Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much should I be eating

So this weekend I was able to eat for the first time since I had surgery 5 weeks ago. I'm kind of concerned because I ate alot, I didn't feel full and didn't know when to stop. I measured my food today and I think I still ate more than I should of because my sleeve is still healing and all that but my question is how will I know when I've had enough and at 5 weeks how much should I reallybe eating at each meal? My dr office isn't much help they never call back I don't even know if what I ate for Breakfast is ok. I had a egg and some hashbrowns., what do you all think is hashbrowns a bad idea? I still have my tube in as well so there's some foods I just don't dare to eat I feel they will not go down and get stuck.

Do you have calorie/protein/carb guidelines?

Measured portions, specifically 2-4oz should be your target meal size. That's by volume for the most part, you could do probably 6oz yogurt and other super soft/liquidy type foods.

Personally, I would not be eating hashbrowns or any type of white carb during the losing stage, but that's just how I chose to lose weight.

You might not get a full signal until it's too late, then you'll be puking or hurting.

I didn't get a "full signal" for months post-op so measuring was my key to not overeating.

I was prescribed 600-800 calories, 60+gr of Protein and no more than 30-40gr of carbs per day.

Measuring foods gives you a few things;

1) Staying within a set dietary guideline

2) Won't leave you hurting or puking

3) Will teach you to undereat your sleeve

Eating until full or stuffed helped get me fat. I was specifically told to undereat my sleeve, to measure, and to stop looking for that full signal because if you constantly overeat it is not changing any of the habits that led to us having surgery.

I hiccup when my sleeve is full. If my sleeve is hungry my nose runs. I know it's weird but that's how my body chooses to inform me. Listen to your tell?? It took me a week of smooshy foods to figure it out.

At this stage, I would say 1/4 c. that is what I ate at that stage. Then about 12 weeks you should move up to 1/2 c.

Eat as little as you can, for as long as you can! I truely under eat my sleeve at this point.

And who is your dr. that he is not educating his patients on how to eat after surgery?/??? GEESH!

Kelly :rolleyes:

Would just like to add to chew your food real well; small bites and chew 30 times before swallowing. Also beware of the slider foods that tend to move right through the sleeve; anything with gravy or other sauces, mashed potatoes, etc. There are a lot of other good posts that talk about the sliders. Good luck.

So I found out 800 calories is what I should be eating. I need to go buy something to weigh my food. I am eating what I have in the house because I am embaressed to leave the house with this tube hanging out of my nose. That's kind of why I'm eating potatos and such but a few more days and I'll be on my way to losing this weight. I'm going to just try eggs in the morning and see how I feel. Thank you all for your help.

So I found out 800 calories is what I should be eating. I need to go buy something to weigh my food. I am eating what I have in the house because I am embaressed to leave the house with this tube hanging out of my nose. That's kind of why I'm eating potatos and such but a few more days and I'll be on my way to losing this weight. I'm going to just try eggs in the morning and see how I feel. Thank you all for your help.

Measure your food by volume with measuring cups. Your stomach is not going to recognize weighted foods right now. It's going to fill up based on space available and not the actual weight of the food.

I can eat over 1/4C at 5 weeks post op....easily. 1/2C seems to be my comfortable spot unless it's something really dense like grilled chicken or beef. Then it's less. I average about 600 calories a day, but I can get more if I eat less healthy. Read: eat out. I'm at 400+ calories today and we're going out for dinner, so it'll probably end up being more like 800 today.

I range between 600-800 calories, 30-40 carbs, 70+ gms Protein. I'm 11 weeks out and can eat only a few oz of chicken or beef, but can eat 4 oz of other foods, such as yogurt. I can eat one light cheese stick and be full. I have to restrain myself with liquids...liquids come back up after 5 oz if I don't pace myself.