Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much should I be eating?

I am almost 6 weeks out and have been careful to under eat my sleeve, although I frequently have tummy aches after i eat. I have read lots of posts from people on measuring stuff. How much should I be measuring. An example for today breakfast I ate 2 oz sugar free pudding, lunch i had 4 slices of very very thin deli ham with cream cheese in the middle. Couldn't eat it all. dinner I had 2 oz of salmon patty, very dense and couldn't eat it all. Tummy hurt. Am I eating to much? My weight loss has been good. 30 lbs in 5 weeks. How much are others eating at this point? Thanks for your help. Cathi

I am only starting my fourth week post-opt, but my stomach doesn't hurt after eating. I did try a piece of toast dipped in milk - THAT was a nightmare. You sure aren't eating too much that I can see, seems really good. Are you taking Prevacid and GasX? Might just be gas trapped by the food.< /p>

I am almost 6 weeks out and have been careful to under eat my sleeve, although I frequently have tummy aches after i eat. I have read lots of posts from people on measuring stuff. How much should I be measuring. An example for today Breakfast I ate 2 oz sugar free pudding, lunch i had 4 slices of very very thin deli ham with cream cheese in the middle. Couldn't eat it all. dinner I had 2 oz of salmon patty, very dense and couldn't eat it all. Tummy hurt. Am I eating to much? My weight loss has been good. 30 lbs in 5 weeks. How much are others eating at this point? Thanks for your help. Cathi

Cathi, are you getting 60 gms of Protein a day? I think you could find a better choice for breakfast than sugar-free pudding...maybe cottage cheese or greek yogurt? If your tummy hurts after you eat, slow down and/or eat less. At a month out I ate six tiny meals a day in order to get all the protein in. A turkey slice here, a couple of shrimp there, some Wendy's chili. Salmon is very dense, maybe try tilapia instead.

Hi Foxbins,

I usually have one of those carnation instant sf breakfast for breakfast. Not sure why I had the pudding, may have been out of milk! So if my amounts are ok I am wondering if I am eating to fast. How long should it take me to eat the ounce or so of whatever I am eating? I am trying to chew 30 times. I remember Dr. Aceves saying cut things into dime size bites, but don't remember how long a meal should take to finish. Thanks for your feedback. Cathi

Hey Cathi! I remember him saying fingernail size pieces and put the fork down between bites. He told me "cut a piece, put it in your mouth, put your fork down, chew chew chew, swallow, talk to your friend, put another bite in your mouth.

I thought it was funny that he assumed I would have someone to talk to outside of a two-year old! Hope this helps?

Hi Hdub,

I've been following you on the Mexico board. How are you doing? Isn't Dr. A awesome? Its weird but I miss them all LOL I was so nervous during his talk all I remember is his saying you can make good food choices or bad food choices and to cut things in what I thought were dime sizes, but maybe it was finger nail!!! I wrote him today to get some specifics about how long a "meal" should last. Cathi

Just going to warn you....if you are not eating enough Protein your hair can fall out and you can hit stalls....learned that the hard way....and read it here on board from different people over and over.....make sure you are getting the protein 50-70 a day is what most people say. Good luck.....so far so good!

I was told to use the 30-30-30 rule. 30 minutes before the meal, stop drinking Water. The meal should last for 30 minutes. Then start drinking Water 30 minutes after the meal. That's been working well for me.

You should be getting 60+ grams of Protein a day plus at least 48 (preferably 64+) ounces of water a day. Depending on the food, it could measure out a bit differently. I'm now up to 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and usually 3 ounces of meat (chicken, fish or beef) and be filled up. If it's a super brothy Soup (not much substance) then I can actually manage about 1 cup. If there's substance to the Soup though, about 1/2 cup.

Cathi - I am about 6.5 weeks out and i can handle about 4 oz at a time, denser Proteins like chicken or beef maybe a little less. You don't seem to be eating as much as suggested and I can't imagine you are getting in enough Protein. It will hurt at first to do the 4 oz (or recommended amount by your surgeon) but try to get in good protein rich foods first, greek yogurt tuna chicken etc. Hope you find a comfy level for your sleeve!

Hi Hdub,

I've been following you on the Mexico board. How are you doing? Isn't Dr. A awesome? Its weird but I miss them all LOL I was so nervous during his talk all I remember is his saying you can make good food choices or bad food choices and to cut things in what I thought were dime sizes, but maybe it was finger nail!!! I wrote him today to get some specifics about how long a "meal" should last. Cathi

Hey! I am doing as well as can be expected. LOL! Every day I feel a little better in the soreness department and a little worse in the fatigue area. I started back to work yesterday (and boy did they miss me!). Thankfully I have a mostly desk job so it isn't so terrible.

You are SO right about the talk on good food choices. He probably said that 5 times. "It is a tool and you have to make good choices. It will only get you halway there." I remembered him saying that one day you may be able to eat a quarter of a cup of something and the next day you can eat a half a cup of the same thing but the day after that you could only eat two bites. He said it happens so please don't let it freak you out. Listen to when you are full. LOL!

They are all so amazing. I sent Gaby an email today asking for Ernesto's email address. He gave it to me, but I can't find where I put it. Everyone there was so sweet and I kinda miss it. I know it is crazy to miss a hospital, but it was really great to be pampered - even if it is after having your stomach cut out!

You should measure all your food and measure with measuring cups not a scale!!! We want volume not weight!! That is what your stomach will hold is volume.

How ever much your plan says you should be eating at the stage you are on is what you should measure. Probably 1/2 c., so measure that out and take 20 minutes to eat it. If you can not finish it in 20 minutes then throw it away!

Your stomach is probably gassy or you are eating too fast!!. Get some gas x or bean-o. Try that and if it doesn't help, tell your dr.

kelly ;)

I'm curious -- why do you choose Instant Breakfast, which has high sugar & low Protein, instead of some of the other powdered Protein Shake supplements that are out there (that are the other way around)?

Hi Foxbins,

I usually have one of those carnation instant sf breakfast for breakfast. Not sure why I had the pudding, may have been out of milk! So if my amounts are ok I am wondering if I am eating to fast. How long should it take me to eat the ounce or so of whatever I am eating? I am trying to chew 30 times. I remember Dr. Aceves saying cut things into dime size bites, but don't remember how long a meal should take to finish. Thanks for your feedback. Cathi

I'm curious -- why do you choose Instant Breakfast, which has high sugar & low Protein, instead of some of the other powdered Protein Shake supplements that are out there (that are the other way around)?

Hi Purple Lady,

I drink the sugar free instant breakfast. I just can't stand the taste of the real Protein Drinks. I am trying to get most of my protein from food. They have 12 grams of protein plus the milk. I have never been a breakfast eater so thought this would be better then nothing. Cathi