Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Telly - Ummm... psyllium when mixed with Fluid produces massive bulk, like gel. Did you read the link to the article I posted? The article explains where all that bulk really comes from. The 'colon cleanse' products themselves bind to the fluids and that creates large, often unusual bowel movements.

If you ever have to go in for a colonoscopy, all it takes is 1-2 days MAX on a laxative like sodium citrate to -completely- clean you out, to clean anyone out, and when they do the scope, everything inside is totally pink and clean and empty. You would find that even though you were totally clean and pink and empty inside - proven by the camera/scope. That on the one to two day cleanse they put you on to prepare you for the test, that you would pass not a lot more in terms of solid waste than your body normally does, just more Water content added, since the laxative effect uses the Water to cleanse the bowel.

Both my husband and I have had to have ir done at one time in our lives, my hubby brought home a few pictures they gave him of his insides, pink and shiny like the inside of your mouth! Dr.'s that do thousands upon thousands of these scopes will testify, as well as those that do autopsies on the bowels of the deceased, that this stuff -isn't- in our bowels. What is causing all that weird elimination, is the colon cleanse products themselves!

What are the potential dangers and harm... well I would recommend googling for information on the possible risks and side effects of psyllium, especially in larger doses. Many places recommend that anyone with gastrointestinal irregularities avoid psyllium because it can cause blockages, because it binds with water/liquids and if there is not enough water to keep the mass soft, you can end up with blockage. Now depending on where you got blocked, for someone with a lap-band, this could be a serious problem, what if the blockage occured in the stomach, and pressured the band into a slip? I'm not typing this to 'fight' or 'debate' with people, I don't care about being 'wrong or right' - I just would like people to be carefull and really investigate alternative health regimes carefully, I use a lot of supplements and alternative medicine and therapies, and believe some are great. Though I do believe some, like colon cleansing, aren't beneficial and can even be harmful.

Like NancyRN, I really do believe that this is quackery, and is a healthcare fraud perpetuated by modern day snake oil salespeople... that's simply my opinion. You are definitely entitled to your own. I just do hope that people look at all the information they can, take in as much information from as many sources, hopefully some scientific medical studies included in that, and then make the decision they feel is best for them.

I think if you feel that colon cleansing is positive for you, and works for you, and makes you feel better, and that you don't feel there is a health risk to you, or a risk to your band - that you should go ahead and indulge. If your bariatric surgeon/Dr. and you, or even you on your own, feel it's something you benefit from, I think that's great. Doesn't change my own beliefs on it, from my own research though, and like you, I'll still want to voice my cautions to others. People can never have too much info, from all sides of an issue, when making decisions.

XO

Leila

Also too, what's funny is that when I did my first cleansing, I had to fast the entire week as I did it, meaning I could not eat a damn thing. I did it to the "T" and let me tell you, a whole 7 days of cleansing with just applejuice and that concoction that I had to make with psyllium Husk and ginger....

I can understand having a bowel movement after being on that stuff for 2 days. But when you start seeing, yards and yards of black stuff come out that is rubbery and green...or brown and other weird things..... after day 3... without eating???? Where is all that stuff coming from? Mind you, I did not have diahrrea. It felt like a regular toilet session. Not spurty and not watery, just wholesome. I was always hydrated and fine. Never felt dizzy or lacking anything. I actually felt bursts of energy as my skin changed that week.

But do explain .... pounds of stuff coming out of you 3 days of elimination when you aren't eating anything but husk? What's all that black stuff that was rubbery that came out? How did I lose 7lbs? Harmful? I'm still here with no issues at all.

Hehe, Argon, you rock! That's where I got it. From EBAY from an Herbalist. That stuff came in like it was made at Tiffany's. Really great stuff! Tastes good too.

Yes Leila but it doesn't turn black. I know it bulks, hence the purpose for it... to bulk up inside of your colon and grab hold of anything in the crevices. Trust me, I've read lots about it.

I know we're going to disagree on it, and as I've said, I feel you're entitled to your opinion and I respect it, I just disagree with it, and want to put the other side of the story out there for people so that they can make a decision based on multiple perspectives.

Here's a warning label on a supplement bottle of pure psyllium http://www.warrennutrition.com/NNFPsylliumHuskWhole.htm - it's not something I would personally want to risk as a bandster, If it swells in the pouch or the stoma, it could cause a major problem. The psyllium itself won't turn your movement black, unless of course it's black psyllium and not blond psyllium - but I'm assuming that since you know it wasn't the psyllium that was responsible for your stools being black that the source listed the psyllium in your cleanse product as the blond variety. But often there are other ingredients in colon cleansers to affect the color of the movement. So blackness, if it wasn't caused by black psyllium, could also be caused by another additive. The psyllium itself will bulk to over 100 times it's dry density, causing massive amounts of bulk. Most of the time people pass it without any problems. When they don't, they can obstruct anywhere from within the throat - causing choking, to down into the bowel, causing bowel obstruction. Here is a really good article that talks about both the benefits and the risks of psyllium - http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/PrintablePages/herbMonograph/0,11475,4040,00.html

I know you've said you have read a lot on it, so all the detailed information in the above link is stuff you are very familiar with, but other people may not know, and may want to know, before going ahead with a cleanse.

XO

Leila

Yes Leila but it doesn't turn black. I know it bulks, hence the purpose for it... to bulk up inside of your colon and grab hold of anything in the crevices. Trust me, I've read lots about it.

Hon, enough! You've thrown all of your little articles and links in my face on my computer say... 3 or 4 times today, repeating yourself. You won't change my mind... lol

Hiya all,

I read this thread when it first popped up along with the other one. I have suffered badly since my TT 4 months ago and had been to the toilet a handful of times. I read the sites etc and decided to go with one that sounded great which I wont mention because I dont want to seem like I am advertising. I am on day 6 and welllllllllllll it is one of the best things I have ever done. I am really shocked and suprised what ummmm actually comes out (TMI) things I hadnt eaten in a long time etc. This one I am using really works and I feel 10000 times better, my skin looks better and as a bonus I dropped 4 kgs. I know its not fat but that was an extra 4 kgs I was carrying around backed up in my bowels and intestines etc.

I love it and will continue to do it for maintanance...thanks for the post and information throughout.

Hugs

I think it's important to say that people who are post-band should REALLY stay away from any laxative or supplement that bulks. Fiber additives can really help--I know from personal experience--but they have to be the non-thickening type like guar gum (which is what's in Benefiber). Psyllium or whatever is in Metamucil and other bulk-type laxatives can really cause problems if taken by bandsters.

I would never try a colon cleanse post-banding Alexandra, but my paperwork does state once a week Metamucil one tsp. in one glass of orange juice, so not sure all docs are in agreement on this one. They also suggest adding the powered fiber to everything we cook which seems like a great idea. I think the Metamucil is only if you absolutely have to use it and not much at that. What problems do you think it causes. I've so far stayed away from anything except the fiber added to the diet. I would think the Metamucil would be far easier on our body than say a laxative like Ex-lax. Your opinion is appreciated.

I will remain adamant that the colon cleanse helped me not have any gas in my shoulder or diaphragm. I could be wrong, but something certainly prevented it.

wow, everyone has such great/strong opinions. I know one thing for sure, I'm going to do a colon cleanse prior to surgery (hopefully I will have the same results as you did as far as no gas after surgery). I will definately post here and tell ya'll how that went. Thanks to all.:rolleyes:

Nancy, how much Mineral Oil and how often? Thanks for your replies. I'm taking the cheap way out! :biggrin1:

Me too. Since I read her post, I went to rite aid and bought a 32 oz bottle of mineral oil for $7 bucks... I'll try this first...it is helping BM's. But Nurse, what about the parasites/worms people claim to have expelled on those colon cleansers, is this not true?

Me too. Since I read her post, I went to rite aid and bought a 32 oz bottle of mineral oil for $7 bucks... I'll try this first...it is helping BM's. But Nurse, what about the parasites/worms people claim to have expelled on those colon cleansers, is this not true?

Be careful with the oil, it can give you an upset stomach.....not to mention greasy stool....not pretty. (make sure that if you think you have gas...sit on the toilet anyway just in case)

You will only pass worms if you have worms:p .

Good luck- start with a small dose of oil!

Lol, yeah I know, not pretty, but why was I just sitting here and had to run for the toilet .:nervous:bolt::rolleyes:

Did you take the oil?