Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As Anyone Done Medifast Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery ?

On two separate occasions, I lost over 100 lbs doing Medifast. The problem was I couldn't keep it off.

And during my 9 week pre op diet, I lost 33 lbs doing Medifast.

SO - fast forward to one month post sleeve -

I lost 9 lbs the first week after surgery.

The following 3 weeks I lost 3 more but then GAINED 2 back.

I have no idea why, I'm eating approx 80 grams Protein, 5-600 calories and 20 grams of carbs.

I know Medifast works, I'm so frustrated I'm thinking about doing it post sleeve.

Anyone else do this?

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I was considering doing Medifast or a cheaper version of it post op in order to take the weight off quickly and then maintain from there. But I don't know if that's just my old way of thinking taking hold. I'm curious to see what the responses will be! The problem is, it is so difficult to do that there's a chance you could end up on a yo-yo cycle.

putasleeveonit - thanks for your reply. I was hoping to have more responses, I guess no one is doing medifast post sleeve.

I think I'm going to try it and see how it goes. Can't hurt, I'm not losing doing what I'm doing. :(

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I was considering doing Medifast or a cheaper version of it post op in order to take the weight off quickly and then maintain from there. But I don't know if that's just my old way of thinking taking hold. I'm curious to see what the responses will be! The problem is, it is so difficult to do that there's a chance you could end up on a yo-yo cycle.

I was just talking to a girl at work the other day that 'sells' that stuff. I was looking at her catalog. I do not want to eat that stuff, but the drinks are what was of interest to me, i cannot stand the typical Protein drinks anymore, and I am on a slippery slope into carb land with the Cookies and candy. I am just about a year out, OMG!!! and I am maintaining my BMI Goal of Normal give or take the 1 pound up and down during that time of month. I would like to get down to 135, but hey I have time for that! My main problem is that I constantly drink all day and do not eat nearly anything. I do not get enough protein in because I am so full of hot tea, iced coffee, iced tea, Water, crystal lite, you name it i'm drinking it. At least I'm well hydrated! But I throw in a few cookies and I'm good to go! Are the protein drinks (not shakes) good?

I hated the medifast pre-op and will not try it again. Please give your body some time. I know it' shard. I stalled at day 9 for 4 weeks and 3 days and started to loose again after that. It's a rough hall and once it's moving again, you will feel so much better, try measurments and see ifyour losing inches while in thsi stall. It's really ormal and some people ahve 3 day stalls and other have up to 6 weeks. Just keep doing as your doctor said on the diet and check with your Nut to see if it's all going ok..if so...then your just in a stall.

also try on a pair of pants from pre surgeryand see how it feels in them..are they HUGE?

Good luck..it's so very hard dealign with a stall but know this ...as your body converts fat to muscle and has to ragain back the Water needed for that process, if you not gaining weight, your losing inches.

Gayle

I agree with taking it slow.. I know you get frustrated and want to rip your hair out (which i advise against cuz its gonna fall out anyway.... LOL).. Let the weight loss happen naturally, plus the faster you lose, the more saggy your skin will look... I just started losing a lot quicker and my skin is looking so bad i'm afraid to look in the mirror.. Losing slowly allows your skin to regain its elasticity.. Just my thoughts...

fyi: About your calories.. are you writing every single little thing down??? drinks, additives, Condiments even??? Cuz once i started doing that (about 2 months ago) i realized how skewed my daily totally were in comparison with what i thought they were... Also, 20 grams of carbs... total or net carbs??? cuz if you are going with net carbs, then your real carb intake is much higher than you think...

I agree with taking it slow.. I know you get frustrated and want to rip your hair out (which i advise against cuz its gonna fall out anyway.... LOL).. Let the weight loss happen naturally, plus the faster you lose, the more saggy your skin will look... I just started losing a lot quicker and my skin is looking so bad i'm afraid to look in the mirror.. Losing slowly allows your skin to regain its elasticity.. Just my thoughts...

fyi: About your calories.. are you writing every single little thing down??? drinks, additives, Condiments even??? Cuz once i started doing that (about 2 months ago) i realized how skewed my daily totally were in comparison with what i thought they were... Also, 20 grams of carbs... total or net carbs??? cuz if you are going with net carbs, then your real carb intake is much higher than you think...

I totally agree with the above. Start a food log. In our Option's group we used one and was told we should use on the rest of our lives. Just do we know exactly what we're eating....

I think I shared this in another post, but I wound up finding that the soy in all the medifast products didn't agree with me. Alot of gurgling gassy feeling and the doctor told me that means I am probabaly not digesting it very well, not absorbing the Protein very well.

I think the drinks taste okay, but i don't think they taste better then whey Protein Drinks. The whey drinks you can buy at GNC are cheaper then medifast too - so post surgery I am definately not doing medifast.

I did Medifast this spring for two months. In that time I lost over 25 pounds, but had to stop because something in it was causing breast lumps! It was the only think I did differently at the time I started getting them and within a week of stopping the diet they were gone, even my doctor was stumped by it. The vanilla/strawberry shakes are gross. I prefer the Isopure strawberry much much more.

All in all, I don't intend to ever touch Medifast or anything like it again. Too much money, tastes pretty bad and just over bad for you.. And did I mention the regain was way worse than what I lost?

Eventually you will have to go on "regular" food. You have the sleeve to learn how to re-train your body and brain to work together and control your intake- As with any liquid diet when you go back on "regular" food there will obvioulsy be a gain because you cannot possibly be getting all the nutrients alone in liquid form.

I would talk to your doctor if you are at a lull- discuss what you are doing for exercise; often times that can be changed just once a week to re-vamp your system.

Or talk to your nutritionist about an alternative that has foods you like that are healthier choices.

I did Medifast on my own two years before surgery. While I totally understand your frustration I think you're jumping the gun here. Your sleeve is still new!

I think part of the idea of this surgery over other options is to shake that diet mentality. We want and need to feel like we're not deprived. Medifast is not only expensive, it's just not as good for you as something you can make yourself! If you want to go all liquids and bars, do it with better quality Protein shakes and supplements. I have an awesome unflavored Protein powder by Integrated supplements that I can mix into soy milk or fruit juice and not taste at all. It's versatile, it's easy and it does the same thing as Medifast without the additives and sodium.

I didn't lose much at all in the beginning. Instead of going back to an old solution, I'd try to figure out what I can do to make this work. Log your food. I'll be honest, sometimes the diets our doctors give us are one-size-fits-all but the reality is we're very different. Try adding more carbs in - I tried to pare my intake down as far as I could but quickly learned that I do best over 50 grams a day. Your body just had a huge shock - and now it's not sure what to do. It's going to take time.

I'd say if you're not dropping weight at a reasonable pace after 2 months that you should consider new options. But for now? Just heal and build good habits. This isn't a race, so take your time. You're going to lose the weight unless you give up and sabotage yourself.

Relax! The beginning is tough. Hang in there, it passes more quickly than you think.

~Cheri