Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnancy update- Important Details

Fair warning this is a pretty emotional post, and while I rarely share my emotional stuff, I ask that you all pray for my family.

For those who have followed the pregnancy fairly closely, or that I have spoken to one on one, know my history with the jacked up clotting disorder and aspirin therapy to help my platelet function etc etc. My platelets had been stabilized until last week and they've dropped to 77k. Which is too low for an epidural, and now we are looking at other therapies to help with this situation.

As I laid there bawling when they told me that the only way for me to deliver safely is under general anesthesia, I just went right back to my horrible anesthesia complications that occurred during my revision. For those who do not know, I had horrible anesthesia issues during my leak repair, landed in ICU on a ventilator with a very grave prognosis and only a 10% survival chance after my leak repair. That episode has forever traumatized me and the doctors are actually recommending that I seek some therapy to deal with my anxiety and mild PTSD symptoms that I exhibit with general anesthesia discussions. I do not and have never suffered from any sort of anxiety in my life, but general anesthesia being mentioned sends me into a panic. I was on the monitors when they were telling me, and my HB spiked, Tatum's heartbeat spiked and then I started having mild contractions. Seriously, general anesthesia scares the poop out of me. Take away the fact that I want to hear her first cry, I want to be awake, I simply do not want to endure general anesthesia again, I am praying that we can get my numbers up. Least to say, this is a very difficult situation for me to manage. I'm asking for prayers, good thoughts, swing a fricken chicken I don't care, but if I ever need some good stuff to come my way, it's right now.

Here's the awesomeness of VSG:

As for another reason as to why I am beyond grateful for VSG, during the discussion with the OB about the clotting disorder and what we were going to do to manage through this platelet count dropping, he said "well the only other option we have is Prednisone therapy, but with your pouch, you can not have steroids." I said " Dr. B, I had the partial gastrectomy, NO pouch, NO RNY, NO stoma, I know it's tough to remember, but I have a normal stomach, just smaller". This is one of my high risk OB(I see 2 in the office) so I forgive him for not remembering I had VSG and not RNY. Anyways, his reply was "FABULOUS, you can take pred, and this should get your platelets back up, we'll put you on a super low dose, eat with the pred, you are going to GAIN more weight, you are going to be hungry, you are going to drinking tons of Water, BUT at least we'll have a fighting chance for you to be able to have an epidural and be awake for her arrival." I started bawling even harder because if I would have listened to the surgeons, and allowed another human to decide what I would do to my body, I would NOT be able to safely take the prednisone. I would definitely be having general anesthesia delivery.

So, let me again tell you all just how phenomenal the sleeve has been for me. I am forever grateful that I was able to revise from the band to VSG. I would seriously endure every single struggle, every day of being NPO, every single hurdle of not being able to eat or drink, and every single difficulty to have this life I have today. I have to have more labs pulled on Tuesday, and then we will start the pred therapy the following week. This will give me 2 weeks on the pred and that should be enough time to get my platelet counts up.

Tatum is doing perfect. Let me just state that VSG has in NO way complicated my pregnancy, nor slowed down her growth and development. She is weighing 4lb9oz(which is perfect and in the 30th percentile for weight), and is measuring right on target for length. She is absolutely great, and thriving. It's pretty much my body that is giving us issues. I knew going in that my previous health issues, and history would complicate pregnancy so I was prepared for it. However, I was not prepared for the extensiveness of the complications.

34 weeks- She was sucking her thumb, and we could see long baby hairs on her head this time! ! !

294545_10150379994456418_744801417_10178477_1178009682_n.jpg

Hey, I'm the one that just connected w/ you on FB....... we are FL neighbors! I will be praying for the steroid to work for you. My first was a c-section under general, it was at FWB medical center. My second was also a c-section but that one was a spinal. Then I rebelled and had my next 2 babies vbac. All was fine with the first under general but it was hard not being awake to see my first baby. Many prayers your way

I'm so sorry to hear that you are struggeling. I know with all of my heart that everything is going to be ok for you because of all of the good you do for people on here. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

first and formost....i will be praying for you and Tatum. second i am so happy for you that Tatum is thriving, as when i first read the discription of your post i thought something had happend to her.

now, do you have to have a c-section, and that is why the epidural is required? if the answer is no for the c-section then if you dont want to miss her first cry, and moments after would you consider delivering natural? not that i am against epidural, as i am not! they are the best thing every made! lol

but it is such an important time in your life to miss. i have had both natural and epidural deliverys by the way :)

i have 3 children...the first 2 were natural and the last one i had the plessure of having a great epidural. i also have had 3 miscarriges and 2 of them were considered still births since they were past 20 weeks along.

i sure hope and pray that your levels will go back so that there will not have to be this issue for you. just wanted to throw some stuff out for you.

natural delivery is very hard, however there are some great narcotics that they can give you to take the edge off.

please keep us posted. also i wanted to let you know how beautiful you look as a pregnant woman. you look amazing and very happy. best wishes your way :)

first and formost....i will be praying for you and Tatum. second i am so happy for you that Tatum is thriving, as when i first read the discription of your post i thought something had happend to her.

now, do you have to have a c-section, and that is why the epidural is required? if the answer is no for the c-section then if you dont want to miss her first cry, and moments after would you consider delivering natural? not that i am against epidural, as i am not! they are the best thing every made! lol

but it is such an important time in your life to miss. i have had both natural and epidural deliverys by the way :)

i have 3 children...the first 2 were natural and the last one i had the plessure of having a great epidural. i also have had 3 miscarriges and 2 of them were considered still births since they were past 20 weeks along.

i sure hope and pray that your levels will go back so that there will not have to be this issue for you. just wanted to throw some stuff out for you.

natural delivery is very hard, however there are some great narcotics that they can give you to take the edge off.

please keep us posted. also i wanted to let you know how beautiful you look as a pregnant woman. you look amazing and very happy. best wishes your way :)

Thank you bunches ! ! !

I am having a repeat/scheduled csection. Due to the clotting disorder, a t-anchor incision during my first csection(13 years ago), and a horrendous amount of scar tissue and adhesions on my uterus which were increased by the drains that were placed after my revision to drain abscesses that developed in my abdominal and pelvic cavity, a VBAC is not advisable, as much as people want to say they are fine, great and good, it is not a good idea for my body. If I were to have a bleed with a vaginal delivery, they could not get to it fast enough, my uterus is possibly adhered to the wall, making my risk for uterine rupture about 90%, I'm not willing to take that risk just to deliver naturally. . Grant it, I have zero desire to shoot a child out of my vagina, but it is not medically recommended for me to attempt a VBAC. Plus, due to other medical issues, we are considering a partial hysterectomy during the csection, at a bare minimum I will have my tubes tied because I have been advised to not have more children. The condition I have is MTHFR(that's just the acronym if anyone feels froggy and wants to research it or get a general overview of the condition), it increases the risks of birth defects especially spina bifida, along with all the lovely stuff it does to my body.

Hey Tiff,

I am sending you positive and loving vibes from across the pond. I really hope that you will get to a good place and have your beautiful baby girl the way YOU want to. Sending you cyber hugs my friend. xx

Aw, I am so sorry about this complication, but like everything else I know you will meet this head on. I am really hoping the prednisone treatment works for you and that you can hear your baby girl cry. Good luck, lady!

Father, I pray that you cover Tiffykins and her baby. I pray peace, comfort, and healing over her in Jesus name.

You will be in my prayers...hugs!

Tiff, I am thinking of you and Tatum and hoping the Pred works. I know how important it is to you. Sending positive vibes your way!!

Oh I very much will be hoping that the prednisone does the job! I am thinking of you and Tatum and your son and husband as well. Much peace and many hugs to you. Keep us posted, we're all here for you. <3

Tiff-

After reading your post, I immediately bowed my head in prayer for you and Tatum. I prayed that the Lord would increase your platelet levels and that you will be able to have the kind of delivery you wish to. One of my favorite quotes is" Faith is not believing that God can, Faith is knowing that He will".

I can't wait to hear from you next week that your levels are exactly where they should be.

Believing in Christ,

well i sue pray that your levels go up so that this wont be an issue and you can hear those prescious first crys! sending you hugs and prayers :)

Thank you bunches ! ! !

I am having a repeat/scheduled csection. Due to the clotting disorder, a t-anchor incision during my first csection(13 years ago), and a horrendous amount of scar tissue and adhesions on my uterus which were increased by the drains that were placed after my revision to drain abscesses that developed in my abdominal and pelvic cavity, a VBAC is not advisable, as much as people want to say they are fine, great and good, it is not a good idea for my body. If I were to have a bleed with a vaginal delivery, they could not get to it fast enough, my uterus is possibly adhered to the wall, making my risk for uterine rupture about 90%, I'm not willing to take that risk just to deliver naturally. . Grant it, I have zero desire to shoot a child out of my vagina, but it is not medically recommended for me to attempt a VBAC. Plus, due to other medical issues, we are considering a partial hysterectomy during the csection, at a bare minimum I will have my tubes tied because I have been advised to not have more children. The condition I have is MTHFR(that's just the acronym if anyone feels froggy and wants to research it or get a general overview of the condition), it increases the risks of birth defects especially spina bifida, along with all the lovely stuff it does to my body.