Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does it take 2 or 3 weeks to recover?

Hello,

I know many people have diffrent recovery times and no one can predict what will work for them. I was orginally thinking two weeks, but now I'm thinking about asking for three weeks because I know I have a low metabolism and stay tired a lot. I've heard many people are wiped out after surgery more than what they thought they would be and because I stay tired before surgery I figured it would be ten times worse after surgery. But I was thinking well I'm 30, so I may be able to bounce back in two weeks if I just get to moving as soon as possible. I'm not sure which would be safer. I would hate to go back to work and not make it through the day. I do have a sit down job so it doesnt require a lot of movement, but sometimes I run up and down stairs to get co-pays from patients but each day is different depending on how many patients we have that day. Any advice?

Hi Shea,

Well I can tell you my experience and maybe that will help you make a decision for yourself. I am a very active person, and I was pre-sleeve as well. I could workout for hours and never really felt any kind of "tiredness" pre surgery.

That said, I'm absolutely GLAD I took 3 full weeks off from work. This surgery was pretty tough for me. I did feel a lot of fatigue, and trying to figure out how to eat and drink with the sleeve was a chore in itself. I also have a sit down job, but much like you its a more active role. I have to get up from my desk a lot to run papers, forms or files around here and there.

I would feel so run down and beat up after work for the first few weeks back too. I would sneak little cat naps in the quiet room daily until I finally started to get all my energy back.

Whatever you decide, just do what's best for you.

Good luck!

I had the luxury of taking 6 weeks off of work - actuall 3 weeks off and then worked from home for 3 weeks. There is no way I could have gone back to an active job before 3 weeks. For me, the 6 week time frame was about right. But I had a really tough recovery and couldn't hardly get out of bed for the first 2 weeks. Everyone is different. I would suggest that you take as much time as possible off before going back.

I have a desk job and was back on day 9. It took me until week 3 to get back into the gym, but I was walking some everyday. Compression garment on my stomach helped a lot.

As for being tired i was always tired before surgery, but unlike before exercise in the morning gives me energy. Get your Water in. Good luck with your decision!

Thank you guys so much. I know it's hard to predict ahead of time but I guess it's probably better to take too much time than not enough. I'm looking at taking 3 weeks.... When taking off for three weeks was it hard to find people to cover you if you have a job that people would have to pitch in, where your co-workers okay with you taking that much time off, where you completely back-up when you went back to work?

I was back to work after 4 days and thought I'd die. I had no more vacation and could not take leave for it. More time off IS better. If you CAN take it DO IT.

I felt truly crappy for MONTHS afterward and wish I could of had 4 weeks off.

Thank you guys so much. I know it's hard to predict ahead of time but I guess it's probably better to take too much time than not enough. I'm looking at taking 3 weeks.... When taking off for three weeks was it hard to find people to cover you if you have a job that people would have to pitch in, where your co-workers okay with you taking that much time off, where you completely back-up when you went back to work?

Actually, and surprisingly with my busy desk I really didn't come back to too many problems. Of course this doesn't mean you won't! :) Yes, my co-workers had to pitch in while I was away a little bit but it didn't seem to bother them too much.

I did though choose a time where I knew my work ebbed rather than flowed. That might be an option too. And you are right, it's better to take too much time off rather than not enough.

I exercised a lot prior to surgery because I was told it would help me recover faster. I believe it did.

I was sleeved on Monday and went back to work the following Monday. I was tired, as I became severly anemic after surgery, but I was fine! I have a desk job, so nothing too strenuous. I was a little sore like I did a lot of crunches, but that was all. I didn't have pain or wasn't sick.

Hope this helps! B)

Kelly

For me I was up and able to go to work after one week, but Im a nanny, and my boss is a nurse and her husband a doctor so they wouldnt let me return to work until after 12 days. I am also 53 yrs old. 3 weeks seems like a long time. I was going crazy by the time I went back to work. Everyone is different.

I was sleeved on August 31st. I took 2 1/2 weeks off. I think Im going to push it to 3 & 1/2 weeks. I need more time. But everyone's different. It's up to you and your body.

I took 4 weeks and this was my first week back. No matter how well I felt, working an 8 hour day zapped me. Remember you are relearning how to eat and drink and your calorie intake is very low. I spent this 4 day week napping on my lunch and after work. 2nd day I clocked out after 2 hours and slept for 2 hours - I work from home in a desk job. I didn't shower or dress until the evenings, trying to conserve the little energy I had for work. Whatever the max is your Dr recommends you take, do it. Use vacation/sick time, FMLA, Short Term Disability - whatever you have to do but do it!!

My procedure is the 15th, and my doctor has told me that 10 days should be enough recovery before I head back to work. I have a compete sit down job, so I'm sure that makes a difference. I'm glad to hear about the exercise pre-surgery helps recovery. I've been working myself as hard as I can knowing that after surgery, I'm going to need to keep it up.

I took off 2 weeks and it was adequate. Energy is the only thing that I believe impacts us all past 2 weeks (i would even venture to say past 1 week there's no pain but low energy) so it depends on the pace of your work. But, we work so much, so hard, take a much time as you can to relax, heal, and get your mind around the new sleeve, before having to go back to work. Good luck!

My surgery is in two days. I have off from tuesday 9/13 until Monday. My surgeon said I would only need 3-4 days to recover. I'm freaking out now.

I was back to work after 4 days and thought I'd die. I had no more vacation and could not take leave for it. More time off IS better. If you CAN take it DO IT.

I felt truly crappy for MONTHS afterward and wish I could of had 4 weeks off.