Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved 3 weeks ago and now stalled

I was sleeved on August 17, 2011 (at New York Presbyterian by Dr. Gregory Dakin). In the first 2-1/2 weeks I lost 34 pounds. I started at 407 and lost 20 before surgery, so 54 lbs down from my max. The surgery went well and there were no complications (so far and I hope it stays that way). A few days ago the weight loss stalled and I have lost nothing. I read that this is normal, so I find that encouraging. I started back to work a couple of days ago and I am finding it hard to drink enough Water since I get distracted by work. I know that it is unlikely I will lose at the rate I did right after the surgery, but I am impatient for the pounds to start dropping again.

How often do you weigh? I'm sure weighing every day adds to my discouragement.

I had my gastric sleeve on 7-25-11 I had lost 25 pounds before surgery. I have lost 55 as of now six weeks later. I too feel as though I have stalled in loosing weight. I have been a bit disappointed thinking I would loose it more quickly. I weighed in at 343 when I started my liquid diet before surgery. I now weigh 290. I am happy I am under the 300 mark but still disappointed at the same time. I went back to work the week after my surgery. I didn't have much time off for vacation but am doing okay. I do have issues with getting the hiccups. Do you have that problem? I keep them alot lately. Let me know what your doing now to try and start the loosing back up. I'm guessing on my part it is just impatience. lol..go figure..

Thanks and Good luck!!

I was sleeved on August 17, 2011 (at New York Presbyterian by Dr. Gregory Dakin). In the first 2-1/2 weeks I lost 34 pounds. I started at 407 and lost 20 before surgery, so 54 lbs down from my max. The surgery went well and there were no complications (so far and I hope it stays that way). A few days ago the weight loss stalled and I have lost nothing. I read that this is normal, so I find that encouraging. I started back to work a couple of days ago and I am finding it hard to drink enough Water since I get distracted by work. I know that it is unlikely I will lose at the rate I did right after the surgery, but I am impatient for the pounds to start dropping again.

I haven't had hiccups more than usual (I have always had a little hiccup problem). Everything I read and everyone I talk to says the stall is normal, just be patient. Easier said than done. I guess when I get past the first stall I will feel better about any future ones. For now I think the only thing I can do is drink lots of Water and get enough exercise. You sound like you're doing great.

I had my gastric sleeve on 8-25-11 I had lost 25 pounds before surgery. I have lost 55 as of now six weeks later. I too feel as though I have stalled in loosing weight. I have been a bit disappointed thinking I would loose it more quickly. I weighed in at 343 when I started my liquid diet before surgery. I now weigh 290. I am happy I am under the 300 mark but still disappointed at the same time. I went back to work the week after my surgery. I didn't have much time off for vacation but am doing okay. I do have issues with getting the hiccups. Do you have that problem? I keep them alot lately. Let me know what your doing now to try and start the loosing back up. I'm guessing on my part it is just impatience. lol..go figure..

Thanks and Good luck!!

I had my sleeve two weeks ago. I went for my two week check up today and actually GAINED four pounds from what I weighed a few days after surgery. Huge bummer. I am just praying to God that things pick up. Be greatful for your loss, I am only down 16 now, 15 of those lost on the preop diet. It will continue to come off.

i just posted almost the same thing! i was sleeved on the 16th and i was losing about a pound a day and then for the past 3 days nothing. i guess i need to just relax and learn to work my sleeve. they will come off. we will get there!

might sound funny, but I listen to my stomach to see if it makes any noises when I eat food. I find that top ramen broths make it feel a lot better after real food. Especially if it starts to gruggle, than I stop eatting it all together. But since yesterday I haven't lost any weight and neither did I today. Not sure what is going on either.

You will lose.. I am 3 weeks out and have had 2 stalls already one was 3 days and this one is 7 so far. But I've averaged a 5 pound a week loss. I can't complain about that... and though I haven't seen the scale move I do measure once a week and have lost inches.

Have someone hide your scale. That is my best advice. Once a week let them take it out. Did you also measure yourself with a tape measure? Even though you may not be losing weight, you may be losing inches. Hang in there, you are doing great! B)

It sounds as though you are doing really well, congrats on that. I guess I am just impatient. I know it wasn't put on over night and it won't come off over night. Just seems like since I am eating so little I should be loosing a lot more than I am. Sometimes, I wonder, did I really eat that much before surgery.. but Yeah I did. I watch the way my family and friends eat and remember how I use to go back for the seconds and thirds..now, I can't even eat the one! It is truly amazing. Thank God, for letting me find a way to have this surgery. I just keep praying he will also help me to loose the weight and make my health issues better!

Thanks for advice..

You will lose.. I am 3 weeks out and have had 2 stalls already one was 3 days and this one is 7 so far. But I've averaged a 5 pound a week loss. I can't complain about that... and though I haven't seen the scale move I do measure once a week and have lost inches.

Simple fact: STALLS SUCK!!!

Ok, I feel better now LOL. I am 4 1/2 months out and my first stall was from 2weeks to 6weeks. I was very upset about that. I tried to quit smoking after that time too and actually gained a total of 8lbs. Gave up that battle for another day. The lbs are moving now and slow, but I am at the last 20 to goal, so I don't expect 5-10 lbs to come off like magic anymore :).

But a true stall is when you are not losing pounds and not losing inches. Throughout I was losing inches. Stalls suck and then you stop stalling and everything is beautiful again. Then you will stall again and it will suck. Try to ride it through and keep working your sleeves, you will get through it!

I had my surgery on august 26th. Pre op I was 386 and down to 354 day of surgery and then down to 329 last week. I weighed yesterday and had gained four pounds. Sounds like everyone has a stall aound three weeks! I plan on starting the gym today!!

I think after the the first 4 weeks, I didn't weight myself for an entire month. After reading the boards I knew the stall would come in that time and I didn't want to know about it. I lived my life without the scale for teh entire 2nd month. At the end I had only lost a couple of pounds, but I was happy I had some progress through the slump.

It is normal to stall in this time. Also, a stall isn't really a stall unless it goes on for more than 2 weeks. There are lots of fluctuations in the meantime.

I weigh once a week at the most. Sometimes I wait longer. Don't be a slave to the scale, believe me. you can't help but lose weight with the calorie restriction you will have for the next several months.

Good luck!

I had my surgery on august 26th. Pre op I was 386 and down to 354 day of surgery and then down to 329 last week. I weighed yesterday and had gained four pounds. Sounds like everyone has a stall aound three weeks! I plan on starting the gym today!!

I saw my nutritionist and surgeon today for a one month follow up. Neither seemed concerned about the fact that I haven't lost in a while. They said I was doing all the right things, just stick with in and the loss will resume. I am not weighing nearly as often now, so I don't worry about it so much.

I was in a stall or so I thought that was what it was. Went almost two weeks without losing anything. I was getting really disappointed. Then, I weighed and had lost another six pounds. I was happy again. I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong. Sometimes, I get constipated and think maybe that is what's wrong. I use to eat lots of veggies, but not, it is mostly Protein. Then again, sometimes I thiink I am not going to make it to the restroom quick enough. It's a little strange but I guess it just takes getting use to. I have lost 63 pounds total since liquid diet before surgery. It will be two months on the 25th..I'm not too disappointed. I know I didn't put all the weight on over night and it will take time. Just get impatient sometimes thats all. I see how much everyone around me eats and I eat like three or four bites and thats it..just feels it should be a greater loss. I sometimes get this weird feeling, its not that I'm hungry, or indigestion, its just a weird like feeling. I can't really explain it, so I have gotten in the habit of carrying sunflower seeds around with me. I just suck on those. They have the flavored ones. It seems to help with the wanting food when I see others around me eating. That isn't all the time though, just some time. I know, I'm weird..right? lol

ldpbell

I have been posting all over the forum about this being my problem right now! Lol I honestly thought it was me and im not doing something right. I hate it. But I keep telling myself this cant be it abd try to push on. I an also 3wks out as of today. I actually returned to work last thursday. Felt well enough but was starting to doubt if I had gone back too soon because of the weight gain. I feel it's just excuses I'm giving myself though lol. I started excercising yesterday so hopefully it will push me even harder. Best of luck. Im pretty sure you will be fine. We can all hope for the best :)