Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Apnea-what difference does it make?

So I've already been approved by my insurance but my last step is the surgeon required sleep eval, in which the doc sent me for a sleep study that revealed I have mild sleep apnea (obstructive). So all this time I'm thinking I'm having surgery in August, then Sept, then maybe October, well now I would not be surprised if its not til December because they want to do a 14 download of how I do with the CPAP with a pressure of 8 and if the download has the info the doc needs she will release me if not she wants more days, etc. Then I still have to set a date for surgery and start the 2 week pre-op diet. I'm so mad because I feel this is all keeping me from having my VSG. I kknow it's stupid to think like that, and I know this is for my own good, but I can't help to be bothered by the fact that this is taking sooooo long!!! If they know I have apnea, cant they just give me the machine and let the surgeon know? I am really tempted to go to another surgeon who does not require a sleep eval release. . .

Sounds ridiculous. Did you spend a night at a sleep center? I spent one night and was diagnosed, then one more night to determine the pressure I need & try different machines. That is it aside from phone calls asking me how I am doing and an appointment coming up soon where they will read what data in the machine.

I am surprised your surgeon requires this AFTER being approved by your insurance and that it takes months for you rather than 2 evenings for me.

Do you have any surgeons & hospitals of excellence in your area? If you take your approval to one of them, you could probably have surgery in a few weeks!

Don't be mad at me for saying this...but even mild apnea has the possibility of killing you. Now...why they want you on a machine rather than teaching you to keep your head elevated, I don't know. That was all I did after the tech told me I had it. (Imagine my surprise when I started waking up feeling refreshed! LOL )

Sorry they are making it such a drawn out process for you!

Since you do have sleep apnea, it's important to find out what settings work best for you to control your apnic episodes. With the right settings it will help reduce risks of surgery and help with a speedy recovery. Although important, your Dr seems to be dragging out the process! Good luck with everything! I hope the day comes sooner rather than later! :)

I have a surgeon that will not even send a patients info in for insurance approval until he has a sleep study in hand. If the study comes up positive he will not proceed until after a CPAP is being used and a second sleep study done. Some surgeons have very strict guidelines that they follow and others are more lenient it seems.

I can tell you that being diagnosed with Sleep Apnea was one of my biggest fears; I have a huge phobia of having ANYTHING near my nose or mouth! I was really sweating out the results...thank goodness the test was negative. I wish you the best!

Did I misunderstand the question and comments made by the original poster? I am surprised by the answers she is getting.

It seemed to me she is upset about the timeline. She is questioning the length of time it is taking to complete the sleep study and proceed to surgery. In my case it only took a few short weeks from initial sleep study, to diagnosis of severe sleep apnea, to second sleep study and receiving a machine. It is taking her months!

I am surprised they are delaying for sleep apnea. I was diagnosed years ago with severe apnea, over 100 episodes per hour. While they wanted me to bring the machine to the hospital, I never used it since I slept sitting up. Neither the surgeon nor the anestigiolist (spelling) was concerned. I can understand being under and wanting to make sure you are breathing but to delay?

Look toward the future. I2 months prior to surgery I tried a new sleep study but part of the machine didn't work correctly so the doctor wouldn't change diagnosis. The partial results showed I only had 45 episodes per hour. Now 2 months post surgery I had a sleep study and down to 0.7 episodes per hour so the machine gets turned in soon.

Short of it, you will get your surgery and may be able to get rid of the cpap since you only have a minor case of it.

no way you don't sound stupid at all I feel your pain everything they have you do takes week more && more weeks just know your eventually gonna get there.

So I've already been approved by my insurance but my last step is the surgeon required sleep eval, in which the doc sent me for a sleep study that revealed I have mild sleep apnea (obstructive). So all this time I'm thinking I'm having surgery in August, then Sept, then maybe October, well now I would not be surprised if its not til December because they want to do a 14 download of how I do with the CPAP with a pressure of 8 and if the download has the info the doc needs she will release me if not she wants more days, etc. Then I still have to set a date for surgery and start the 2 week pre-op diet. I'm so mad because I feel this is all keeping me from having my VSG. I kknow it's stupid to think like that, and I know this is for my own good, but I can't help to be bothered by the fact that this is taking sooooo long!!! If they know I have apnea, cant they just give me the machine and let the surgeon know? I am really tempted to go to another surgeon who does not require a sleep eval release. . .

Ok everyone, first fo all thanks for all your comments. . .just to clarify, the whole wls has taken months but the sleep study and stuff just a couple of weeks. I was lucky they did like a 2 in 1 on the study because they already knew to put me on a pressure of 8 when I picked up my machine over 2 wks ago. So I went to the doctor yesterday with the 14 day download she required. The nurse had told me that rarely people get released in the first 14 day attempt because they dont use cpap correctly or at all bla bla bla. So I get there and the nurse tells me my info looks great, then the doc comes in and tells me I'm an ideal candidate and that she is soooo amazed at my results. Of course she releases me so I should get a call with surgery date anytime now. If always been a very compliant patient so I knew I would try my best but was very frustrated since she was telling me more than likely it would take longer. Not the case, I totally got an A+ on the 14 day download. Went from 14 episodes per hr to 2.8 and she said to keep using it and come see her after I reach goal. So as all you can imagine I'm so so so happy that I stuck to this and didn't wind up at another surgeons office. So thanks for your support and comments. One question though, more than one of you mentions elevating head, etc. I was never told that. Can any of you explain i what position does the head have to rest, etc. I want to make sure my kids and hubby are sleeping in the best position possible.

I had severe sleep apnea before my surgey (480 lbs) I would have over 100 apena's per hour.. Now I weigh 322.5 lbs and I had to be switched to an auto titrating machine becuase my apnea is decreasing so fast they can not keep up with it. I was 136 on the disruptive sleep scale, now i am a 26.. 20 is normal i hope to be off the machine by 2012.

My first pressure setting was 16, now it's 4.2 the machine only goes to 3....

As soon as you start losing weight they are going to have to change the pressure settings on your machine so make sure they give you an auto titrating machine in the first place....

Good luck on your journey it is worth every PITA....