Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice please (this is slightly off topic)

I am fairly new to this forum (I have been lurking for a few weeks). I have decided to have the sleeve procedure done and I'm in month 2 of my pre-op weight management program required by my insurance company. I have already met with the surgeon that will be preforming the operation and have attended a wls seminar as well as the orientation required by the surgeon. I'm anticipating have this surgery Jan or Feb 2012 since January will finish my 6 months physician assisted weight management program. I'm 5'4" and currently my weight fluctuates between 315 - 320 and I have been heavy my entire life with right now being my heaviest. I'm giving you this history so it can help with the advice I'm asking for.

Today I was approached by my boss's boss (two levels up) and he was talking about flying me up to Chicago to attend a focus group work session for a high level initiative that is on his plate that has rolled down to my plate. I don't have an issue with the initiative and am taking ownership of it (it has been on my plate for a month now) and I think it is a great opportunity. This initiative is still in the development stage and while it is in development stage we want to look at it from a global holistic perspective so it can be implemented across my organization as a whole.

For more background info, I have been employed with this company for 18 years but I'm new (as of April of this year) to my current organization and I'm inline for a promotion come the end of the year. With that being said, I have a few concerns that I had hope I would not have to deal with until well after my surgery and after I had lost a decent amount of weight. I'm concerned about flying and if I would require to purchase a second seat. The last time I few was around 5 years ago and at that time my weight was around 280-290 and there were no issues. I didn't even need a belt extender, granted the belt was out as far as it could go and it took a little effort to clip it in but I managed.

As I see it I have three options:

1. I can sit with my boss's boss and talk to him about my concerns and let him know that I might need two tickets in order to fly up to Chicago for this meeting (which will be really embarrassing) and also let him know about my involvement with this weight management program so he knows I'm taking steps to improve my health and this shouldn't be a concern in the future.

OR

2. I can come up with a reason why I can't attend in person and see if there is an issue with me attending virtually (they are flying folks from all locations for this meeting, England, Tampa, NY...) so I"m not sure that will be an option.

OR

3. i can take my chances and have the company purchase one seat for me and hope that I don't get asked by the airline (not sure which one it will be) when they see me about needing an additional ticket.

I'm really torn as I don't want to ruin my chances of my promotion as well as I don't want the embarrassment of the conversation with my boss's boss regarding my weight. I know you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see I'm over weight so it won't be a big revelation. Also as we know those folks that haven't had to deal with a big weight issue are not aware of the things we deal with daily and I'm sure the thought of potentially needing to purchase two airline tickets for me hasn't crossed his mind.

So I'm open to any advice that y'all can give. I leave for vacation on Friday so I need to talk with him tomorrow if that ends up being the decision. (I know this is short notice so I hope i get some replies).

Thanks for reading.

well i have flown several times in the past few years and havent had to buy another ticket, however i dont require an extender. i have seen other people get them and not have an issue. are they flying you business class, because those seats are a little more roomy. i would ask your boss if they are flying you business class....also some of the airlines offer a last minute upgrade for anywhere between 50-100 dollars. you might want to go to the ticket counter and try to up it. i hope it all works out for the best.

Have your company pay for one seat and if the airline makes you pay for a second, pay for it yourself. But if you can buckle yourself in with an extender, do it. Maybe fly during an off-time so the flight isn't full and the chances the airline will charge you are lower.

Don't talk about personal matters with the boss's boss. He thinks you are the person for the job. Get that promotion!

Great advice here! I agree, I wouldn't bring the weight/seat topic up with the big boss. Also, you can probably find a seat measurement online and then find a similarly sized seat and try it on for size to see what you think! Usually it will be an administrative assistant of some sort doing the booking of a flight so you maybe even be able to ask them if they can let you know the upgrade cost to business and that you may want to do that at your own cost if it's an option.

when I went to conferences my employer paid for travel but I paid for an extra seat. That said I once had to fly on short notice and ticket too expensive so I just went with one seat and airline did not say anything. was well over 300 at the time, I think that was American.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I will be booking my flight to Chicago today for Sept 20 - 23. I"m on vacation starting tomorrow and I'm scheduled to return to work from vacation on the 20th. I'll be making my flight arrangements myself and hope a seat belt externder will be all I need (keeping my fingers crossed). If I have to purchase an extra seat I will pay for that on my own with my personal credit card. I just wasn't sure if I can use a different card then my corporate card to purchase the extra seat if needed.

Hi Crump13,

I see you've already got some great advice and decided how to handle things. I just wanted to chime in and say "Go you!"

I'm so grateful this surgery is out there to help us deal with our weight issues. I can't wait till you join us on the losers' bench and these worries are behind you.

Hope you have a great time at the conference.

Lynda

Have your company pay for one seat and if the airline makes you pay for a second, pay for it yourself. But if you can buckle yourself in with an extender, do it. Maybe fly during an off-time so the flight isn't full and the chances the airline will charge you are lower.

Don't talk about personal matters with the boss's boss. He thinks you are the person for the job. Get that promotion!

THIS. x 1000. Don't even appear to be the slightest bit concerned over flying up there. If something happens at the airport and they make you get a second seat (I REALLY doubt it!!), then take care of it yourself, privately. And I would so NOT talk to the boss or their boss about it at. all. No personal conversations like that -- seriously, just don't. I can't say it strongly enough.

Remember: Never let 'em see you sweat. GOOD LUCK!!! smile.gif

Thanks again for the great advice everyone :-)

@MeMeMEEE: I did some research and the seats range from 17"-18" (either of these are a tight fit) and I found a sight that provided which airlines used the 18" seats and I booked my flight with those. I'm flying American to Chicago and United home. I'm planning to arrive at the airport early to see if I can do an upgrade to business class and pick up that expense myself, if it is available.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement. This is going to be a long journey for me and I keep telling myself that this time next year I will be much lighter and hope to be 7-8 months post op.

I have been reading this message board every opportunity I have had since I made my decision for the sleeve (I was originally considering the lap band but after more research I decided on the sleeve) and there is a lot of folks sharing their success stories. I was surprised at how much weight folks are losing in the first year. All of these stories and post keep me motivated!! :-)

Thank you,