Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell Us your Story!

First of all, I am stoked at the number of members in this group that I created because I was disappointed in the lack of connections with patients of WLS. My surgeon left the Valley this month so now I have to take a proactive stance in follow up care. Please tell us your story. I want to use this forum to help us endure our weight loss journeys--If we get 100 members, I will arrange periodic Live meetings so that we can engage in discussions about our progress and support the frustrations that may be plaguing our successes., Once again, I invite any and all who are in AZ to join our group. Healthcare Providers, you are most welcome to be part of our group, too. Remember, we are here to support each other preop, during, and postoperatively.

Now, I would like each member to introduce themselves to our group, telling us about their journey through weight loss--surgery dates, progress, hopes, aspirations, recovery, and anything you want to share about your experiences with obesity and bariatric surgery. I will post mine under this thread. Please join me! Ronda

I am Ronda. 10 years ago I had RNY. I lost 85 pounds then, and kept the weight off for 3 years. In 2007, I had regained 60% of this loss, and my hypertension resurfaced along with the frustration and anguish that goes with obesity. I went to Dr. Simon who advised revision surgery, but it took 4 years of cutting red tape with insurance and provider care (Not Dr.Simon) before my surgery happened on May 31 at PV Hosp with Dr. Simon 13 weeks ago. To date, I am doing great--39.5 pounds gone, and still working to lose the remaining 45 pounds before maintaining goal weight. I currently study to become a bariatric counselor and hope to provide support to those embarking on WLS and others who have had it but need support--I want to give back by helping others like me!!

I am Monica. I have been struggling with my weight since 1997 when I had my 3rd child. I had been under the notion that you needed to be at least 100 lbs overweight to consider surgery but last year I had heard the requirements had changed. That is when I started to reconsider it again. January I started my requirements for the 3 months or medically supervised weight loss the insurance required. As I entered my 3rd month, the policy had changed to 6 months which kinda sucked because I was ready. After the additional 3 months, my life was in the hands of the insurance company. There was an initial denial due to additional documentation needed (that was actually in the file), the approval came a week later. My surgery date is September 28 and I start my 2 week pre-op diet tomorrow and am looking forward to getting healthy. I should be curing my obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, and joint issues with my knees!

Hi! My name is Rebecca. I live in Gilbert, AZ and am a full Arizona Native. I've struggled with my weight most of my life, definitely since high school. I'm married to an awesome, supportive husband and have 4 beautiful kids. I've been through the process for preapproval for wls twice before, but this time is it! I'm actually grateful the other times didn't work out, because I now know about the sleeve..and I'm super excited! I'd love to join the AZ Sleevers group.

Rebecca

Welcome, Rebecca! Glad to have you with us! Good luck with your surgery--the sleeve is WONDERFUL!!!:D RONDA

Hi! My name is Rebecca. I live in Gilbert, AZ and am a full Arizona Native. I've struggled with my weight most of my life, definitely since high school. I'm married to an awesome, supportive husband and have 4 beautiful kids. I've been through the process for preapproval for wls twice before, but this time is it! I'm actually grateful the other times didn't work out, because I now know about the sleeve..and I'm super excited! I'd love to join the AZ Sleevers group.

Rebecca

Good luck with surgery, Monica! You will love your sleeve!! Glad to have you in our group!:D Ronda

I am Monica. I have been struggling with my weight since 1997 when I had my 3rd child. I had been under the notion that you needed to be at least 100 lbs overweight to consider surgery but last year I had heard the requirements had changed. That is when I started to reconsider it again. January I started my requirements for the 3 months or medically supervised weight loss the insurance required. As I entered my 3rd month, the policy had changed to 6 months which kinda sucked because I was ready. After the additional 3 months, my life was in the hands of the insurance company. There was an initial denial due to additional documentation needed (that was actually in the file), the approval came a week later. My surgery date is September 28 and I start my 2 week pre-op diet tomorrow and am looking forward to getting healthy. I should be curing my obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, and joint issues with my knees!

I've only recently started researching the sleeve, it was not previously covered by my Aetna PPO, so now I'm trying to find a good surgeon in Phoenix. Hopefully as my journey progresses I'll have happy results to share.

I've only recently started researching the sleeve, it was not previously covered by my Aetna PPO, so now I'm trying to find a good surgeon in Phoenix. Hopefully as my journey progresses I'll have happy results to share.

Research Dr. Rob Schuster. He is at the Banner Gateway Bariatric Clinic in Gilbert and has the highest ratings in the state. There are others that would be closer in the Phoenix area but his information I am familiar with since he is my surgeon and I have done my homework.

Mercy Care said I could go to Dr. Shuster for my followup appts since Dr. Simon left the valley. My sister had her lapband done at Scottsdale/Shea campus with Dr. Robin Blackstone. You might try there if you need a place closer to Phoenix than Gilbert.

Good luck with everything! Keep us posted! Ronda :rolleyes:

Good luck with surgery Wednesday, Monica! Ronda :rolleyes:

I've been researching a bit and think I'm going to go with Dr. Fang at Bridges. While I liked the program at Banner Gateway its too far from my home and office for regular office visits and support meetings. Dr. Fang hasn't performed a lot of this type of surgery though, but his outcomes for all the surgeries (lb/rny/vsg) he has performed are good.

The Bridges Program in Phoenix is very good--Dr. Fang gives great seminars and seems very attentive when I went to a seminar at St. Luke's Phoenix. I could not use him because he was not a provider under my Mercy Care plan with AHCCCS. Best of luck to you--I am staying around 40 pounds lost, but trying to settle into an exercise plan and hoping to get a job fairly soon. The nerves sort of play a game with me. Plus, the holidays are coming up, and I really like to bake--have converted some of our nutbread recipes to low carb and low sugar content. They taste good! :) Life is good, and so happy you are progressing with Dr. Fang and impending surgery. Take care! Ronda

Hello AZ members,

My name is Nicole and I am very new at this website. So my surgery is set for Feb 2 and I am 5 days in to the 14 day preop diet. My surgeon is Dr Schuster at Banner Gateway. For those who have had him how did it go? I have heard great reviews. I am looking for a support group closer to home and people who have gone through the procedure or is about to. Please send me a message if you would like to chat. I live in the Phoenix/Laveen area.

Thanks Nicole

Hi Nicole!

My name is Nicole O. and I live in the Laveen area as well. I'm still doing my 90 pre-qualification diet and I hope to submit my request for approval the week of February 6th. I plan to attend some support meetings at Bridges (the distance from support is actually why I didn't go with Dr. Schuster), but perhaps we can support one another locally. We can meet at Chavez park and walk around the lake or (if you have a membership) we could meet at LA Fitness for a workout.