Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

John Wayne and Elvis are both dead, so that comparison is hillarious. Do what you think is best for yourself. I found colon cleansers to be anything but a scam but that is my personal opinion. If some people think they are scams they are entitled to their opinion. I personally didn't want to go the mineral oil route. Like I said there are dr's. that perform colonics, and loads of people that buy them....so I guess we are all being scammed and feeling good in the process. Do whatever you want and don't let anyone with an ax to grind influence you. I for one think they are great every 6 mo. or so, but that is a very personal opinion.

Take good care of yourself and never worry about feeling defensive about your choices.

Like I said before, I've had several cleanses and it's amazing how my skin changed afterwards, how my belly flattened, how gas disappeared, what I saw come out that didn't look like anything I ate and how much weight I lost in the process....

Quackery or not... no one here is a Gastroenterologist so just chill. If you are curious about cleaning out your colon, try it. Either you'll see what I saw or you won't. Make your own discoveries and base your findings on evidence v/s heresay.

Funny thing too, there are a few people in here who are in the "medical field" such as myself, who find it easy to jump into a thread and totally challenge it or try to immediately use their credentials to become an alarmist. Don't let a credential (b/c I know MANY medical providers that aren't 100% all knowing, why do you think we need a 2nd opionion?) get you scared or feeling stupid.

Funny thing too, there are a few people in here who are in the "medical field" such as myself, who find it easy to jump into a thread and totally challenge it or try to immediately use their credentials to become an alarmist. Don't let a credential (b/c I know MANY medical providers that aren't 100% all knowing, why do you think we need a 2nd opionion?) get you scared or feeling stupid.

Those from the "medical field" show up not only as "alarmists" but as "defenders" as well. So, applying the same logic, just because someone who is in the field says it's a good idea, doesn't make it so, either.

(BTW, that link I provided eventually leads to some of the letters sent by the FDA to some of the "colon cleanse" gurus regarding their false claims, false advertising, etc. Usually, they STOP, but then immediately start up with some other enterprise of similar dubious veracity.)

Pretty much repeating what I said.

This is my last posting on this topic! Telly thank you for your input, I was feeling like I was being smacked around for watching a medical program and sharing it.

For the record Nancy...your website you posted for all to see is not scientific...somebody made a website based on articles written by other people..not scholarly at all. What were the doctor's credentials??

I know this sounds extremely rude on my part and I do apologize, but I feel I need to defend myself...no reason to slam me. I have no medical background, I was just relaying what I saw on the news.

You know, really, if it doesn't hurt you, who cares if some doctors say it is bad? If you feel better after a colon cleanse, then go do it! If you feel better after having a big glass of mineral oil, then go do it! As long as it is not going to harm you then to each their own.

If I believe that dancing naked in a field of flowers is the cure for my depression, and it works for me, then who is to say "well that isn't valid?" Because, it worked, so therefore, it is valid.

A lot of healing your body is in your mind.

wow, what an overwhelming response to the thread I started. I think this was good. I mean that is what this website is all about right? Everyone throwing their two cents in. Please nobody apologize for what they write on here. Please nobody get offended. And please nobody state that they are correct and nobody else is. Seems everyone had good points and good things to contribute. Makes you look at it from all sides before choosing your own opinion.

Agreed.

The only medical advice I'll take is that in which my doctor gives me. No one elses.

Did you start this thread because of mine asking if anyone's ever gotten a colon cleanse? You shoulda just asked there ! :)

Did you start this thread because of mine asking if anyone's ever gotten a colon cleanse? You shoulda just asked there ! :)

I started this thread because I just wanted to ask about colon cleanse. I'm not sure who put it in my head, but I was asking people about the pre-op liquid diet. I needed to lose 10 pounds in 14 days and I didn't know if that was possible. So I was inquiring about some tips for some fast, temporary weight loss before surgery. Someone asked me if I had ever tried that. Not sure if that was you. So I started a new thread so I could get responses generated just for that particular subject. Was I wrong to do that? I'm not sure about "message board etiquette". :)

Oh no no... not wrong. I just thought if it was my 'has ever one ever tried a colon cleanse?" thread that got you wondering that, and if it was, you coulda just asked there, and you would have also got to see all the responses from the other people who responded to my question. No worries! It's cool. :) :hug:

Hi Bettina,

You posted "For the record Nancy...your website you posted for all to see is not scientific...somebody made a website based on articles written by other people..not scholarly at all. What were the doctor's credentials??

I know this sounds extremely rude on my part and I do apologize, but I feel I need to defend myself...no reason to slam me. I have no medical background, I was just relaying what I saw on the news."

The article "Gastrointestinal Quackery: Colonics, laxatives, and More", which appears on the Quackwatch site, is a scholarly article on a very professional site. Re "somebody made a website based on articles written by other people...not scholarly at all", it is common for scholarly health professionals to write articles listing others' articles as references, because they are building on the body of knowledge developed by those others. Doing so is a legitimate and respectful practice, expected by medical journals and universities.

The references listed at the end of the article are from highly respected medical journals and the food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Medical journals such as the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM), and the Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology do not publish articles from just anyone saying just anything. They use a peer-review system, in which experts in the field being written about check the article for accuracy and completeness before publication. The FDA warning letters are official publications from the national agency.

Regarding "what are the doctor's credentials?", they are readily available on the website. Stephen Barrett, MD is the Vice President of the Board of Directors of The National Council Against Health Fraud. He has a long and distinguished career, having written over 50 books and won over 70 awards. He is a widely known and respected expert on health care fraud and has appeared on such shows as Today, Good Morning America, ABC PrimeTime, and CNN. The magazine "Time" published an article about him, in its January 12, 2006 issue.

Bettina, I don't think you need to apologize for posting about the claims on the TV show you saw. I intended to counter the misinformation in the TV show by using scientific facts. I wasn't slamming you personally. And you're right that there is no reason to slam you. I don't think I did and I regret it if you took it that way.

Nancy RN