Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved August 8th

I jumped through all the hoops quickly to get sleeved. Started in April and was sleeved 8/8/11. Spent 2 days in the hospital in horrible pain. I actually thought I was having a heart attack. Day 3 the pain subsided some. I went home on day 3. Days 4-8 were kind of a blurr. Pain meds every 4 hours kept me sleeping a lot. Days 9-12 I was feeling much better. Started putting Vitamins in no sugar added applesauce so I could get some nutrition. Days 13-15 started adding Soups, greek yogurt, soft scrambled eggs, salsa, pureed chicken, mashed potatos and soft finely shredded cheese. According to my doc's rules, I was to start pureed foods on Day 6. So I thought I was doing great as far as eating.

Then I read what others are eating. Some people who are 15 days out like me are only eating 200-400 calories per day. Say what? In the past few days I have eaten on average 900 calories per day. I am getting over 70 grams of Protein per day too.

Am I eating too much? Is this why I have stalled for over a week? I'm really discouraged with my progress. What do I need to do to get the scale moving again?:unsure: Is it crazy that I'm able to eat this much? :blink: Did the sleeve fail for me? I was actually able to eat KFC today. I had a grilled chicken leg and a side of mashed potatoes and gravy. I admit, I was a little over full after that but I wasn't stuffed like I used to get before surgery.

I'm feeling very discouraged because I see people on here losing all this weight in like month one or month two. It's not happening like that for me and I'm able to eat far more than anyone else. Maybe I need to attend a support group meeting.

are you sure you are eating that much? have you been weighing or measuring? Do you track anywhere? and above all what are your nutritionist requirements? Mine is no more than 1/4 cup but no calorie requirement. I can have 3 meals - this just started today for me. ps I would so give for some easy drinking and eating right now!! :lol:

I was on thin liquids at two weeks out, so my calories were limited by the few options there are for that stage. That said, I don't eat 900 calories today and i am 7 months out. I eat 600-800 calories a day, Protein first, and usually I'm around 700 by bedtime. I do not think your stomach is healed yet and it probably is not sending you "full" signals. I encourage you to measure your food, 1/3 to 1/2 cup per serving, and then stop if you have finished your measured portion. Part of your plateau is probably due to your body readjusting to an initial drop in Water and glycogen stores but yes, I also think you are eating too much.

I was also sleeved on August 8th. I am eating around 400-500 calories per day. I feel good, have energy, but have been stalled too since day 8. I think that I became so dehydrated that first week that the scaled showed low, and once I was able to start getting in plenty of fluids the scale didn't reflect the fact that I was swapping fat for liquids. I'm just going to hang tight and be patient. It will start coming off for us! Just take the time to revel in the fact that we are no longer so sore, swollen and dehydrated. I am happy to just start feeling back to normal.

Hi Wondering1-

I was also able to eat a larger amount of calories than others post-op. I remember being really concerned that the surgery had failed, that I was overdoing it, etc. On my doctors plan I was on a liquid diet the first two weeks and then could incorporate soft meats and foods starting week 3. On my plan, a grilled leg and mashed potatoes would have been allowed at day 15 as well.

What I learned is that some us don't deal with as much swelling as others and therefore can eat more and some of us have longer stomachs which equal longer sleeves and the ability to eat slightly more (especially if you are tall). Of course, the bougie size can vary as well. I feel I have had great success and I have eaten from 800-1200 calories a day since the third week post-op.Of course those are generally "quality" calories and Protein dense foods. I would encourage you to follow all of your doctor's orders and when eating take your time, eat small quanities and really try to find that sense of "satisfied" rather than full. But, also know that there isn't anything wrong with you or your sleeve just because you appear able to consume more calories. I think you will also find that it is more difficult to consume a lot when you eat more dense foods like meats.< /p>

You're doing great!

Amanda

PS I lost 14 the first three days and then didn't lose another pound until day 25. It's probably the dreaded three week stall that we all had to deal with. Just keep doing what you are supposed to and it will all work out. Promise. :)

I also track my food on mucky my fitness pal . My dr. Sent me home on mushy so at first I was getting 400-500 after a couple of weeks it increased to 700-800 now it vary depending on what I eat. I just try to stay under 800... You can find me on my fitness pal under this name if your looking for buddies

I don't know where that word mucky can from lol

ok I thought you were on myfitnesspal.com but your name must be different there? lol I looked at my friends before I asked!! I swear! :lol:

I feel I have had great success and I have eaten from 800-1200 calories a day since the third week post-op.Of course those are generally "quality" calories and Protein dense foods.

^^^ Me too. I was up to 800 fairly quickly and am always now between 1000-1200 a day, except for the odd occasion when I'm under that or over that, but those are rare.

I think ideally it would be best to be losing at the highest calories you can be just because it is what your body needs. I lost well on weight watchers around 1200 calories as long as I stuck to that.

Swizzly,

Are you still losing eating that much?

I think so! :lol: I've been stalled for a few weeks, but I don't think it's calorie-related, as nothing really changed in that department. I think it's just a plateau. But yeah, I've lost 64-ish lb in six months, which may not be the fastest on record, but it works for me. :) (I have also have personal ED history with very low cal, so I have sub-1000 triggers that I need to stay away from when possible.)

I was sleeved the same day as you too. I lost the Fluid they pumped in me in a week and was down 21 pounds counting the preop diet. then in week 3, the dreaded KIDNEY STONE happened. A week in the hospital so I skipped my pureed week. I was pumped full of fluids to try to get the kidney stone out and when I was discharged, after surgery on my kidney, I was back up over my highest weight! Talk about discouraging! So far this week I have lost most of the Fluid weight again but I am not as small as I was at my two week checkup. I started out at 234 and 50% body fat. Two week checkup I was 216 and 48% body fat. Yesterday at the follow up visit, I was 217 but HOLY MOLY 41% body fat! I am loosing fat under this fluid. Anyways, my point is that even when the scale isnt showing it, we are loosing fat! It will catch up!

Now for the eating part.... I started soft foods on Monday. I can barely hold 1/4 cup. I dont know how in the world people are eating that much and not puking. I am having a hard time getting my fluids in too. I had to up my meals to 4 1/4 cup Protein meals. I can tolerate everything I have eaten so far and its been great to eat again, but I am only getting about 300 calories a day. I wish I could eat as much as you are! Maybe I have a small sleeve or Its just swollen more. I have been through a lot in the last three weeks so I guess I just need time to heal. This just shows that everyone is different and it can be Water retention or your body not wanting to let go of the fluid just yet, etc. I think if we are patient, the weight will come off. Good luck and keep my posted!

Update: as of today I've lost 30 pounds!! I'm really happy about it. I still eat a lot but I hardly ever go over 1000 calories. I might not be losing super fast, but HEY, I'm LOSING!

I love this sleeve :rolleyes: