diet soda and like Coops, it just feels uncomfortable, and I used to drink 3 or 4 diet Cokes a day. I don't really miss them.

This is always an interesting topic and always debated. Carbonated drinks bother me, but every once in while I have a diet soda over a lot of ice, and I try to get as much of the bubbles out.