Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

thanks dascjp1 and Bettina and everyone else who responded.. I ordred the powder colon cleanse to do the next two weeks. Sounds like it is a good thing all around. Thank you guys for responding so quickly and thouroughly. I have googled colon cleanse and things of that nature and I learned so much. thanks again.

Friends,

I'm an RN and I have to tell you...you're being snookered. The stuff about tar in your colon, oxygen to clean out toxins, etc. is cr*p -- no scientific basis whatsoever. It sounds plausible, doesn't it? Especially the part about "tar" being stuck to your insides like crud that builds up in pipes and needs to be removed with Drano. But it is not true!! -- Just clever advertising using vivid images. Nothing gets "stuck to" the inside walls of your bowel or narrows the space for passage of fecal matter.

You do not need to cleanse your colon unless you're going to have a diagnostic bowel test, such as a colonoscopy, or bowel surgery, and in those cases, the doctor would prescribe a reliable product for you to use.

Colon hydrotherapy is nothing more than "enemas til clear", a medical term meaning using so much enema solution that all that returns from the rectum is clear Fluid. The only situations in which this is advisable are again bowel diagnostic tests or surgery, for patients who are hospitalized and so ill they can't wait the time necessary for oral pills or liquid to work.

The various pills, powders, etc. are basically strong laxatives. They will cause you to empty the feces in your colon -- but you could accomplish the same thing much cheaper by taking mineral oil. The weight loss that results is only temporary. It occurs because fecal matter has a weight, so of course if you expel it, you will weigh less and feel lighter.

Just because many stores sell a "colon cleanse" or a celebrity endorses it doesn't mean it's worthwhile. Testimonials and celebrity claims often are used to market dubious products. Save your money.

NancyRN

Quote: "They showed the "tar" in your colon on the program..pretty yucky! Your colon is only about 2 1/2 inches in diameter, but with the yucky stuff some get to 9 inches in diameter. They said that when John Wayne died, he had 40 lbs of tar in his colon and Elvis had 60. They said the pressure from the ballooned colon can cause back pain, puts pressure on our internal organs and is really bad for us... So they say cleansing gets rid of the tar on the walls of our colon and cleans out blockages too."

What garbage!! Just because "they" say it doesn't mean it's true! And who are "they" anyway? These ads typically contain testimonials (anyone can say anything, remember) and claims by bogus MDs who've done "clinical studies" -- but these studies never have been published in reputable medical journals.

There is no tar in the bowel. The claims about John Wayne and Elvis are ridiculous. And a "ballooned colon as much as 9 inches"?! Colons don't "balloon" just because they've got fecal matter in them.

It's true that you can develop blockages in your bowel, in very precise situations. One, called a bowel obstruction, is extremely serious and requires prompt surgery to save the bowel. Another occurs in the rectum, typically in an elderly patient who is weak and dehydrated and hasn't had a bowel movement in days. It's called a "fecal impaction". The only way to get it out is for a nurse to put a gloved finger up into the patient's rectum and break it up and force it out manually.:omg: Sounds gross? I've done it, more than once, and it is. If a "colon cleanse" could prevent bowel obstruction or fecal impaction, believe me, hospitals would be using it. But it doesn't.

These claims are bogus. Wonder if what I'm saying is true? Ask your doctor. After he/she picks him/herself up from the floor and stops laughing, he/she will confirm what I've said.

NancyRN

What is a colon cleanse and what kind of doctor do you see to get one?

My dr. recommends this the day before surgery to prevent gas, and Ihave to say it's doing it's job. I ordered mine on-line.

Dody

They will cause you to empty the feces in your colon -- but you could accomplish the same thing much cheaper by taking mineral oil. The weight loss that results is only temporary. It occurs because fecal matter has a weight, so of course if you expel it, you will weigh less and feel lighter.

NancyRN

I'm not sure if you read all the posts from the beginning of this thread. But I'm only looking for "temporary weight loss". thanks though. I learned alot from what you wrote.

-- but you could accomplish the same thing much cheaper by taking mineral oil.

Nancy, how much Mineral Oil and how often? Thanks for your replies. I'm taking the cheap way out! :biggrin1:

I had irritable bowel with frequent loose stools prior to banding. However, since banding I think all the Protein really stops me up I get discomfort if I don't take something regular to help. I have used stool softener with Senna in it and I am now using Lacy Le Beau's Super Dieter's TEA which is a herbal tea with natural senna. I drink one warm cup of tea a night - IT IS CAFFIENE FREE. I go like clock work every day and no longer have discomfort. I do not get gasy or crampying. I initially had fairly loose stools but after using it awhile it works like the stool softner pills but works better. It says on the package not to take more then 7-10 a a time unless dr okayed. My doctor advised me to take something to help with stools because the Constipation I was experiencing was causing severe hemroidal bleeding, which has completely stopped. Plus with the tea don't have to worry about pills getting stuck, even though I have no problems with swallowing pills. If I skip a day and don't drink the tea I stop up immediately. It sure makes my life alot easier. Can get it at wal-mart and other big chain stores.

A blog on colon cleansing, which is typical of these products, can be found at http://www.coloncleansingblog.com/. Be forewarned: the pictures on this site are disgusting. I've seen a lot of revolting things in my 32 years as a nurse, but these made me want to gag. They're supposed to be pictures of poop, but they don't resemble real poop. And, because they're so nauseating, no one is likely to look at these pictures closely. (Remember, just because a site claims something doesn't mean it's true.) They're meant to convince you that stuff like that actually is inside you, so you'll be sure to buy their product. In fact, they're probably feces mixed with the very Fiber in the colon cleansing product the person swallowed!

To get a scientific view of colon cleansing, go to this site:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/gastro.html.

NancyRN

All I know is that if I take a little of the supercolon cleanse everyday and use it as directed on the weekend, I feel better. No Constipation. Even if that is all it does is keep me regular, I am happy. No one likes a constipated poodle. :love:

I have been using colon cleanse for years now about every 6 mo. or so, and feel so much better because of it. There is some evidence to support it prevents colon cancer also. I don't think it's a scam at all and I'm a retired nurse. It has a lot of benefits to it in my opinion. I will continu to use it every 6 mo. or so. There are dr's. (very legitimate) that do colon cleansing and I don't consider them quacks at all. I would dread the thought of mineral oil or many other harsh products, but this is gentle and works beautfully...and the truth is if you haven't tried it you have no idea what you are going to find the results are. They are amazing to say the least. I highly recommend it, and then make your own decisions.

:cry

Quote: "They showed the "tar" in your colon on the program..pretty yucky! Your colon is only about 2 1/2 inches in diameter, but with the yucky stuff some get to 9 inches in diameter. They said that when John Wayne died, he had 40 lbs of tar in his colon and Elvis had 60. They said the pressure from the ballooned colon can cause back pain, puts pressure on our internal organs and is really bad for us... So they say cleansing gets rid of the tar on the walls of our colon and cleans out blockages too."

What garbage!! Just because "they" say it doesn't mean it's true! And who are "they" anyway? These ads typically contain testimonials (anyone can say anything, remember) and claims by bogus MDs who've done "clinical studies" -- but these studies never have been published in reputable medical journals.

There is no tar in the bowel. The claims about John Wayne and Elvis are ridiculous. And a "ballooned colon as much as 9 inches"?! Colons don't "balloon" just because they've got fecal matter in them.

It's true that you can develop blockages in your bowel, in very precise situations. One, called a bowel obstruction, is extremely serious and requires prompt surgery to save the bowel. Another occurs in the rectum, typically in an elderly patient who is weak and dehydrated and hasn't had a bowel movement in days. It's called a "fecal impaction". The only way to get it out is for a nurse to put a gloved finger up into the patient's rectum and break it up and force it out manually.:omg: Sounds gross? I've done it, more than once, and it is. If a "colon cleanse" could prevent bowel obstruction or fecal impaction, believe me, hospitals would be using it. But it doesn't.

These claims are bogus. Wonder if what I'm saying is true? Ask your doctor. After he/she picks him/herself up from the floor and stops laughing, he/she will confirm what I've said.

NancyRN

I am sorry I posted that :cry didn't mean to upset anyone....... its still a good wake up call to take better care of yourself! (and if we feel better for taking natural supplements....I don't see the harm)