Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

White or Dark Chicken?

I love to cook in the crock pot and over the past year I have fallen in love with skinless, boneless chicken thighs. They stay super moist in the crockpot and the flavor is great. (Plus they are cheaper than the breasts)

However, I never thought about which was better for me. With the small amounts we are eating, is there a nutritional preference between chicken breasts or chicken thighs?

Thanks!

HDub

I think breast is probably leaner. I like the dark meat better myself though. Breast can be so dry.

I love to cook in the crock pot and over the past year I have fallen in love with skinless, boneless chicken thighs. They stay super moist in the crockpot and the flavor is great. (Plus they are cheaper than the breasts)

However, I never thought about which was better for me. With the small amounts we are eating, is there a nutritional preference between chicken breasts or chicken thighs?

Thanks!

HDub

Yeah, I wouldn't question the Protein content, but I would just watch the dark meat if you are watching fats.

Like you said with the little amount that we are consuming, at this point I don't think it matters too much. When you stop losing and want to continue, you have the option to start using the leaner part of the bird. :)

Good luck!

I'm the odd man out that has never really cared for the dark meat. My husband and I always fight about what to buy at costco, he wants to get the bulk pack of thighs but I just don't care for them.

There's a little bit of Iron in dark meat and it does seem moister and more flavorful to me, but I think with the amounts we eat the calorie difference is negligible. Eat what you like!

I say if you were to like both about the same go for the white (for less fat), but if dark is what you really prefer it is okay. If I am cooking at home I tend to use dark meat because it is moister and because I prefer the flavor.

My husband LOVES the bonless chicken thighs!! Early out, I ate them baked because they were moister (is that a word???) than the breast meat and easier to swallow.

I would not worry about the nutritional value too much early on becasue you will not be able to eat more than 2oz at a time!! At least I couldn't!

Now, at 4 motnhs out, I eat grilled chicken breast. It is moist and doesn't give me issues. I still eat the thighs sometime tho!

Kelly :)

As most say, white meat is leaner in fat but I am liking the chicken thighs. I have combined both in some of my crockpot meals. My Walmart has just started carrying boneless, skinless chicken thigh strips.....Even at 9 months I am probably only eating about 4 oz of meat along with a small amount of vegetables. At that stage, I looked more at the Protein then the calorie count.

You folks are great! I can come here and ask questions and not feel like a complete oddball. laugh.gif

If I can find thighs, I may go with it for a while for the moisture and every little bit of Iron counts. Thanks so much!

I make white meat moist by spreading avocado on it when I serve it. I love avocado and this way I get the healthy fat instead!

The white meat has a litle more Protein than the dark meat, (around 15% more,) along with about half the fat (4 vs 8g in 100g roasted) and about 15% less calories. Overall, not that much of a difference, particularly at the amounts that we can eat. Dark meat is often better tolerated by our sleeves early on due to it being moister, but I haven't noticed much difference between them in my tolerance.

Since we're talking chicken, I figured I'd post here - bought a rotisserie chicken from costco this week. My daughter LOVES the legs so she had those for dinner one night and after I skinned it, I've been cutting up the white meat for chicken salad, diced some and seasoned with taco seasoning for one dinner and just diced up some more and sauteed with a drizzle of buffalo wing sauce and a bit of shredded cheese. YUM! It's really moist and there's a ton of meat on those things so I'll likely be able to eat off it for quite a while yet.

BEFORE SURGERY I FAVORED BREAST BUT NOW FIND THAT THE BREAST IS DRIER AND THEREFORE HARDER TO SWALLOW. I HAVE BEEN USING THE BONELESS SKINLESS THIGHS WHICH ARE A LITTLE MORE MOIST AND SEEM TO DIGEST A OT EASIER THAN THE BREAST. WHEN I DO USE chicken BREAST I COOK THEM WHILE FROZEN RATHER THAN UNTHAWING AND THEY MAINTAIN A LITTLE MORE MOISTURE.