Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, I Had a lapband back in Nov. 2004, it eroded in May of 2009, life threatning infection, 3 weeks in hospital, being fed through a pic line and a tube down my nose to drain the acid from my stomach so my over 100 stitches would heal. Very scary but I'm ready to move forward but very confused over sleeve vs bypass. Dr Eddie Gomez was my fill Dr as my band was done in Mexico. Band removal surgeon wad Dr Sheih, excellent Dr in Ft Myers, FL. He is not taking Medicaid anymore so going to consult with Dr Gomez, what questions should I ask considering my prior history?? What should I be concerned about? Please help share your concerns and problems with me. I have a lot of problems with acid reflux and have been reading that is an issue with the sleeve. I am about 5'1" and weighing about 200 lbs, and will probably climb more if I don't do anything, please help...Thank you.

Hope someone responds, last post, no one did. New to this site, but was on Lapband Talk since my surgery. It was a savior and the support I needed, please don't disappoint, I need your help.

You need to find a good revision surgeon since the band did damage while it was in. Look in the Band to Sleeve forum--there are quite a lot of former bandsters here. I'm not one of them or I'd have more to say. Good luck!

I would try a different dr. since the same dr, has a failed lap band. the sleeve is a removal of your extra stomach, it's not reverable and is permante. so this you need to take into concideration. there are some risk to it but with a good surgeon people do fine. you have restricksons to what you can and cant eat especially leading up to surgery time and after. definately consult with a different dr. since the lap - band got infected this might cause complications for a sleeve. but this you should as a surgeon.

:welcome:

Hello and welcome!! Wow, you had a difficult time with the band. I've read this a lot on the boards, but maybe not as bad as your case.

You may have already asked, but does Medicaid cover revisions? If so, do they cover the sleeve as a revision to option? I know all states are different, but my state would not cover the sleeve, only Lap Band or RNY. They would also only cover WLS one time. Your case and your state may be different.

I also agree, you should find a good and experienced surgeon that has experience with a patient that had a lapband. Make sure you are healed enough, and how extensive the damage was and how much scar tissue you have.

As far as acid reflux, this can be a problem immediately post op. I would try to find out if you have a hiatal hernia and most drs can repair at the same time you get sleeved. Most drs put you on a PPI for 3-6 months while your sleeve heals to protect the suture line and to reduce any acid problems. I am 3 mo post op and have discontinued the PPI. So far no problems.

Good luck!!

:)

Hi Kelly, Ty for replying. I was a self pay in Mexico for the band, I just recently got Medicaid and was told they cover weightloss surgeries, don't know which ones yet. I do have a small hernia at the top of my stomach, is that what causes acid reflux? I was on an anti reflux med but it was $300/mo and I stopped being able to afford it. After I lost the band, I lost my gall bladder 3 months later and then a year later had surgery for removal of scar tissue as I was having stomach spasms and Dr thought that was why...Not, still have that issue any strenous activity makes my intestines feel as if they are going to flip or turn, so painful it drops me to my knees. Sometimes last a few seconds sometime longer, then it releases and goes away. Feels like a rock in my stomach when it happens.....surgery didn't help but I hope that Medicaid will be able to help with all my issues, I am in Florida and don't know much about program, but surgery coordinator told me to make appt. with Dr and review my options and issues......so wish me luck and very nice to meet you.