Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gall Bladder Surgery 9/20/11

Well... I have to have my Gallbladder removed on Tuesday.. It's full of stones and is only functioning @ 30%. I have a constant pain on the right side under my rib cage. Sometimes when I eat I get sharp, stabbing pain.. So I'll finally give in. :blink:

Did it hurt as much as the sleeve?

Is it pretty much the same as the sleeve? Just going home earlier?

Are there certain foods you can't eat anymore? If so, why?

I've a vegetarian so I get A LOT of my Protein from cheese... will that be a problem?

Any any other tidbits you would like to share...

Thank You!!!

-Kelli

Hi Kelli. I am also due for gall bladder removal, in November.

I've heard that it is a breeze, and nowhere near as difficult as the sleeve surgery. Most people leave hospital the next day and recovery is very quick.

Good luck for your surgery, I'm sure it'll be fine and you'll feel so much better afterwards! x

Well... I have to have my Gallbladder removed on Tuesday.. It's full of stones and is only functioning @ 30%. I have a constant pain on the right side under my rib cage. Sometimes when I eat I get sharp, stabbing pain.. So I'll finally give in. :blink:

I've a vegetarian so I get A LOT of my Protein from cheese... will that be a problem?

Thank You!!!

-Kelli

Its been three weeks for me now since the date, and starting yesterday I am having sharp shooting pains on my right side also but they feel like they are a knife in my back. Not sure if I am just freaking out about this what did you do to know what was wrong, also you said your pain was from the front?

For me, I had to have mine out 2 months before i was sleeved. It was easier and a lot less stressful than the sleeve. Its usually day surgery, I left the hospital by 3:00. I was sore for a few days and be careful of fats even healthy fats until your body adjusts to not having a gall bladder. I tell people I never realized how sick my gall bladder made me until I had it taken out. Between the weight loss and not having that constant pain in my right side I always feel great. Good luck with the surgery, Janine

Thank You!!!

-Kelli

Thank You!!!

-Kelli

I had my gallbladder removed about a year before I was sleeved. My surgery was at 8am and I was home by 12:00pm that same day. I went home and ate lunch, took it easy all day. The next day I went shopping with some friends for a coupld of hours. It was a breeze!

Immediately following surgery I had difficulty with dairy products. It took about 2 months before dairy products didn't go straight through me. Thankfully, that wasn't a problem for me after the sleeve.

For me it was about the same as the sleeve. I had a very quick and easy recovery from both surgeries. Just remember to get up and move around as soon as possible. You will definitely feel better in the long run! GL, you will do great!!

Its been three weeks for me now since the date, and starting yesterday I am having sharp shooting pains on my right side also but they feel like they are a knife in my back. Not sure if I am just freaking out about this what did you do to know what was wrong, also you said your pain was from the front?

I remember having those sharp stabbing back pains a few weeks after surgery and for me it never got bad enough to go to the Dr about it... I just assumed it was kidney pain because I was having a really hard time getting all of my fluids in. If it gets real bad definatly at least call your Dr to see if he thinks you should come in. My gallbladder pains are in the front, right side, right under my rib cage. Now I have read that some people get the back pains as well when they have gb problems. My dr ordered a ultrasound to see if there were stones and a HIDA scan to determine the function %.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon. :)

Fly Girl,

I'm sorry to hear about your pain and upcoming surgery. I too am in need of gallbladder surgery. I have felt very nervous and scared. But I am so sick of the pain and having to be super careful with my diet. I will be glad to finally have it out. After surgery you can eat anything! From what I know you just stay overnight. And when you wake up there won't be all of those restrictions that came with sleeve surgery (only drinking small amounts and liquid diet etc.) It will be liberating.

I am 9 weeks post-op and because my liver was so enlarged I have to lose a little bit more weight before I can safely have the gallbladder surgery. In fact I was going to have my gallbladder out at the same time as my sleeve but my liver was too enlarged and in the way.

Best of luck to you and you will be so much happier. How far out are you from your sleeve?

I had one of those hideous attacks last night where a stone tries to travel and I had to wait for it to dislodge itself. Took about 15 mins of deep breathing and rocking in a ball on the floor before it eased up and I'm still a bit sore this morning. My poor boyfriend was terrified! :rolleyes: I was the one giving the reassurance! Haha.

I'll definitely be glad to get rid of my gall bladder. I think it was some pistachio nuts which set it off this time, so I'll be avoiding nuts til after surgery for sure.

I'm kinda jealous your surgery in Tuesday, I'm waiting til November for mine dry.gif

Best of luck!!! x

Were any of you placed on medicine to prevent gall bladder stones and still required gallbladder surgery? Reason I an asking is because I am almost 3 weeks post op and my surgeon started me on medicine to prevent stones for rrrrrrrr next 6 months.

Were any of you placed on medicine to prevent gall bladder stones and still required gallbladder surgery? Reason I an asking is because I am almost 3 weeks post op and my surgeon started me on medicine to prevent stones for rrrrrrrr next 6 months.

I've heard about that med from reading posts on this site.. I had asked my surgeon about them before I was sleeved and he said he doesn't recommend it for his patients because the risks are bad for the liver (I think it was liver he said). I wish now though that I just would have had him take it out during my sleeve surgery. The other 2 surgeons in his office always take them out with every WLS... But anyway.. I have read about people who do take those pills and still end up having to have it removed. I would just look into the side effects and see if they are worth it. It's easier to remove the gall bladder than deal with liver problems.

:)