Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

would love some tips on how to deal with a sweet tooth

I'm 10 months since my surgery, my weight loss is slow but steady. I usually eat very healthy, high Protein low carb but my problem is sweets. I don't keep sweets in my house normally but if I do I can't help myself. I know I should have more self control but this has always been a struggle. Even if i go out and there is sweets sitting around I will eat it and if I'm not eating it I'm thinking about how much I want it. Last week I found a three month old lollypop and ate it. I know I sound pathetic but I would love to hear how you all deal with your sweet tooth or is it only me that has this problem. Thank you Janine

Have you tried putting something sweet (bite of pie, bite of cheesecake and I am using these as examples) in your mouth and chewing it up until you just about to swallow it and spit it out. I know it sounds gross but for me it tends to make my situation a little more brighter and I get to swallow what is left after spitting 99% of it out. Other than that I really don't have anything else..other than suffering..lol

I honestly believe you should eat whatever you want. And I don't mean, oh, just have a little bite of this or that, or spit it out, or reserve it for the weekends or whatever. I think you should eat whatever you want, whenever you want. With the following rules: Protein first. get your supplements, and manage your nutrition. When fitness people and nutritionists say that denying yourself too much will result in you "feeling deprived, " that's a reality. Your brain, your subconcious and your appetite feedback system equates stress and deprivation with those foods and then you get focused on them. It's a head trip. Just eat what you want. Even if you go nuts for a while I guarantee you eventually your body and brain will get sick of the stuff and put it in proper perspective. Sooner than you think it will, too.

Try Oh Yeah! wafer bars. The WAFER bars, not the ones like flavored cement. The wafer bars are kind of like a Kit-Kat, sweet and crunchy and have 7 grams of Protein and 105 calories in each stick (2 sticks to a package). One stick is plenty and satisfies my sweet tooth. They come in chocolate, vanilla, and Peanut Butter flavor.

Try Oh Yeah! wafer bars. The WAFER bars, not the ones like flavored cement. The wafer bars are kind of like a Kit-Kat, sweet and crunchy and have 7 grams of Protein and 105 calories in each stick (2 sticks to a package). One stick is plenty and satisfies my sweet tooth. They come in chocolate, Vanilla, and Peanut Butter flavor.

Oh man, my FAVORITE!!!

Guess I've gotta try the Oh Yeah wafer bars then! Where do you guys find this stuff? Do you just shop online, or are you finding them at local vitamin/nutrition stores?

I can't eat whatever I want, that tends to lead me into BIG trouble (unfortunately, I've found my sleeve doesn't punish me if I go overboard on sweets, and I could eat more that I'd hoped!). But I totally agree that it's important to eat in a way you think you can live with, FOREVER. Otherwise I get myself into a mentality that this is a diet, implying that it will end at some point, and I can go back to my old food habits. NOPE!!

Low-carbing is definitely helping with sugar cravings for me. I have a Calcet creamy bite chocolate each evening as a mini-dessert. Not sure how long that will go on fooling my taste buds, but it's very brownie-like. I also have a small bite of things - a spoon full of my husband's ice cream when he has it, or a couple of small tastes of a restaurant dessert if I'm tempted, thoroughly savored.

I also have some alternatives - half an Atkins PB Cup, or Eggface's recipe for espresso chocolate Protein truffles, or SF pudding with SF coolwhip.

It's a balance I'm still finding. I need the occasional treat so I don't feel deprived, but too much can set off a domino of bad eating...

I'll try those wafer bars, they seem like a good diversion. I don't think I could spit out cheesecake or other deserts, interesting idea though. I don't kow why I'm craviing sweets more than usual but I guess tricking my sweet tooth for as long as possible is a good idea. Thank you for the ideas, Janine

My fix of choice when I need a sweet or treat is a sugar free chocolate fudgesicle ... love them and only 40 calories each.

Below is info that others asked on the Wafer Bars: I have never tried them, 210 calories for package of two. I eat my sugar free fudgesicle!

43-11397-X500.gif

2 sticks in package - 1 package = 210 Calories, 14 Protein, 2 sugars and they dont list exact Carb... they already have it deducted from the Fiber and list "Net Carb" of 8.... You really have to read the label instead of thier display cause they will have the nice cardboard display that shows "only 90 calories".. but they are referring to only one stick, and the sentence underneath that on the display says "14 g of quality protien" but they are referring to two sticks with that statement!!! LOL... just the way it is advertised, I think all of us quickly learn to read labels!!!

Where do you get the Wafer bars and what is the brand name?

You can find Oh Yeah! wafer bars at GNC. They cost 99 cents at my store in CA. You can also order them on Amazon.com. I have a Ship and Save order for a box to be delivered every three months.

is it mainly around TMI when you have cravings? That's my problem point.

Try:

Gum - minty works best

Pickles - dill takes away sweet cravings

Never, ever eat a sweet on an empty stomach. It will set you up for cravings later. Eat Protein when your stomach is empty. Then if you still want the treat do it.

Carbsmart ice cream bars. That's my indulgence. They are heavenly and only 9 grams carbs (net 5) and 170 calories. If ice cream is your thing these will do it for ya.

OK, here's where I might get hollered at but: coffee. Caffeine takes away appetite and gives you a boost. It's my drug of choice.

2 sticks in package - 1 package = 210 Calories, 14 Protein, 2 sugars and they dont list exact Carb... they already have it deducted from the Fiber and list "Net Carb" of 8.... You really have to read the label instead of thier display cause they will have the nice cardboard display that shows "only 90 calories".. but they are referring to only one stick, and the sentence underneath that on the display says "14 g of quality protien" but they are referring to two sticks with that statement!!! LOL... just the way it is advertised, I think all of us quickly learn to read labels!!!

That is soooo deceptive. Marketers are evil.

You are SOOOO definitely not the only person with challenges with sweets!!! I do not keep them in the house or I too will eat them. My biggest problem is if I am in situations where they are there for the taking. It could be stuff left in the break room or our administrators are FAMOUS for bringing in goodies. Our office is like a non-stop food gourmet. If we aren't having food catered in for various meetings, or people aren't cooking or bringing in food stuff left out for others. So far I have been fairly good about that stuff.

I was hoping to stay away from processed sugar until I reached goal, but I blew that one last week. I guess it's not realistic to think I will never eat processed sugar again, and maybe if I can learn to eat it in moderation (thank you SLEEVE!!!), I should be ok.

Hang in there. Don't beat yourself up if you slip up on some bad carbs- but the suggestion for Protein first and the other stuff you should be eating is a good idea. Then, if you have room left over, then have a small treat. I know sometimes we don't plan when the situations where being surrounded by bad carbs can't be pre-planned.

Your doing great- keep it up!

I'm 10 months since my surgery, my weight loss is slow but steady. I usually eat very healthy, high Protein low carb but my problem is sweets. I don't keep sweets in my house normally but if I do I can't help myself. I know I should have more self control but this has always been a struggle. Even if i go out and there is sweets sitting around I will eat it and if I'm not eating it I'm thinking about how much I want it. Last week I found a three month old lollypop and ate it. I know I sound pathetic but I would love to hear how you all deal with your sweet tooth or is it only me that has this problem. Thank you Janine