Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

47 YEARS OLD AND SLEEVE SURGERY ON 8/23/11

After being 265 pounds for 14 years, I finally lostg 100 pounds with Weight Watchers in 2008. By June 2011 I was back to 225 pounds. That's when I absolutely knew that surgery was right for me. The VSG was the best fit for me and I am now 5 days post op. I haven't stepped on the scale since the surgery, but the pre-op diet got me down to 206 on the day of surgery. My surgean repaired a hiatal hernia during the sleeve operation. Since I was a self pay (no insurance) my surgeon chose outpatient surgery center and I was home within 25 hours of surgery. I had pain accross my upper back and, of course, all sorts of stomach pain, gas, etc. After talking to my doctor, I realized I wasn't taking the full dose of liquid Lortab. I did finally get some relief. Day 5 and still no bowel movement, still have LOTS of gas, each day is better than the last, but overall more painful than I thought it would be.

Lortab can stop you up. Check with your Dr but they gave me stool softners in the hospital, like Colace.

Are you walking around? I had to walk a lot to get rid of the gas! I'm 47 as well and I found SIP SIP SIP makes you feel better too. Get your FLUIDS IN!! I also made my own Soups with fresh veggies and that helped keep me REGULAR!! LOL

You will LOVE YOUR NEW SLEEVE!!! Welcome aboard!!!

Welcome!!!!!

Deb

Thanks for all the feedback....since I started this board thing (haha) I feel lots better! Feel free to give me tips on communicating easier, also. So I have the settings correct?

I think I'm walking enough. I have taken my two dogs (Roxy & Beegee) around the block yesterday and today. Before that I would just pace the house.

Are you walking around? I had to walk a lot to get rid of the gas! I'm 47 as well and I found SIP SIP SIP makes you feel better too. Get your FLUIDS IN!! I also made my own Soups with fresh veggies and that helped keep me REGULAR!! LOL

You will LOVE YOUR NEW SLEEVE!!! Welcome aboard!!!

I have questions about the meds I can take, like the PPI. I'm not taking anything right now (well except pain med, lortab). I guess I will get what I need tomorrow, but I am anxios to start the PPI because I have read that is so important to healing.

Lortab can stop you up. Check with your Dr but they gave me stool softners in the hospital, like Colace.

My doctor did give me Nexium in case I needed it. I think I took them for a couple of days but that was it.

Congrats on being sleeved!!!! :)

You should have great success with the sleeve. I am 54 and am six months post surgery, and I love my sleeve. My doc had me start Famotidene (pepcid) as soon as I got home. I also started prilosec at about 6 weeks after surgery - when I started real food (after the mushiies stage). I didn't take any pain meds once I left the hospital (after a 1 night stay.) The doc gave me some, but I don't like pain meds. I found that a heating pad and wearing an abdominal support belt 24 hours a day helped me immensely on the discomfort. I wanted to get the pain medicine and the anasthesia out of my system as quickly as possible - and one of the reasons is I don't like how they slow down the functioning of my intestines.

Good luck with your sleeve. This forum has been a great source of support for me during this process.