Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I KNOW I'm not supposed to compare my weightloss to others buuuuut.....

I had surgery 8/17 and the scale jumps between 9-11 lbs lost NEVER more. As I read, read and read others posts I see stats that look a hell of a lot better than mine in the same amount of time. People are really LOSING some weight and I don't understand why I'm not. It's super discouraging at this point especially when I'm hungry all the time. I can totally relate to the "will this surgery work for me fear".

I will admit that I haven't been able to keep my Protein shake down so I stopped trying to drink them. I was allowed to drink Protein Day 10 from surgery date. I get really nauseated on my milk based whey protein and end up throwing it up. The ISOPUKE is disgusting and I can barely take a few sips. According to my diet plan I'm on liquids until Day 22 which is next week. At that point I hope to get in my protein from foods. I'm also going to GNC or the Vitamin Store to try to find some unflavored protein. I've mentioned in previous posts I've been really trying to get enough Water down. I'd say I'm probably drinking 40oz of Water and maybe 20 oz of Cranberry or Ruby Red Grapefruit juce. I made the Ricotta back last night and did take a few small bites (had no stomach issues) of that because I"m HUNGRY 99.9% of the time. I also blended a bowl of Progresso Soup and had 1/2 cup servings for about a day (only did this for one day though). Other than that ... all I have is water and juice.

Maybe my body is in starvation mode and holding on to all the weight? I don't know what to do. I'm very discouraged at this point and really trying to keep hope alive. I feel like ... damn I did all this and I'm HUNGRY plus STILL not losing weight. The story of my life. :( When exactly is the "best losing period" that everyone speaks of? I'm scared that I'm already off to a slow start.

Just needed to vent ... break out the violins ...

your not off to a slow start, it takes time to heal. I lost 10 pounds the first month. Allow your self time to get used to what happened to your body and you will be fine. Also most of us were hungry until we started having real food. They say 6 months to a year for the fastest but my doctor said most people continue to lose for up 2 years.

Good luck and feel better : ) Janine

Hey Sunny... I think you are doing really well... comparing yourself to others isn't fun is it? Try not to... although, that being said it is hard not to!!

Remeber you are still in 'recovery' from a major operation... your tiny new tummy needs time to adjust as does the rest of your body. Be kind to yourself and praise the pounds you have lareday lost forever! Concentrate on the Fluid, as this is really important, not just now but forever!! I drank a range of juices, to vary the flavour when in the liquid phase. i didn't worry about Protein until I started to 'eat'!!

The Protein drinks are a bonus, if you can tolerate them... have you tried adding them to coffee, of smoothies... I know a few on this site have done that to get the Protein in.

Try to relax, let your body heal, and I promise you that when you progress your hunger will fade and you will see the scales move again.

Good luck.... keep us updated on your progress.. =]

No comparing weighloss SUCKS lol I know I shouldn't but as you know much easier said than done. I'm going to find some Protein powder or shots or something that I can mix in Water or juice. Unfortunately I don't like smoothies or Yogurt so I can't mix it in items like that. I tried ff cottage cheese and took a few spoon fulls and didn't want anymore. I've read that people become lactose intolerant after this surgery ... I'm not sure if that's me now or if I need to wait and try again?

I actually feel so good that often times I don't believe I had surgery only 2 weeks ago. So I guess. I have to slow my mind down to give my stomach time to heal completely.

I found myself STARVING all of the time after surgery too!! I was so discouraged and thought, WTH??? I wanted so badly for that to go away, but it didn't.

Are you taking a PPI?? I was taking Nexium and heard others talking about how much better Prilosec worked for them. I bought some Prilosec OTC at Walmart and tried it for 14 days. In about 7, I noticed a HUGE difference in how hungry I was. It was like someone flipped a switch in my belly! I was so happy!!

I got my PCP to write a script and now I take it twice a day. I still get hungry, but not all damn day!!

If you are not on something, make sure to tell your Dr. that you need to be. It will help. Also, don't be too hard on yourself about the loss, it will happen. YOu have to give your body a chance to heal and once you start eating, you will lose. Those liquid calories are not nice!!

Kelly ;)

Its way too soon to count! Some folks carried the Fluid from IV for a couple of weeks after surgery. A lot of people lose a chunk of weight in the 2 weeks after surgery and then stop losing weight altogether for a couple weeks after that.

Step away from the scale for a few days :-)

Get your fluids in and do te best you can - the weight will come off.

Good luck

I feel like I am losing slower too - I am 3 weeks out and down 16 lbs - I see people who seem to be losing 2 lbs a day - I bounce between 1/2 to 1.5 lbs a day and had one day where I went up .2. No way without the surgery would I have lost this. So I am happy. I have a touch of the lactose intolerance - seems to just be with milk, I can tolerate cheese. I bought the light soymilk, unflavored as I thought the vanilla was too sweet for me and still I am only able to do a shake every few days - they are so sweet and it takes me hours to get them down - working hard to drink it without tasting it. I did like unflavored with diet hot chocolate but the bad thing about unflavored is just not much Protein which is disappointing. I am on food now - thankfully I'm not hungry but it can be alot of work to take the time to eat - not being able to drink around it and all. A meal for me is 2 TBSP of tuna salad or a cheese stick. Not much Protein in them. I did split pea Soup and that was good. My daughters friends parents own a Chinese restaurant and her mom brought me a huge container of egg drop soup tonight - yum, I know whats for dinner!!

Definitely don't compare - think of what you would have lost if you were doing this without the sleeve - I know I wouldn't have lost as much as I have!!!

You might see if you can tolerate the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth Protein powder. You might have an easier time with warm liquids, and the salty can make a soothing change of pace. I think you'll feel much better once you can start getting your Protein in (and you'll help your body lose fat instead of muscle), but at this point getting the liquids in is your top priority. Your stomach may just still be really swollen, and if you're not keeping something down, don't push it - that can make things worse. Back off, and give it a try again later. Honestly, you're not going to be able to eat enough volume to get the protein you need from food for quite some time. You'll be so much better off if you can find a supplement you can tolerate.

Hang in there, those first weeks are really tough! I think you're doing great - don't forget the first few weeks you have to drop all that Water weight from the surgery! I get discouraged too when I read posts from people who are losing SO much faster than I am. But at 9 weeks out I'm losing steadily, and it really does begin to add up. I may not get to goal as quickly as I'd like (heck - I'd like to be there tomorrow!), but I WILL get there, and so will you!

The nectar unflavored Protein has 20 grams in 2 scoops. I do about 8 oz of warm milk, hershey's sugar-free choc Syrup and 2 scoops protein and it's close to 30 grams including the milk. It's not great but not horrible either. I can also tolerate the unflavored protein in Decaf coffee with some milk and splenda.

I can relate. I was sleeved on August 12, and my weight loss came to a standstill a little over a week ago. I also can't get my Protein down. Today I vomited the strawberry flavored unjury mixed with skim milk. Other Protein drinks make me sick, too (ESPECIALLY Isopure).

I wish there were an easier way to get protein that doesn't involve me getting nauseous and close to vomiting.

No comparing weighloss SUCKS lol I know I shouldn't but as you know much easier said than done. I'm going to find some Protein powder or shots or something that I can mix in Water or juice. Unfortunately I don't like smoothies or Yogurt so I can't mix it in items like that. I tried ff cottage cheese and took a few spoon fulls and didn't want anymore. I've read that people become lactose intolerant after this surgery ... I'm not sure if that's me now or if I need to wait and try again?

I actually feel so good that often times I don't believe I had surgery only 2 weeks ago. So I guess. I have to slow my mind down to give my stomach time to heal completely.

Hi Sonny, according to my doctor, any kinds of juices are off the menu. any liquids that you are taking in need to be high Protein and low calories and carbs and all those juices are the opposite, high calorie, very high carb and no protein. I would get off of any juice and what i've started doing is mixing the Isopure with very little Water that way i don't feel like i'm drinking this crap all day and i can instead get it down in 20-30 minutes. Well, just my two cents :unsure:

According to the paperwork I got from my Dr. I can drink all types of juices. Not saying that I should just saying according to my directions I can. Prior to my surgery I drank the green Isopure it wasn't the best but I could drink it. Now after I'm trying to drink the red one & I can't get it down.

I appreciate all of the great advice. I'm going to do my best to use myfitnesspal to track what I have and cut back on the juice plus find a Protein that works for me. I KNOW its gonna get greater later. lol

I have read your other post about milk based whey protien not sitting well, I have two thoughts here. One is have you tried lactaid? Perhaps taking it in advance will help if it is a milk issue.

The other is perhaps adding some fresh frozen berries in a blender to your shakes and or maybe a banana will make them more appealing and palatable?

Also,, I tried a lot of mix your own whey protien products, I found them well yuck and gritty. Then I tried pre made Premier Protein shakes from costco ( you can also buy them on Amazon) and I found them to be just like drinking chocolate milk! The are actually good! Sometimes they can be a little thick and then I put them in the bullet blender with a little Water and some frozen berries and whoa,,, what a treat!

I also found pre made pure Protein chocolate and banana flavors a close second to the premier shakes.

Another idea is adding some powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored protien powder to various things like cottage cheese, yogurt, Jello. ( you just can not add to anything over 130 degrees or it clumps).

Another option is protien shots,, Now I will tell you they are HORRIBLE, BUT you get 45 grams of protein in just two ounces so if you prepare mentally, turn off the nose and down it really fast you now have 45 grams of your precious protien! I thought of it like a shot of booze, did not taste good but if you downed it as a shot as intended, you get what you need:)

Also if you go to GNC and buy a mix and don't like it, they will take it back! Here is a hint,, go the first 8 days of month during their savers card days and they will sell you the saver card for like 4 dollars instead of 15. You may have to negotiate a bit but they will do it and you save like 20 percent the first 8 days of every month on anything in the store plus you get special offers.

Thanks for the ideas Myrori!! A few other people suggested premade Protein & I think I will give them a try. Once I find "my thing" I will get more than enough Protein in a day.

I also notice that a lot of people say they're buying things from costco. I used to have a membership at Sams I don't think I've ever been inside of costco. I wonder do they have the same items?

Thanks for the ideas Myrori!! A few other people suggested premade Protein & I think I will give them a try. Once I find "my thing" I will get more than enough Protein in a day.

I also notice that a lot of people say they're buying things from costco. I used to have a membership at Sams I don't think I've ever been inside of costco. I wonder do they have the same items?

Sams does not carry the shakes. Also costco has great deals on Vitamins and mega red krill oil! and they have a coupon book each month that you get additional discounts on things. Vitamins and sometimes the shake are in there.