Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Out - Embarrasing???

Recently a woman told me that she "hoped I got better" because "You really need to put some weight on" ! That's when I realized it really, really was working!

Haha, priceless!:lol:

This thread is great!!! My husband and I went out to dinner last night and I could bearly touch my food. I had the experiences described here. The MANGER came over to see what I thougth about the meal!!!! I made a big deal about how great it was... (it was!)... and that the apetizer did me in... (lies!). It was such a nice place and such great service, I did not want them to think I was unhappy. He packed it himself for me to take home! I was going to post something here today wondering what others did/experienced and found this thread right upfront! LOL Still really happy with my sleeve!!!!!!!

LOL ! Too funny!!!!!

Haha, priceless!:lol:

Rootman, on September 16, 2011 - 10:46 AM, said:Recently a woman told me that she "hoped I got better" because "You really need to put some weight on" ! That's when I realized it really, really was working!<BR sab="1863"><BR sab="1864"><BR sab="1865"><BR sab="1866">

Both my husband and I have had surgery....we laugh at each other when we order as we call ourselves "cheap date". We usually order one meal and still take some home. We have had no problems at any major resturant -O'Charley's, Cracker Barrel to name a few. And even at some higher end places, they actually split the meal for us in the back and bring us our own plate. As for other patrons staring...obviously the company they were with must not have been enjoyable that they had to look at other things. We have gone out with friends and had a wonderful time.

I have never worried about what others think at a restaurant. I am 9 months post op and for the first time ever I pulled the " I had wls card" with the other night. We were at an all you could eat buffet of seafood and I could not see paying 39.99 when I would not go up more than once. I very quietly told the waitress I had wls and could not eat more that 3 to 4 ounces at a time and then asked for the children's price on the buffet and to my amazement she did not even blink or make a face, she said SURE you can!

I then went on to grab just a little bit of everything I liked and enjoyed my whole one trip to the buffet. Crab legs!

Well the whole point here is my husband is huge! and went up like 5 times for more. I am sure some folks wondered why I was sitting there not eating and getting more while he was gorging himself, but I did not even notice if anyone is looking,,, and why? BECAUSE I look GOOD now and I really don't care what others think about what I eat or don't eat or how I eat it,,, it all so worth it to be of "normal" weight today!

i went with my hubby to an all you can eat buffet and couldnt bare to pay the ful price for a buffet when i know darn well im not eating enough. so i went to the front and asked for the take out buffet. i filled my box with what i thought i could eat and took it to be weighed. they started to object to my staying there to eat it with my hubby. i then explained the small stomach and then they were okay with it. my lunch cost $2.15! lol and i still ended up taking some home and it was my dinner. people are definately right on here about saving money on the food bill. i had my surgery 6 weeks ago now and my food bills for a family of 5 were anywhere between 500-1000 a month. since the surgery i have been shopping only 2 times and have only spent 400 total. i didnt realize how much of the food i used to eat. i used to always blame my high food bill on my hubby and kids eating to much. i guess i was wrong and it was a whole lot more of me eating than anything else. :)

I have never worried about what others think at a restaurant. I am 9 months post op and for the first time ever I pulled the " I had wls card" with the other night. We were at an all you could eat buffet of seafood and I could not see paying 39.99 when I would not go up more than once. I very quietly told the waitress I had wls and could not eat more that 3 to 4 ounces at a time and then asked for the children's price on the buffet and to my amazement she did not even blink or make a face, she said SURE you can!

I then went on to grab just a little bit of everything I liked and enjoyed my whole one trip to the buffet. Crab legs!

Well the whole point here is my husband is huge! and went up like 5 times for more. I am sure some folks wondered why I was sitting there not eating and getting more while he was gorging himself, but I did not even notice if anyone is looking,,, and why? BECAUSE I look GOOD now and I really don't care what others think about what I eat or don't eat or how I eat it,,, it all so worth it to be of "normal" weight today!

I ate Breakfast the other day at Bob Evans with my hubby. I asked for the nutritional info. Apparently the restaurant only had a single copy because she wanted me to give it back almost immediately. I needed to get it typed into myfitnesspal with my Blackberry. I eat slow enough and being forced to type in the stuff while also trying to eat was a pain.

I tried to look it up on their web site. They have the menu but not nutritional info.

The waitress came back several times wanting to grab the nutritional info back. My husband was kind of upset about it. It wasn't laminated or anything. It was paper that could have easily been copied and distributed, but she was acting like it was gold.

Yesterday I ate out and the table across from us had 3 people just staring at me the whole time. I guess my small portion and tiny slow bites had them awe stricken! LOL! Wish they had just asked me why. I felt very uneasy. They stared until we left, even watching me box up my leftovers.

You know what embarrasses me now when i go out to eat? The fact that people eat so much. I look around and notice how gross people really look when they eat massive amounts of food. It really turns me off big time, so badly in fact that i just ask for a take out box and leave. And of course, after seeing the movie Contagion, I don't think i'll be eating out anymore either. . . hehehehe. . . stopped that huh??? hehe

Did you think they might be staring at your incredible beauty??? How great you look and not what you were eating or not eating?? Work that sleeve baby, wink or throw them a kiss next time. I am with the comment on "PORTION OVERLOAD" no wonder we are a nation of fatties. Society can be so cruel.

Around our Area we have Western Sizziin Steak and buffet resturants. The will weigh your plate for you and let you eat from the Buffet. @ 3.99 a Lb. last time I ate it cast me $1.19 + $.99 for mt meal and iced tea to go for later after my 30-1 hour wait... I love my sleeve and i have no problem telling any body about it. If they ask i tell them i have been set free by my WLS surgery....

The only really weird situation I was in was the day after I got out of the hospital. We went to restaurant and I had to order beef broth. The waiter was so nice about it. I shared with him I just had stomach surgery and that's all I could have for the next week. He was very pleasant and he even brought me some fresh broth once the one I had got cold.

Maybe its not the other person and really its us? I know I'm used to being judged all the time, but I'm trying to let that persona go. I can't always go around thinking anyone means any harm, rather than just geniune concern. The servers are used to the same routine day in and day out. Of course they are going to notice a subtle difference in someone's eating pattern. It just makes sense.

I have never noticed other people watching or staring at what I eat at a restaurant. But maybe it's because I am not self-conscious at all. I don't even really look around much, except at the people I am there with, because we're talking. I am there to enjoy a meal with family or friends. I order something that has a lot of Protein and sounds yummy to me, knowing full well I will be asking for a go box. I actually enjoy getting to take some home and making numerous meals out of it. And I LOVE the sense of control I have now over food. I don't really like Water, but it's free, so to not bring up any questions or looks over why I am not ordering something to drink, I go ahead and order a glass of water. It's there if i NEED a tiny sip to get something down, but generally it sits there, untouched. No one asks me why I didn't drink any of it. When I finish the portion I am going to eat, I go ahead and ask for a box and if they mention it or ask if I'd like dessert, I simply say the same thing normal people say when asked this question: No thanks....or no, I am so full....or no, I couldn't eat another bite. All of which are true. I have stopped worrying about what others think of what or how much I eat, it is no ones business and I don't owe anyone an explanation. This is coming from someone who used to care way too much about what others thought too.

:)

I use to love I mean really love going out to eat before my surgery. I was a waitress for over 10 years so to be waited on is awesome to me. Since my surgery I have been out to eat only once. I went with my father to a place called "Pollys Pies". We shared a Polly hambuger. I ate half and he ate the other half and the coleslaw. It was perfect. We also had coconut pie. I ate 2 bites he ate the rest. I do drive thru somewhere and get a chicken wing or kids hamburger every now and then. I can eat anything at this stage and do eat whatever I want. I just eat a little of it. Its very freeing to be able to only eat a little bit and be ok with that.

I am very lucky that my neighbor happens to work at the Outback that we like to go to. She knows about my surgery so if we go I always request her. My mom is doing a low-carb diet as well, so our neighbor never brings us the bread, but she always brings a small plate of fruit over for my 5 year old sister. Then when it comes to the meal (I normally get the french onion Soup, can't wait until I can start on the heartier meats again) she is so great about bringing me whatever I need.

I have noticed that people stare. The first time we went I could only do the broth, and people definitely stared. But I just shrugged it off.

I've been out to eat several times since surgery and have never had anyone sit and stare at me. I've had a few waitresses ask if the food was okay, and one manager, but we mostly go places that we have gone to before. Red Lobs*ter charged me SIX dollars for a serving of mashed taters right after surgery, so I won't be taking my business there again. Sonn*y's BBQ, otoh, lets me order from the kids menu, which is great. I can't even eat a whole kids meal of ribs, which is three ribs, one side and a bread. I eat my ribs, order a veggie and eat a few bites and leave the bread on the plate.

I'm lucky (I think) because I have a 21 year old son who eats most of my leftovers. These days, I often ask him what he feels like eating later when I order a restaurant meal since I know I'll only eat a few bites. Last night, I ordered salmon with mashed potatoes (the best choice on this restaurant's menu, since they do tons of deep fried veggies), and I had a salad bar. I made a salad of edamame, sunflowers seeds, cheese, chopped eggs and a tiny bit of lettuce with dressing on the side. After I ate my salad, I ate a few pieces of raw broccoli and about an ounce of my salmon. So, someone here will have a lovely lunch today of salmon and mashed taters. If that someone is me, the taters will stay in the box and I'll eat the salmon with another veg.