Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

struggling with protein AND fluids

I am almost a week out from surgery. I am really struggling to get in enough fluids. I just can't drink enough at one time... even sipping all the time... to get it all in. I am mostly worried about getting in my Protein. I have so few choices this early into being sleeved and I just can't choke down the Protein Shakes. Again I try to take as much as possible but it is minimal. I hate the taste and that makes it so hard to just sip. I am scared of the consequences of not getting in my protein. I know it hasn't been long since my procedure but is this going to get easier? I have lost weight so fast and that is great but I really haven't eaten or drank much of anything for a week now. I am worried about becoming dehydrated. I am trying to drink milk for Calcium, protein and Fluid. Any suggestions on how to make this easier on myself? Does anyone know of any Protein Drinks that are really yummy? I have tried several and so far no real luck :(

hi! I'M 5 WEEKS OUT! it's normal you can't drink or eat anything after just one week. after a month it will get better, you'll see. don't worry about Proteins for now, drink as you can and be strong. things will get better.

I am almost a week out from surgery. I am really struggling to get in enough fluids. I just can't drink enough at one time... even sipping all the time... to get it all in. I am mostly worried about getting in my Protein. I have so few choices this early into being sleeved and I just can't choke down the Protein Shakes. Again I try to take as much as possible but it is minimal. I hate the taste and that makes it so hard to just sip. I am scared of the consequences of not getting in my protein. I know it hasn't been long since my procedure but is this going to get easier? I have lost weight so fast and that is great but I really haven't eaten or drank much of anything for a week now. I am worried about becoming dehydrated. I am trying to drink milk for Calcium, protein and Fluid. Any suggestions on how to make this easier on myself? Does anyone know of any protein drinks that are really yummy? I have tried several and so far no real luck :(

I'm 2 weeks out yesterday - I can tolerate very little Protein, I was told yesterday I need to start getting it. The first few weeks your fluids are so much more important! I have found that Beneprotein mixes well in hot cooca if you can have that. It is only 7 grams a packet but it is something!! If you can handle the sodium try the Unjury chicken Soup one - mix with Water, it is pretty chicken-y. But above all get your fluids in! My Proteins counted toward them.

I'm 4 months out and have found Bariatric Advantage Meal Replacement Protein mix is pretty good with Water or skim milk. With water it is 27gm of protein and skim milk, 35gms. Puts a good chuck of protein and 8 ounces of Fluid right off the top. I'm using this as my Breakfast and lasts me all morning. I too have issues getting all the fluids, but the "Nutritionists" say do the best you can. Using sugar free Jello initially helped with the Proteins, and they were then more concerned with fluid intake.

GNC Vitamin shop has a unflavored Protein Powder that you could put into chix or beef broth, or some kinda Soup to up the Protein and also help with Fluid content. Just make sure that the soup or broth is not boiling hot when you add the powder or it has a tendency to clump up! I used a wisk to sir mine up. Hope things get better for you. It just takes some time to figure out how everything works is all.

I was in your same boat. It took forever for me to reach my Water and Protein goals, and honestly, a lot of times, I still don't. But I keep trying. Just do what you can when you can. Keep Water to hand and sip. Be sure you're taking the meds your doc prescribed--if you don't have an antacid, might be a good time to talk to your doc about one. Sip like crazy and just keep at it. Seriously. It takes a while for some folks (and I am one) to have the swelling go down and be able to tolerate more than a couple of sips at a time.

Hang in there. You're not going to do yourself any permanent damage if you keep trying to hydrate and aren't throwing up--just do what you can, and your body will heal and you'll be able to tolerate more with time. Just focus on hydration and let your swelling go down.

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice! I am really working hard to make it all happen. It is overwhelming though! I am not vomiting at all. Mostly I feel very weak. And of course I am not gaining energy from day to day so I seem to be heading in the wrong direction. Yesterday I was really shaky. This morning not shaky but still just not quite right. I am working on a Protein Shake right now. My husband is determined to make me get in the Protein. He hates that I am losing so much weight (15lbs! And today is 1 week out) and that I am not really enjoying it because I am wiped out. No matter how hard he tries to get me to get in all the protein it just isn't working :( I appreciate him trying but I just can't get it in. It is such a slow process and he doesn't really get that I can't drink fast. No more chugging! I know it will get better. Slowly but surely :) For now I will just keep at it the best I can!

Hi hospital buddy! If you live on the north side of Indy BJ's Bariatrics is in the Mohawk shopping center off Rangeline - I went in there and got a bunch of the different single-serving pouches of the Syntrax nectar Protein. I've been doing the Roadside Lemonade with about 6 oz crystal light lemonade and about 4 oz Water, and pouring over ice. I've blended it with my immersion blender (before adding the ice) and it's tolerable. I can usually choke it down during my 25-minute drive to work.

Another thing I bought was nectar unflavored Protein, and I've been doing 2 scoops (20 grams) with sugar-free hot chocolate mix, about 4-6 oz 1% milk and that's pretty OK too.

Also, I went to the support group last night and while the yellow sheet for weeks 1-4 say baby food purees (veg and fruit), I confirmed with the nutritionist at the meeting that we can puree our own fruit and veg too, it doesn't have to be jarred baby food. I bought some bananas tonight and I'm going to try to make a protein smoothie with vanilla greek yogurt, banana, milk and maybe some hershey sugar-free Syrup.< /p>

You can have string cheese right now too, I've been eating 2-3 sticks a day and they have 7 grams protein each (if they are the 1-oz sticks).

Hi hospital buddy! If you live on the north side of Indy BJ's Bariatrics is in the Mohawk shopping center off Rangeline - I went in there and got a bunch of the different single-serving pouches of the Syntrax nectar Protein. I've been doing the Roadside Lemonade with about 6 oz crystal light lemonade and about 4 oz Water, and pouring over ice. I've blended it with my immersion blender (before adding the ice) and it's tolerable. I can usually choke it down during my 25-minute drive to work.

Another thing I bought was nectar unflavored Protein, and I've been doing 2 scoops (20 grams) with sugar-free hot chocolate mix, about 4-6 oz 1% milk and that's pretty OK too.

Also, I went to the support group last night and while the yellow sheet for weeks 1-4 say baby food purees (veg and fruit), I confirmed with the nutritionist at the meeting that we can puree our own fruit and veg too, it doesn't have to be jarred baby food. I bought some bananas tonight and I'm going to try to make a protein smoothie with vanilla greek yogurt, banana, milk and maybe some hershey sugar-free Syrup.< /p>

You can have string cheese right now too, I've been eating 2-3 sticks a day and they have 7 grams protein each (if they are the 1-oz sticks).

Hi there :) Thanks for the advice! I will try out BJ's Bariatrics. I went to the Vitamin Shoppe the other day and loaded up on things that I thought sounded good only to get home and find out they were nasty! Nothing really tastes good to me right now. I have this feeling of being not hungry but empty. But nothing really tastes good. I have done well losing weight but I feel it is because I really have had no food for over a week now. I am even struggling with choking down the flintstones Vitamins. This first week has been a little rough in that respect! I try to drink a lot of milk... at least I get a little protein from that. I was wondering about string cheese! I know our list says soft cheeses are ok... but then I wasn't really sure what qualified as a soft cheese so I just stayed away from cheese. I have been so nervous about eating anything that could cause damage to my sleeve! Right now I am mostly milk, Water, crystal light, Jello and yogurt. I did eat some very smooth and soupy mashed potatoes the other night. That is pretty much it. What are you eating? I tried oatmeal but it just didn't taste good at all :( I try to get down some Protein shake in the morning but honestly it is so hard for me to force it down. I sure hope when I get to weeks 4-8 having more protein choices will make it easier!

I couldn't do oatmeal either. I'm having some sort of cheese at almost every meal - string cheese, babybel, 2% sliced sharp cheddar, even laughing cow light wedges! I'm getting a little sick of cheese but my sleeve is tolerant of it so it helps with the Protein. I'm also doing applesauce, cottage cheese, yogurt, refried Beans, and smushed peaches.

Hang in there, I'm starting week 3 and it's not too bad. I am counting the days to when I can have chicken and tuna salad!!