Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Aceves or Dr. Alvarez....advise?

I've been doing a lot of research and think Dr. Aceves or Dr. Alvarez is the best choice for me, but can't seem to decide. There are lot's of Dr. Aceves patients on here and I've notice many are actually weighing below their goal, which is Amazing! :D If you had either Dr. do mind sharing what was the Very Best thing you experienced going to them that you don't think you would have gotten from another Dr.

Thanks for your help. I'm a newbie and still on the fence.<_<

Thanks for asking the question Ellie I'm wondering the same myself...my insurance company just issued their first denial even though I qualify in BMI (45), co-morbidities, etc. they claim they don't have enough documentation from the 6 mo PSWL, one way or another I WILL HAVE THE SLEEVE! cool.gif

Would love to know how all made the decision of Mexico & which physician.

Gosh, I totally understand. I thought both of these doctors seemed to be the best in Mexico and I spoke with the reps from both for a month before making my decision. I still don't know how it would've been had I gone to Dr. Alvarez, but I am happy with my decision to go to Dr. Aceves. The one and only reason I chose Dr. Aceves over Dr. Alvarez was the hospital. Although Dr. Alvarez claims he works out of a full fledged hospital, I couldn't find any information about it on the internet. With Almater hospital (where Dr. Aceves does the surgery) I found a website and could verify that it was a true hospital. That was the only reason I chose Dr Aceves. In fact, with all of the videos on you tube, Dr. Alvarez seems to have such a good personality and also so good with teaching, that I really worried about my decision... until the surgery was over. I had my surgery at the end of July and have lost 28 lbs, haven't had any problems, no infection, no trouble with leaks, etc. I am completely satisfied with my surgery and my choice of doctor.

Good luck deciding between the two. I feel that either way, you are probably in good hands:)

I also chose Dr. Aceves because I would be in a hospital for three nights. Since I would be leaving my surgeon 1200 miles away when I came home, I wanted to know that I was stable post-op and in good enough shape to travel alone. I have heard great things about Dr. Alvarez but I chose Dr. Aceves for the hospital. In hindsight, I don't think I could have had a better experience anywhere else. No nausea or vomiting and very little pain.

Foxbin- that's amazing how much you have lots and so fast and even better without any trouble. I'm so nervous, I wish I were you and already done & eight months out and doing great. Did you ever have "buyers remorse", since you were self-pay? Seems like that happens a lot in the beginning. I think for those of us who have self-pay there is the additional worry of the financial risk along with the health risk. Dr. Aceves seems to have a huge following here. thanks for sharing.

Foxbin- that's amazing how much you have lots and so fast and even better without any trouble. I'm so nervous, I wish I were you and already done & eight months out and doing great. Did you ever have "buyers remorse", since you were self-pay? Seems like that happens a lot in the beginning. I think for those of us who have self-pay there is the additional worry of the financial risk along with the health risk. Dr. Aceves seems to have a huge following here. thanks for sharing.

I never had one instant of buyer's remorse and quite honestly, don't really understand how it occurs if you have researched and prepared yourself beforehand. I researched the surgery thoroughly and I was prepared to have quite a lot of pain, since it's a major organ that's 85-90% removed. I was prepared to have complications. "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst," you know. When I didn't have either, I was pleasantly surprised. I was prepared for the food limitations and followed my surgeon's plan. I was prepared for the Vitamins and supplements required. I joined a gym to keep muscle mass and burn calories. I changed how I looked at food and how I used food so that it became fuel and I eat for nutrients and not for mouth pleasure or emotional reasons. Mostly, I trusted that by following plan, persisting, and not stopping until I reached goal I could succeed. I do think that since I was self-pay I did not want to waste the money and stop losing before I reached my goal--for 9K I could have a really, really good vacation, or half a little car, or a gorgeous wardrobe. I chose surgery and don't regret the changes I made.

I chose Dr Aceves because of all the positive postings I read about him and after doing research on his medical experience and the hospital he operates at. I had an extremely smooth recovery, very little pain, no nausea, no loss of energy - this has been an amazing experience for me and I've never had a moment's regret.

I had originally scheduled my surgery with a doctor in the USA, but after doing a lot of reading on these forums I switched to Dr Aceves. I felt when I made that decision that it was the right one and went into the surgery with confidence and high expectations. Up until now I have not been disappointed.

After I read all of Dr. Aceves' qqualifications and talked to some people who had their surgery there, my mind was made up that he is the best possible surgeon for anyone who is a self pay and has to leave the country.

The hospital is a trauma center and you are there for 3 days. If there are going to be complications, I would not have wanted to be anywhere else, or under anyone else's care other than Dr. Aceves. I was pretty certain that there would be no complications though, because his complication rate is extremely low.

Dr. Aceves hands down. If my kids, hubby, or any friends wanted to have this surgery in the future, regardless of insurance, we would pay out of pocket to have Aceves do it. You just can't beat his complication record, the cleanliness of the hospital, and the success of his patients.

Hi, I will also add that Dr. Aceves is by far the best doctor you can ever find to do your WLS. He cares far beyond any other doctor I have ever been to how you are doing, spends all the time you need answering your questions--this is rare anymore.. He and his staff are the VERY BEST group of professionals that you could ever have do your WLS. You will be given the best possible care you could have.

I want you to know that I had this WLS almost 3 years ago and I have maintained my 105 pound weight loss. It does require work and effort on your part. The 1st month after surgery will be the hardest that you will ever have to do. We are always here to help and support you in your questions and help that you might need.

Please listen to all these people, I think you will see that most of us know for a fact that Dr. Aceves is the BEST choice. You will be in a very clean and wonderful hospital. You will receive the best care you could ever ask for.

Hugs,

Suzanne

I just got home last night and today I posted several pictures of the hospital. The place is immaculate! Try to find a speck of dirt! House keeping cleaned my room multiple times per day.

I was so impressed with the docs. They truly care about you and your needs. I was amazed how quickly my needs were met. And the fact that they gave us a spinal before the general anesthesia, so we would wake up pain free is amazing! I am recovering nicely and couldn't be more thankful to all the people involved in making me a loser!

Lisa

I just got home last night and today I posted several pictures of the hospital. The place is immaculate! Try to find a speck of dirt! House keeping cleaned my room multiple times per day.

I was so impressed with the docs. They truly care about you and your needs. I was amazed how quickly my needs were met. And the fact that they gave us a spinal before the general anesthesia, so we would wake up pain free is amazing! I am recovering nicely and couldn't be more thankful to all the people involved in making me a loser!

Lisa

Lisa,

How are you doing so far? Was the 1st week brutal? I didn't realize that he did a spinal until I read your post, thank you.

Hope your recovery is going well. Have you returned to work?

Ellie

Lisa,

How are you doing so far? Was the 1st week brutal? I didn't realize that he did a spinal until I read your post, thank you.

Hope your recovery is going well. Have you returned to work?

Ellie

Hi Ellie,

I'm doing very well actually. Only problem I have had is I have felt too good and I have done way too much. I was sore the next day. I forget to be kind to my body sometimes. I want to eat and I am very bored with Clear liquids. I'm really looking forward to Sunday and bumping up to full liquids!

When is your surgery? Will you be going to Dr Aceves?

Lisa

Hi Ellie,

I'm doing very well actually. Only problem I have had is I have felt too good and I have done way too much. I was sore the next day. I forget to be kind to my body sometimes. I want to eat and I am very bored with Clear Liquids. I'm really looking forward to Sunday and bumping up to full liquids!

When is your surgery? Will you be going to Dr Aceves?

Lisa

Lisa,

You sound like things are going great. I looked at all your pictures of hospital, they were great. Yes, I'm "planning" on going to Dr. Aceves. I haven't made the final decision to do it. I have everything lined up but still very nervous. It was between Dr. Aceves and Dr. Alvarez. There are lots of patients of Dr. Aceves here that recommend him.

Did you have to travel far to get back home? I'm on the East Coast, so I have will have a long flight home which I'm nervous about also. I don't like to walk on planes, I know it sounds silly but I'd rather stay in my seat. I'm nervous it's not good to sit for so long after a surgery. I even worried about the cabin pressure being bad after surgery. I'm just nervous about everything.

Glad to hear you have felt so good. Did you go back to work right away after you got back? What's been the hardest part? sorry I have tons of questions :D

Ellie

Lisa,

You sound like things are going great. I looked at all your pictures of hospital, they were great. Yes, I'm "planning" on going to Dr. Aceves. I haven't made the final decision to do it. I have everything lined up but still very nervous. It was between Dr. Aceves and Dr. Alvarez. There are lots of patients of Dr. Aceves here that recommend him.

Did you have to travel far to get back home? I'm on the East Coast, so I have will have a long flight home which I'm nervous about also. I don't like to walk on planes, I know it sounds silly but I'd rather stay in my seat. I'm nervous it's not good to sit for so long after a surgery. I even worried about the cabin pressure being bad after surgery. I'm just nervous about everything.

Glad to hear you have felt so good. Did you go back to work right away after you got back? What's been the hardest part? sorry I have tons of questions :D

Ellie

Hi Ellie,

I am in NC, so yeah, it was a long ride. I didn't get up and walk around. They give you a blood thinner called Lovonox before surgery, so I figured chances of developing a blood clot was pretty low. The worst part of the ride home was running through the airport in Cinncinatti to make my connecting flight. The first plane was late and I only had a 45 min layover. Of course the gate was on the other side of the airport. I wish I had connected in Atlanta instead. Ah well. Oh, and take a pillow to splint your abdomen with.

I go back to work next week. They would have written me out for 3 weeks if I had wanted, but I don't have enough PTO time.

I understand your nerves. I was a basket case! But now that it's over, I look back and wonder what I was so afraid of. Honestly, the worst past is this clear liquid diet. I'm hating it. I'm hungry and while I think part of it is in my head, I'm still battling it. I think once I hit cream Soups, it will be a little more satisfing. And the nutritionist says I'm not getting enough Protein, which is why I'm hungry. I'm losing at a good pace so I'm happy. I've lost 9 pounds since surgery, 13 pounds total counting the adkins preop diet.

Feel free to ask me anything. I'm happy to share :)

Lisa