Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Life threatning erosion but ready for Sleeve

Hello, I had my band in 2004 and loved it, but in May of 2009 had puss (sorry gross, I know) coming out of my port site. I had a little zit that was draining and I pinched it and puss speawed everywhere. By the next day, you could see into my tummy as the hole was larger. Dr was going to remove port as he thought it was port infection. I didn't have $ for endoscopy, so decided to just have port removed. At a friends advice I checked myself into local hospital with Dr Sheih being their gastric Dr...he is so terrific. He admitted me and did endoscopy next day. Band was eroded and stomach was very infected and almost had covered entire band. Dr said if they had removed port, pressure released would have spilled infection to my organs. He said I must have an angel in heaven watching over me. Had to have over 100 stitches to repair stomach and lost band. Was in hospital 3 wks to get rid of infection and have huge hole at port site cleaned and packed daily. It has been over 2 1/2 yrs and I've gained 65 lbs, up to 200 and climbing. Hate myself. Dr said he would do sleeve for free but is have to pay hospital and anesthesia. Which I cannot afford. I found a Dr that takes my Medicaid and want the sleeve (don't even know if they cover it), but scared as the band failure was so traumatic. Family totally against it, but I hate being this big again I'm always tired, I think I'm starting to have issues with high blood pressure and have terrible acid reflux. I have tons of questions and concerns....please help, should I go ahead, maybe I guess Dr can answer questions during consult. Any important questions I should ask...please help me. If you had an erosion, how was your transition to sleeve?

I did not have erosion but I did have a slipped band and a ton of bad scar tissue left behind from the band. I had the revision 2 1/2 months ago and the doctor had to remove all of the bad scar tissue. I did fine with the surgery with not a one complication. I was back to work in 6 days and I feel great. The sleeve is all the things that the band was promised to be without all the complications that the band brings. It's nice to be able to eat a very small meal and feel full and actually not throw up my food. If you go with the sleeve you will be very pleased with the results. IT'S NOTHING LIKE THE BAND......and that is a good thing.

Good luck to you!

Holy moly! That sounds terrible! You will have to jump through a lot of hoops to get the surgery covered - it will give you a lot of time to think about the surgery and whether or not you are comfortable with it. All of us band to sleevers have dealt with the feeling of failure and thinking that a second surgery might just be a waste of time / money. Just make sure you get an excellent surgeon who understands your helath history. Sounds like it might be complicated with the previous scar tissue.

Good luck---

I too had a band errode and its been 3 years Ive gained all my weight back and am scheduled to have a sleeve next week. I am very afraid having gone through such a bad experience before and I know this surgery is going to be more complicated do to my damaged stomach. Its nice to know that other people have made it past this and have somewhat of an understanding.

I had my band removed a little over a year ago due to erosion. The thing with me is I didnt have any pain symptoms. The only thing I noticed is I started gaining weight. I also went to a different bariatric surgeon. He did an endoscopy and immediately found it. He immediately took out the band and during the course of a little over a year, I have gained 65 pounds. The weight gain has affected my moods, well being, motivation and friendships and relationships.

I am happy to say that I have taken the first step to getting my life back. My surgery date is October 8th. I am having to self pay but I feel like its a small price to pay for a healhier me and getting my life back on track. I hope you find your way and wish you luck.

I had the band and had a full slip. It was terrible. I was very hesitant to get the sleeve because of my nightmare. I can tell you it was the best decision I have ever made. I lost 95 pounds in 8 months and I am thrilled. I am 102 pounds down from my highest pre-lapband weight. Good Luck

Thank you guys makes me feel better in pursuing the surgery knowing that others have been through this. My tummy will be more scarred...had laproscopic band, then gall bladder, then scar tissue removal, then band removal, oh my....making doctors appt tomorrow. I will keep you updated on what he said and the probability of being approved. If not please start putting your pennies in a jar, so I can head to Mexico again, lol.

I had the band and had a full slip. It was terrible. I was very hesitant to get the sleeve because of my nightmare. I can tell you it was the best decision I have ever made. I lost 95 pounds in 8 months and I am thrilled. I am 102 pounds down from my highest pre-lapband weight. Good Luck

I too have been hesitant to get the sleeve because what I went through with the Lap band errosion was so bad. I am scheduled for surgery next week and go back in forth as to whether or not I am doing the right thing. I gained all my weight back after the band was removed and cant wait to be thinner and feel better about myself. I am glad to see that you have had such success.

Hello, I had my band in 2004 and loved it, but in May of 2009 had puss (sorry gross, I know) coming out of my port site. I had a little zit that was draining and I pinched it and puss speawed everywhere. By the next day, you could see into my tummy as the hole was larger. Dr was going to remove port as he thought it was port infection. I didn't have $ for endoscopy, so decided to just have port removed. At a friends advice I checked myself into local hospital with Dr Sheih being their gastric Dr...he is so terrific. He admitted me and did endoscopy next day. Band was eroded and stomach was very infected and almost had covered entire band. Dr said if they had removed port, pressure released would have spilled infection to my organs. He said I must have an angel in heaven watching over me. Had to have over 100 stitches to repair stomach and lost band. Was in hospital 3 wks to get rid of infection and have huge hole at port site cleaned and packed daily. It has been over 2 1/2 yrs and I've gained 65 lbs, up to 200 and climbing. Hate myself. Dr said he would do sleeve for free but is have to pay hospital and anesthesia. Which I cannot afford. I found a Dr that takes my Medicaid and want the sleeve (don't even know if they cover it), but scared as the band failure was so traumatic. Family totally against it, but I hate being this big again I'm always tired, I think I'm starting to have issues with high blood pressure and have terrible acid reflux. I have tons of questions and concerns....please help, should I go ahead, maybe I guess Dr can answer questions during consult. Any important questions I should ask...please help me. If you had an erosion, how was your transition to sleeve?

Hi mariposa,

Well, I did not have and eroded band, but my band simply never liked me. It never gave me proper restirction, even after 2.5 years and 20+ adjustments! It also gave me night GERD and I would wake up choking on my reflux all night long. It was no bueno!!

When I started to seriously consider perhaps having the band removed and maybe getting the sleeve or even the RnY, I researched and asked a million questions to lots of people. I was finally convinced that I should just go for it, and I would be happy with my decision. Guess what...??? I AM!!! My sleeve has really saved my life!!

I had so many physical issues, some life threatening that today are no longer but a distant memory. High blood pressure, possible future diabetes (it ran in my family and I would get hypo/hyperglycemic sometimes - though I do still if i eat something too high in sugar!) arthritis in my knees where I was SCHEDULED to have 2 seperate knee surgeries - but NEVER NEEDED TO HAVE!!! yayy!! I was so down and perhaps even depressed... but today I'm living the life I'd dreamed about for decades and I'm feeling SKY HIGH!!

I know this can be you as well! Hang in there and once you get your surgery, you will be here before you know it. :)

Xoxo

A port infection that isn't immediately post-op should be a huge red flag for possible erosion. The bacteria from your stomach love to travel down the tubing and start little colonies around the port. Hmm, another person in the 5 - 7 year range losing their band... can't say I'm surprised.

I believe Medicare doesn't cover the sleeve at this time. THere has been some confusion because they have the CPT code (used for coding and billing), but that doesn't mean it's approved.

My band slipped, and was removed yesterday. I'm pursuing the sleeve. If I couldn't do it on my own in the last 20 years, I have no reason to think that has suddenly changed. I know I need help to get to a healthy weight, and my family understands that. Your family's reservations are understandable considering the dangers of erosion and sepsis. Help them see the logical side of it. Right now they're stuck in the emotional side.

Sleeves don't erode, either. :)

A port infection that isn't immediately post-op should be a huge red flag for possible erosion. The bacteria from your stomach love to travel down the tubing and start little colonies around the port. Hmm, another person in the 5 - 7 year range losing their band... can't say I'm surprised.

I believe Medicare doesn't cover the sleeve at this time. THere has been some confusion because they have the CPT code (used for coding and billing), but that doesn't mean it's approved.

My band slipped, and was removed yesterday. I'm pursuing the sleeve. If I couldn't do it on my own in the last 20 years, I have no reason to think that has suddenly changed. I know I need help to get to a healthy weight, and my family understands that. Your family's reservations are understandable considering the dangers of erosion and sepsis. Help them see the logical side of it. Right now they're stuck in the emotional side.

Sleeves don't erode, either. :)

The doctor I found in Miami said the sleeve could be covered by Medicaid but I was given share of cost which is different.

I, too, had a lapband erosion and was terribly sick with peritonitis. I’ve never been so close to death but my weight gain since the removal has me scared into getting the sleeve. :o I am currently going through a six month supervised diet, etc. I am looking for surgery after the first of the year.

I want to express my thanks to all of you who have shared. sometimes you help somebody in an indirect way... even if you don't know it!

I have a slipped band and don't really have bad symptoms. I am terrified of surgery and haven't exactly been thrilled to move forward with my band removal. Let's be honest, my anxiety is escalating daily. I rescheduled once from Sept 1 because I got a cold and I am freaked about breathing/coughing anyway.... and I was just scared by having surgery when I had a cold.

Reading this thread helped cement my resolve to face my fears and get this dang band OUT before I have even more serious problems. My surgeon told me that a slipped band can result in emergency surgery if it shuts off the stomach completely.

i am scheduled for Sept 28th band removal surgery. I have done my final blood work, am doing medifast to lose a few pounds presurgery (not required by surgeon, but makes me feel better about it). Now, I just need to not chicken out!

I want to express my thanks to all of you who have shared. sometimes you help somebody in an indirect way... even if you don't know it!

I have a slipped band and don't really have bad symptoms. I am terrified of surgery and haven't exactly been thrilled to move forward with my band removal. Let's be honest, my anxiety is escalating daily. I rescheduled once from Sept 1 because I got a cold and I am freaked about breathing/coughing anyway.... and I was just scared by having surgery when I had a cold.

Reading this thread helped cement my resolve to face my fears and get this dang band OUT before I have even more serious problems. My surgeon told me that a slipped band can result in emergency surgery if it shuts off the stomach completely.

i am scheduled for Sept 28th band removal surgery. I have done my final blood work, am doing medifast to lose a few pounds presurgery (not required by surgeon, but makes me feel better about it). Now, I just need to not chicken out!

Please don't postpone it any longer. I don't know what the difference from a slip and erosion is but my erosion was very severe and life threatning. My band was almost all into my stomach and so much infection it traveled all the way to the port and found an exit. If I hadn't pinched that little zit I would have never known. I didn't have any symptoms. I loved my band and loved being thin and hott, I looked so damn good, but I love being here for my children more. I have been looking into getting the sleeve, I have FL share of cost Medicaid with a share of $881, I found a Dr close by that takes if but my bmi is 38...Dr wants me to gain 12 lbs which I can probably do....I have mixed feelings about that and my oldest daughter does not want me to have surgery, she was old enough to know the severity of when I lost band and she said she'd rather I don't. I'm going to give it my best try to do it on my own, once last time. I am at 200 lbs and I can't say I've put in a real effort since I lost the band, so for her I'm going to. Wish me luck. I started Monday, so too soon to say. :/ keep me posted on your removal, are you at your goal weight? As soon as you recover from removal, work on maintaining the weight you have lost, don't be like me and let 5 lbs gained turn into 60...well good luck, and maybe soon ill be having to get the sleeve I refuse to continue to gain and feel so unhealthy and so ugly.

So awesome, gives me hope and inspiration. :)