Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2.5 more months until my 1 year Surgiversary and I am STRESSED out!!!

Anxious stressed out mess. I am a slow loser and I tend to put a lot of pressure on myself. Matter of fact, I feel like I have failed. I started out at my highest 288....pre-surgery 273...and as of today I am 190. A total of 83 lbs. lost since surgery. Problem is I have roughly 50 more to go....and 2.5 months before I see my Surgeon again. I feel like I should be closer to my goal but in the back of my mind I know it's slightly irrational. Everyone keeps telling me 83 lbs in this short period of time is a lot. I do agree, but Surgeon's go by percentages and numbers. Need some supportive opinions.....

I'd have to agree, 83 pounds lost is a great accomplishment and to that I say CONGRATS! Don't put so much pressure on yourself. The weight will come off. I've read so many times that when you're more than half way to goal the weigh loss takes a little longer and if that's true than you are right on point. Be encouraged and keep up the good work.

Continued success,

NIki

My doctor told me he looks for 2-3 pound loss a week. You are at about 42 weeks, which is right at 2 pounds a week. That is right on target.

Thank You for your much appreciated support ladies!!!!! Feeling a bit better and less stressed :) Here is to all of our continued success!!!

Hi HeTKF, I believe we are doing just about the same, you're actually doing a little better than me. My surgery was on 11/1 my weight was (274 pre op) 265 and I'm now 188 with 43 left to lose. I'm nervous also about hitting that year mark without getting to goal. But than I think how could i not get to goal, I still only eat about 850 usually healthy calories and I keep increasing my workouts and my restriction hasn't changed in the last few months. I know I compare myself to other which I should not be doing but I still feel proud of myself and so should you. My doctor said we continue to lose for up to two years. We don't have that much left to lose, so it will be slower but a least we have the tool to keep going. Good luck, message me if you want. Janine

Anxious stressed out mess. I am a slow loser and I tend to put a lot of pressure on myself. Matter of fact, I feel like I have failed. I started out at my highest 288....pre-surgery 273...and as of today I am 190. A total of 83 lbs. lost since surgery. Problem is I have roughly 50 more to go....and 2.5 months before I see my Surgeon again. I feel like I should be closer to my goal but in the back of my mind I know it's slightly irrational. Everyone keeps telling me 83 lbs in this short period of time is a lot. I do agree, but Surgeon's go by percentages and numbers. Need some supportive opinions.....

Hi HeTKF, I believe we are doing just about the same, you're actually doing a little better than me. My surgery was on 11/1 my weight was (274 pre op) 265 and I'm now 188 with 43 left to lose. I'm nervous also about hitting that year mark without getting to goal. But than I think how could i not get to goal, I still only eat about 850 usually healthy calories and I keep increasing my workouts and my restriction hasn't changed in the last few months. I know I compare myself to other which I should not be doing but I still feel proud of myself and so should you. My doctor said we continue to lose for up to two years. We don't have that much left to lose, so it will be slower but a least we have the tool to keep going. Good luck, message me if you want. Janine

Thank You Janine :) I am finally down to 185 and i have roughly 45 more to go. If I want to be at 135 it will be more like 50 to go,,,,,but I will be happy at 140. Glad to hear there is someone that feels like i do about this. My anxiety has been very high and I wanted to be as close as possible by the time I saw my Surgeon. I am doing the same things you are but for a while there I was able to eat a lot more than normal. It seems to have gone pretty close to what it was before now. Some people seem to be pretty competitive in the WLS community and it can mess with your head a bit. That is why I try to limit what I read on here every now and again. Good Luck to you too!!! Feel free to message me as well.

you are doing great! it doesnt matter what the surgeon thinks anymore anyhow. it normally takes people 2 years to get to goal anyways. keep doing what youre already doing and you will be just fine. keep smiling :)

I can completely relate, except I've given up on being "stressed" about it. Would I love to be at goal? SURE! Heck would I love to be 'further' along? You bet! But this is a process, and our tool is our forever tool, so even if it takes us longer (I'm only ONE month away from my 1 year anniversary) I still plan on getting to goal.

I know it's hard when people on here race to goal in 6, 9, 12 months, but that isn't my story...it's theirs. And I'm finally at a point where I am HAPPY with what I see in the mirror! Yes, of course I stil have weight to lose, but I'm not ever going to shop in the plus sizes again, my weight begins with the number ONE, my loose skin is not an issue at this point, so I've decided to relax and enjoy the ride. I am shopping at thrift stores and Goodwill right now because in one more year I do plan on reaching goal, so I can still shop and not feel guilty about buying something that probably won't fit me this time next year.

This is our forever tool. There is no expiration date, no end of the line just because we have a 1 year surgiversary. I know everyone talks about the honeymoon period and honestly I think my honeymoon period was 3 months long...my 4th month post-op I lost exactly 2 lbs. And in months 8 and 9 I lost nothing. And I didn't do anything different during those slow or non-existent loss periods than I did when I was losing a few lbs a week. So my body just isn't going to put up big numbers each week and I'm finally okay with that.

You are doing fine, keep working your sleeve and eventually the weight will keep coming off!

Please don't beat yourself up over the 'goal' thing... concentrate on that bloody amazing 80+lb that you have lost. That is such a great achievement and in a short space of time. The better health you are experiencing now is a goal in itself!

I am 14+mths out... I have 14lb to my surgeon's goal and 28lb to my personal one. I am such a slow loser that it is almost painful. I went through a stage, at around the same time post op as you, and I was in such a 'dark' place about not losing quickly and not going to be at goal that I could really feel myself getting depressed about it. I really had to change my train of thought and concentrate on other things that wasn't scale and number related. It dawned on my about 4 weeks ago that I am now healthy, active and fitter than I have been for over 15yrs. My God! That was a real wake up call I can tell you.

I will get to goal, and if it takes me another year then so be it... Of course, I would like it to be sooner... but my body and my head are constantly in battle with each other and my body is fighting each and every pound... it will come off when my body allows it to and there is nothing I can do to speed it up - believe me, I have tried all the tricks and tips given on this board!

Hang on in there and remember what an amazing job you have done so far... sometimes, when I am feeling a little frustrated or annoyed I get my 'fat' clothes out and try them on... then watch my jeans fall to the floor... look at how stupildy big the tops are... have a little chuckle to myself and pat myself on the back for a job well done so far! Try it!!! And good luck =]

Thank you for those great words from all of you!!! Truly inspirational. We need to hear that more often. I had the same situation started out with a bang and now slowly making progress. I have my 6 month check up the first week in October and was starting to stress as well but I decided not to worry about it and just do what I have been doing, exercising and eating right and slowly enjoy the progress. thanks everyone for getting everyone back on track.

Ever since I hit around five months, I totally stalled out. I gained and lost the same 2kg for weeks and weeks. I'm still on the low end of that same 2kg now. Well, I figure things will move as they will move and I'm not going to get all fussed about it. I really do enjoy the ride (not so much the clothing issue LOL), so I'm just sort of taking my own route and getting there in my body's own time. I'm seven months out as of yesterday (just realised that!) and I've lost about 32kg or like 68lb (LOL...don't check my math, I suck at the conversion). There are people here who've blown past me much more quickly than that and every now and then it gives me a pang. But then I remember, we're all different -- that's their bodies, mine just does things differently. Meh, fine. We'll take it slow then. smile.gif Having said all that, my doctors/nuts always tell me how great I'm doing, but they also don't do 'goal' weights or 'projected rates of loss' at ALL. They take a super indivdualised approach, and that helps me remember that the differences in individuals DO matter.

So that's my soapbox du jour. Slow losers are still losers, and we all rock, frankly. <3

Glad to see this post. My goal was at least 100 pounds by my 1 year anni. I would have thought I would be in onederland by now, but I am not (205). So It is my hope to reach 181 by January (4 months) but I am a slow loser coming to grips with losing slow. You would think 6-7 pounds a month is totally doable, but its hard for me. I hope to get to the point of Coops and MG2.

I want to figure out how to save this post so I can keep rereading it when I'm feeling nervous about my weight loss. What's funny (not really haha) is that we all have lost alot of weight and a least for me, don't even see my 88 pounds in 10 months is really good, I have not been able to lose that much weight before. I still have great restriction, eat healthy and feel good. But I still only see I am not at goal and almost feel embarrassed about it.

I want to figure out how to save this post so I can keep rereading it when I'm feeling nervous about my weight loss. What's funny (not really haha) is that we all have lost alot of weight and a least for me, don't even see my 88 pounds in 10 months is really good, I have not been able to lose that much weight before. I still have great restriction, eat healthy and feel good. But I still only see I am not at goal and almost feel embarrassed about it.

Hey Jay9mal,

this is such a truth!

I think that the goal focus thing only puts a massive amount of pressure and stress on us. Believe me a year ago, I was admant that I would be a goal by now and one groovy hot chick... the reality is that, my body just ain't ready to be that groovy hot chick yet... ok, perhaps just a groovy chick!!! When my year marker came and I still hadn't reached my surgeons's goal, I was disappointed but happy with the progress... yet another conflicting mental state. Grrrrr!

I really have come to appreciate that I will get there in my own time. I have been struggling with weight gain and being morbidly obese for so many years, it is hard not to feel a little scared that my goal weight is ever going to happen. I know I am doing all I can, I think there are many of us here that are doing the same thing. As long as we are true to ourselves, we will do this.

There are days - not many - when I let go ... I eat as I please only much less, obviously. 6mths ago I would have been racked with guilt but now I feel that it is ok.... I am human and like I said, it is only now and again; perhaps once every 4-6 weeks.

Remember, slow but sure wins the race... =]

Hey, Het...I am a nurse and let me tell you this. Surgeons are some of the most tempermental little demi-gods on the face of the earth. Don't let your surgeon intimidate you or make you feel unsuccessful. You are doing great!!! You are the one living in your skin for the rest of your life, not him (or her, as the case may be). Slow and steady wins the race, and like I've posted before, this race is not a race between you and anyone else...it is a race to the goal. YEAH US!!!! Kathe