Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet and Weight Loss Pills

Ok, so this might seem like a totally crazy and strange question to be asking, and I apologize if this question was already asked and I missed it, but I was wondering if anyone has taken diet or weight loss pills after having weight loss surgery? I know it seems weird considering that the surgery would seem to eliminate that need so I am guessing no one would feel like they would have to spend money on weight loss aids, but I am just wondering about it. Prior to weight loss I had tried several types such as Hydroxycut, Lipo 6 Black and Alli. I was told by my surgeon to be very careful with my caffeine intake because it increases stomach acid, but I have not had really any issues with the small amounts of caffeine I have continued to take. Anyway, seems kind of strange and maybe these pills would be a huge waste of money (not that I plan on using them, I am just very curious) so if any of you have used these pills after surgery I would love to hear about the results or info given to you about them from your surgeons. Thank you!

This will be interesting to hear from others....

For me...I have been sooooo hooked on following doc's advise for my diet, exercise -- -protien, calories and carbs that I really dont think I would even consider any usage of diet pills..

I agree - I don't think we should need to use any diet pills after surgery, especially if you are following the rules for success. It may speed up weight loss by taking them, but I'd imagine that would cause even saggier skin! I did take a few different types of diet pills before surgery - but I don't think it's a good idea now.. plus they made me feel horrible!

I took Phentermine on and off for many years prior to the sleeve, but I got to the place where I got fed up of the impact on my body and my long-term health. No more pills for me post sleeve. Wonder if anyone has ever taken them post sleeve - seems risky

I would start wondering if their mechanism of action would change, especially with a smaller stomach. Aren't some of those delayed release?

A good number of them are delayed release, which again makes me curious if any one has used them and had any results. I guess I worry because I feel like as we slow down and hit stalls if they would be useful or not, or worse, damaging. I am going to ask my surgeon about them, even though I will get the "you know you are crazy for asking" look. But I simply want to know.

I would start wondering if their mechanism of action would change, especially with a smaller stomach. Aren't some of those delayed release?

I did the HCG diet for about 2 weeks and lost 14 pounds. Gined 4 of those pounds ack, but I think I needed to shake things up a bit. Not a pill, but was a diet nonetheless.