Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Failing pre-op diet

I need help, my surgery is the 21, I'm afraid that if I don't lose some wieght that my doctor will not do the surgey!!!!!! I'm 238 if this helps. Need advice!

When you say pre-diet, do you mean the actual pre-surgery fast that a lot of us have to do? Or do you just mean that you are being told to diet?

If you are just being told to diet, have you gained any? Lost any? In this case I'd give them a call and ask what their expectations are. For instance, at your weight my progam would have asked for a loss but it could have been as little as 3 pounds. So instead of stressing, just call them and find out where you stand. It would also give you a chance to let them know how important it is to you. Assuming you haven't gained, that could sway them your way.

My advise: STICK YOUR PRE-OP DIET!

Gain any weight during the pre-op stage and it's almost a signal to your doctor to put the stop on your surgery.

And this is from someone that had difficulty with her own pre-op diet. I lost 12 lbs during the month. But, I was never able to sting more than 6 days, before wanting cheesy bread from Lil Ceasars.

I did realized after my surgery on 6/13; that the pre-op diet did one thing. It got my mind prepared for the work that is needed while living with a sleeve. You will be glad post-surgery to be able to drink a shake and have a small meal!

Get back to your pre-op diet and stick it!

Yes, I want to add that if you are talking about the actual pre-diet fast, get onto it. I followed mine to the letter and it wasn't easy. But it also wasn't that bad. And I was ready for surgery the day it happened.

You'll feel better about the whole thing if you turn it around. It will help your confidence.

When you say pre-diet, do you mean the actual pre-surgery fast that a lot of us have to do? Or do you just mean that you are being told to diet?

If you are just being told to diet, have you gained any? Lost any? In this case I'd give them a call and ask what their expectations are. For instance, at your weight my progam would have asked for a loss but it could have been as little as 3 pounds. So instead of stressing, just call them and find out where you stand. It would also give you a chance to let them know how important it is to you. Assuming you haven't gained, that could sway them your way.

[/

No I haven't gained , lost 2 pounds. I'm on liquids slimfast,Water, broths, and yes I am so stressed out. But I will call, thank you!! I don't feel so alone anymore.

My advise: STICK YOUR PRE-OP DIET!

Gain any weight during the pre-op stage and it's almost a signal to your doctor to put the stop on your surgery.

And this is from someone that had difficulty with her own pre-op diet. I lost 12 lbs during the month. But, I was never able to sting more than 6 days, before wanting cheesy bread from Lil Ceasars.

I did realized after my surgery on 6/13; that the pre-op diet did one thing. It got my mind prepared for the work that is needed while living with a sleeve. You will be glad post-surgery to be able to drink a shake and have a small meal!

Get back to your pre-op diet and stick it!

Thank you all so much !!!!!

My pre-op diet was 2 Protein shakes and a small high Protein dinner at nights. I actually moved the small meal to lunch time and did a shake at dinner. Oh and don't forget to do the 64 ounces of sugar free drink(s). I recommend Water. The more Water you drink, the more you loose. Don't forget your multi-Vitamin. My diet was 30 days of hell, but hindsight being 20/20, the pre-op liquid diet was a cakewalk. A cakewalk compared to the post op clear liquid diet. Then the liquid diet, going to mushies (that was a right pain in the arse and I was sick all the time) So, what do you do if you're sick? You go right back to the clear liquid diet/liquid protein diet.

I'm three months now and 54lbs down. Pleased you betcha, but it's so much easier now, I know my limits how much I can eat and I endeavour to drink my 64oz of liquid. And guess what, I'm still doing my Protein drinks (Yumm yumm!)

Nysha-

My pre-op diet consisted of SF Jello, SF Popsicles, Carbmaster Yogurt from Kroger not to exceed 2 per day and avoiding bits and pieces of fruit within the yogurt, Lowfat, Low sodium broth, Water, SF pudding-

and Protein Shakes not to exceed 20 grams of Protein on the pre-op. With 64 or more fluids total per day.

Each Doctor seems to have their own Pre-op requirements so you must follow what your surgeons are.

At my pre-op class we were told that if anyone gained weight from their first visit to the group- that their surgery would be cancelled because it showed lack of dedication needed to proceed with surgery.

I'm not sure what your groups guidelines are but you might want to check it out.

You guys are the best. The more I think about ... I was just told to start this 2 week diet last wensday and surgery will be on the 21, now I'm running around in the " what to do state". Having really bad headaches ,along with high blood sugars. when I call my doctor, there's more referrals, I work fulltime and attend school. I can't take anymore time off. But I thank the founder for a place like this, again you guys are the best. Thank you for, being open and telling it to me straight, I really needed it.

Quick thing. I did a strick 15 day liquid diet. Same as what the others said. 3 Protein shakes a day, sugar free apple juice and sugar free popsicles, fat free yogurt, and chicken broth and of course Water. I must say, I was constantly drinking something. Especially Water. I'm a big water drinker anyway but this kept me somewhat full all day long.

Heres the thing, I lost 21 lbs on that diet. But the major benefit was that I didn't get sick after surgery nor did I have any gas pains. I attribute this to the pre-op diet I did. All the other girls that were in my group were terribly sick and in pain from the gas. Throwing up all night long and just miserable. My friend came with me and since I just slept mostly, she ended up helping the others. (don't flip about them being sick cause they were fine the next day)

So if nothing else tell yourself that you dont' want to be in all that pain and you definately don't want be throwing up right after surgery. That kept me on on it and I didn't cheat one time.

Good luck dear.

You are so making me cry, I love this family!

Nysha, Like Annie G said: "YOU CAN DO IT!"

I'm so greatful to this community of men and women who "Keep it real"

You put it out there - and that takes courage! But, I'm going to quote from the Wizzard of Oz! "You always had it in you"

You knew the answer to your question before you posed it. You knew, but like everyone - you were looking for the wiggle-room.

Ain't no wiggle-room when it comes to this surgical (sp?) journey.

Do the work - and you will lose the weight! Now, I can't guarantee how quickly the weight will come off. Some of us are quick losers, others and slow and then there is the vast majority that is right there in the middle, just cranking out the numbers consistenlty - week after week"

Follow your program and you will lose your weight. AND DON'T DO THE MISTAKE OF COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHERS HERE. I KNOW IT'S HARD, BUT ALL IT DOES IS DO YOUR HEAD IN AND MAKES YOU SECOND GUESS YOURSELF.

DO YOUR PROGRAM - PERIOD. EXAMINE YOU ON YOUR PROGRAM. TWEEK YOUR DIET AND YOU WILL LOSE YOUR WEIGHT. IT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF HEARTACHE AND SELF DOUBT!

HUGS,

Diane NY

You guys are the best. The more I think about ... I was just told to start this 2 week diet last wensday and surgery will be on the 21, now I'm running around in the " what to do state". Having really bad headaches ,along with high blood sugars. when I call my doctor, there's more referrals, I work fulltime and attend school. I can't take anymore time off. But I thank the founder for a place like this, again you guys are the best. Thank you for, being open and telling it to me straight, I really needed it.

Nysha, I am having surgery on the 21st as well. I really had a hard time with the pre-op diet too but I am making my self do it. I started and gave up and started again and I am going to get through this. It does seem to be getting better. I am a big fan of sugar free popsciles now. :D Hang in there.....