Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low carb versus low calorie

I am in a quandary and would like some advice from the veterans. I know from reading the posts that many of you count carbs to speed up weight loss. I have done the whole low carb thing before pre-sleeve and had a significant weight loss but when I started eating carbs again I gained it all back and then some. That has made me leery of focusing on low carb post surgery. I want to be able to eat a balanced diet in small quantities so that I can maintain this for the rest of my life. My weight loss has been pretty good but has slowed down recently to a lb every two or three or four days. I am wondering if I am jeopardizing the long term success of the sleeve by not low carbing the first several "golden" months when weight loss is typically fastest or if my focus on eating a sustainable long term balanced diet is the right way. I would love to hear from those with success using either method.

Thanks!

I listened to a great lecture about biology and calorie vs carb counting. We are eating the way our ancestors did, the way our bodies know how to work. If you are eating low carb it's probably meat (that you have killed) and veggies you have found with the occasional fruit in the summer when you use more energy. When you eat low cal you have settled down in order to process those grains. The humans as a whole haven't been settled down for long. Okay okay, this is getting wordy. Look at what happened to the Native peoples when they were shipped in flour and grains. They became fat and riddled with disease. By keeping carbs under 30g you are going to have rapid weight loss, 50-100 some weight loss, 100-200 maintain, and 200+ gain. That is just a frame of reference and I've found it to be true.

I firmly believe in a low-carb lifestyle (meaning no sugar or processed junk!).

This is a very good question to get started because while I was recovering I had a chance to talk to a woman who had lost 100 pounds in one year. She was sipping one of those "baby" cokes (regular kind) and eating peanuts. She said, "You are eating so little that carbs don't matter right now."

Don't know that I totally agree with that, but while I was on mushy's I did mashed potatoes, etc. So I did not consider the carbs.

I am now 7 weeks out and going through the first big stall. My brain is thinking LOW CARB -- HURRY -- LOW CARB!!

I want to get to the place of balance & eating "normal" -- NOT out of control and full of junk like before, but not afraid to have a couple of crackers if I want.

I don't really count my carbs, I do track them, but don't freak out if i hit 60 in a day! BECAUSE I don't eat junk. My carbs are ALL from fruit and veggies. I don't worry about it. Oh and my vitamins! If I eat a banana, that could have 30g of carbs in it, but I don't care, it's a banana and not a donut! Hardly think I will get fat from it! :)

Kelly

I'm basically just avoiding simple carbs. Complex carbs in fruit and whole grains have so much nutritional value that they're necessary. Now, I do watch them and keep track of them.....so, basically it's kinda like a diabetic diet. No more than 30 carbs from complex carbs in a meal. I usually end up around 75 a day.

I love the taste in my mouth when I am in ketosis. Then I know I am losing weight. When on Atkins you eat a lot food but with the sleeve we have to be careful what we eat because we cannot eat very much. Low Carb is my lifestyle.

I do best if I stick with high Protein, Low carb and no refined sugars. I will take whole grains occasionally, but try to keep gluten free. I drink soy or unsweet almond milk--decaf tea and my Vitamin waters. Exercise is important too--I have to wait till weather cools off. I am in AZ.:rolleyes:

If you're eating Protein first, there really isn't a lot of room for carbs.

The carbs I eat are from Greek Yogurt, veggies, some fruit. Sometimes I eat cheese and have crackers too, but they are high Fiber mulitgrain.

So, I don't really count my carbs but I don't eat bread, potatoes, rice, etc and this is the way I have been eating since I got sleeved. I have been maintaining at goal for a year and a half.

I am days away from my six month surgiversary. The only carbs I get are from dairy (yogurt and cottage cheese), veggies, fruit (in my smoothies) and the occasional piece of flatbread/cracker or melba toast with cheese. On special occaisions, I may have 1-2 T of rice or mashed potatoes. I also have indulged in fried hushpuppies once in six months (just a couple). I do not eat white carbs (rice, noodles or bread(white or wheat)). Carbs are what I ate mindlessly before - I would anesthesize myself with them. It is better for me to stay away from them.

Guest Rosalind

My nutritionist told me that carbs are not bad but they should not be consumed without getting Protein first. There are good carbs...whole grain, fruit, veggies. Yes, fruit and veggies have carbs too. Carbs are necessary to help the brain function. The science of losing weigh is....you have to burn more calories than you consume. Carbs are higher in calories and keep you full for less time. Basically, if you eat a lot of carbs, you have to consume more to get full and stay full which will surely take you over your calories. You can go over 20 to 30 carbs by consuming veggies and surely by consuming fruit. Losing weight on a balanced diet is possible. The body works better on a balanced diet. If you exercise, you should burn off a reasonable amount of carbs anyway. If you are sendintary, maybe not.:couch2:

Rosalind funny how nutritionists are so misinformed and wrong. There are some carbs that are ok. But when my nutritionist told me to eat a baked potato or mashed potatoes, she is wrong. I love good low carb veggies- green Beans, cauliflower, peppers, broccoli, mushrooms, onions. I stay far far away from starchy veggies like carrots, peas, and potatoes.

Guest Rosalind

Norman, I never said eat a baked potato. I said there is nothing wrong with a well balanced diet where servings are maintained........a serving being 1/2 cup which a sleever cannot consume anyway. The problem with obese people including me is that we have never maintained proper servings thus making us consume more calories than we burned.

By the way, I don't like people trying to ensue arguments by responding directly to the person making a comment instead of making a general comment. Again, none of us are doctors or nutritionists! We are only voicing opinions and have a right to our own without being bullied about it.

wow Rosalind glad I am not your husband. I think you totally took what I said they wrong way.

SouthernSleever: THANKS FOR THOSE NUMBERS!!!! I've been wondering about that!!! You rock!! biggrin.gif

By keeping carbs under 30g you are going to have rapid weight loss, 50-100 some weight loss, 100-200 maintain, and 200+ gain. That is just a frame of reference and I've found it to be true.

I do not eat potatoes, rice, bread, Pasta. Period. I enjoy my green vegetables very much. I have to say that I do not miss the potatoes, rice, bread, Pasta. I use to crave the hell out of those pre surgery. Today, the smell is a turn off. I Do eat a lot of fish and chicken and green Beans, brussel sprouts and cabbage, any green vegetable. I do eat fruit, melons are my favorite. I'm not bashing anyone just because their preference is different, just that I prefer low carb, as it is what works for me. Not everyone is the same. Some need more carbs than others. I keep mine under 30. If what you are eating is working for you then stick to it. :)

Deb