Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NUT told me to eat tons of carbs...say what?!

So I had an appointment with my nutritionist today for my 3 month check-in. It has been 6 weeks since I saw her, so I was eating a lot differently that last time we met... Since then, I've been eating more normally and adopted a lot of the "typical" rules we all share here - keeping carbs low, Protein over 60 grams, etc.

When I told her I was eating between 500-700 calories a day and trying to keep carbs under 40 grams, her eyes bugged out! She said that was way too low, "almost like Atkins!" Um, isn't low carb typical after wls?? She specifically works with bariatric patients at a top notch program, so I don't know why it was so shocking to her. Anyway, she told me to try to increase calories to 800-900, get at least 60 grams of Protein, and that I should get 80-100 grams of carbs per day.

WHAAAAAAA? :blink:

She was adamant that that's how much it takes to maintain brain and physical function, especially after adding an exercise routine. Has anyone else had a NUT tell them this?? I don't know how on earth I'd be able to eat enough food to get in 60+ protein AND THAT. Anyone???

Wow! That does seem like a lot! I don't know but I'm really curious as to what others have to say about this.

Yes, my NUT recommends the same after the first month. For the first 4 weeks I was told less than 50gms of carbs, after week 4 we are told to up the carbs to 50 -100 gms a day, especially if you are working out on a regular basis. Maintenance phase moves you to 100-150 gms of carbs a day. Everything your NUT told you is true. The biggest difference is the type of carbs we should be eatting. It should be from complex carb sources, not quick burning carbs such as white flour products. Veggies and whole grains are the best sources of complex carbs.

Nope, and I rarely ate that many carbs in maintenance, and only force myself to eat that many because I'm pregnant.

Fat burned turns to energy, and the liver breaks it down properly.

I know, I know every person is different, we all lose at different rates, but there is NO way even if I wanted to do so, I could NOT eat that much food, and well wouldn't do it because I know my body is carb sensitive, and I didn't want to take too long to achieve my weight goals.

For me, I got the same "rule", and that rule in my opinion is set for people with normal stomachs, and are not morbidly to super morbidly obese with 50-60% body fat percentages. It'd be different if I had normal human stomach capacity, worked out on a daily basis and wasn't already immensely fat.

I don't count carbs but I do eat Kashi for breafast. My NUT says high Fiber for Breakfast and high Protein the rest of the day. The only type of bread I eat is wheat wraps or crackers. My weight loss has been steady. I simply don't eat the carbs because it wastes room in my stomach. I think people go overboard with the whole carb thing (just my opinion) :)

I keep my carbs below 30 but the nutritionist and doctors say 100 Max and preferably under 60. I mentioned to my PCP I thought thst was high for carbs and he said 60 is really low! However I lose weight better at 30 or lower and feel I have a lot of energy and as much brain power as ever. Moreover of I eat proten first then veggies or sometimes fruit I don't have room for many carbs, veggies I like being low in them. bread and nuts sit like a lump in my stomach so avoid them. I do eat patmeal for breakfast

I keep my carbs below 30 but the nutritionist and doctors say 100 Max and preferably under 60. I mentioned to my PCP I thought thst was high for carbs and he said 60 is really low! However I lose weight better at 30 or lower and feel I have a lot of energy and as much brain power as ever. Moreover of I eat proten first then veggies or sometimes fruit I don't have room for many carbs, veggies I like being low in them. bread and nuts sit like a lump in my stomach so avoid them. I do eat patmeal for breakfast

My surgeon did not give me ANY restrictions on carbs, cals, fat... just told me to eat Protein first and stop eating when full... three meals a day, no more no less and no Snacks.

It was only when I came on here and read the posts did I see the infor on low carbs.

Personally I have tried all the different suggestions and from Jan this year, none of them sped up my weight loss...My body just does as it wants regardless of what I put in and how much energy I use! I do exercise a lot so perhaps the fat turned to muscle and didn't show on the scales? I also think that my hormones are influencing my slow weight loss... but as long as I keep losing, regardless of the speed, I will be happy!

Im=n saying that, I don't eat white or refined carbs... and I do limit them daily as my sleeve still has pretty good restriction and I don't want to waste the limited space on crap food...

Do what is right for you ... good luck =]

I am carb sensitive so if I eat too many and 60 for me is too many, I gain weight. :( I try to keep them under 30.

Thanks for all the feedback guys...it sounds like everyone is just different and need different things! I am going to experiment a bit with loosening the reins on carbs to see if it affects anything, but I believe I am "carb sensitive" too, so not going to go crazy or anything. Maybe I will try a limit of 45-50 grams a day for a little while instead of 30-35 and see if it helps/hurts my progress.

So I had an appointment with my nutritionist today for my 3 month check-in. It has been 6 weeks since I saw her, so I was eating a lot differently that last time we met... Since then, I've been eating more normally and adopted a lot of the "typical" rules we all share here - keeping carbs low, Protein over 60 grams, etc.

When I told her I was eating between 500-700 calories a day and trying to keep carbs under 40 grams, her eyes bugged out! She said that was way too low, "almost like Atkins!" Um, isn't low carb typical after wls?? She specifically works with bariatric patients at a top notch program, so I don't know why it was so shocking to her. Anyway, she told me to try to increase calories to 800-900, get at least 60 grams of Protein, and that I should get 80-100 grams of carbs per day.

WHAAAAAAA? :blink:

She was adamant that that's how much it takes to maintain brain and physical function, especially after adding an exercise routine. Has anyone else had a NUT tell them this?? I don't know how on earth I'd be able to eat enough food to get in 60+ protein AND THAT. Anyone???

That is some old school thinking. In fact, my nutrition book (as well as the food pyramid) say the same thing from nursing class back 10 years ago. I'd ask her if she has kept up on recent studies regarding how many carbs are needed to keep your body healthy and functioning. She may be a great nut but it looks as if she's not kept up with her education.

Eat lots of complex carbs (whole grains, vegetables, some fruit). Be sparing on simple carbs (sugars, refined white flour). Eat a lot of Protein, and eat it first. Drink lots of Water.

That, plus keeping your calories down and taking your Vitamins is all you really need to do. Please folks, can we dump the "carbs are bad" mentality? It's just not that simple. If you carb-deprive yourself, you'll end up tired and grumpy. If you protein-deprive yourself, you'll waste your muscles and eventually your brain. And so on -- we need EVERY nutrient, including carbs, especially when we're in deep weight loss.

There's actually nothing really wrong with 80g of carbs per day, especially if they're good carbs -- complex, non-sugar, high Fiber carbs -- not junk. Just keep your diet balanced and healthy and your calories down, and you WILL lose weight.

Please listen to your nutritionist, not random people on the Internet. Otherwise, why are you paying for her expertise?

I've lost >100 lbs following this basic advice, so clearly you don't have to be overly miserly with carbs to lose a great deal of weight.

Please folks, can we dump the "carbs are bad" mentality? It's just not that simple. If you carb-deprive yourself, you'll end up tired and grumpy.

Careful. While you may be right on some levels, you have to understand that it is different from individual to individual and can be quite different for men than women. Some of us females are very carb sensitive and do need to pay close attention or it does effect our weight loss. For what it's worth, I haven't had more than 20g carbs since surgery and was at around 30g before surgery while actively losing and I was never tired or grumpy other than the first 3 days while my body transitioned over. I also gave up caffeine at that time, and I did feel icky for a few days, but never again after that. 20g of carbs and I still play Mom to 5 active kids, do housework, go to school and go to all of their extra curicular activities. I am not tired and grumpy and feel like i have plenty of energy....aside forma little cat nap needed since surgery 2 weeks ago, but I suspect that won' be needed very soon.

I feel great....on 20g of carbs. I will slowly add them back into my diet as I near goal weight. My husband can have 150g of carbs a day and still lose.

80-100 gms of carbs is not a lot, certainly not "tons!" Before surgery, I bet you ate at least 1000 gms of carbohydrate daily, probably more. I know I did--bread, Cereal, cake, Cookies, ice cream, candy--and although I am low-carbing during the losing stage I have many reasons for doing so and not because I think carbs are bad. I plan to phase them in during maintenance because I think they are an important component of a balanced diet and a happy life. If your weight loss is good eating 80-100 gms, congratulations! If not, you can start tweaking.

Another member here and I have quite similar stats--close starting weights, surgery dates, height, age--and we are within 2 lbs. of each other with weight loss and she eats way more carbs than me, so the difference in eating carbs or not is probably small.