Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shakes Banned

The Kaiser Richmond program bans Protein shakes. They say that they are just "empty calories" and we should be eating our Protein, not drinking it. Then, not even 10 minutes later they are talking about how we shouldn't be counting calories or worried about calories, that we should just be focusing on getting in our fluids and Vitamins. Other Kaiser programs, even the one in Fremont, not too far away, are completely baffled by this reasoning. So am I!!

When I explained this to my mom (who had RNY 6 years ago) she kept telling me that maybe I misunderstood them and that there is no way a doctor would be telling me not to have Protein Shakes. With the teensy tinsy amount of food that I'm eating, there is no way I can get 60-80g of protein in a day. When I went for my final nutrition consult before my surgery a month ago, they again stressed how much they do not want us drinking Protein Shakes of any kind.

My protein shakes that I drink (yes, I drink them against doctor's orders. I'm such a rebel.) have 250 calories, 40g of protein and 3g of sugar. I can't think of any other food that has that much protein in such a small amount with so little sugar and calories. Even if they are "empty calories" it's only 250! And that is most of my protein for the day crammed into one little handy dandy 8 oz. portion. Out of all the research that I've done, I have yet to find a single other hospital that condones not drinking protein shakes, much less FORBIDS them.

I just think the whole thing is so strange and I'd like to encourage my fellow Kaiser Richmond people to drink the shakes, even though Robin and Liz will swear up and down that shakes are the devil. I drink 1-2 of my shakes per day and I have so much more energy and feel SO much better than I did before when I wasn't drinking them. I feel bad for all the people that are actually listening to these women tell you to deprive your body of much-needed protein. I think it's terrible that they are telling people this and if I hadn't done my research I wouldn't know any better and would be listening to them.

Does anyone else have a doctor or nutritionist that has banned protein shakes?

The Kaiser Richmond program bans Protein shakes. They say that they are just "empty calories" and we should be eating our Protein, not drinking it. Then, not even 10 minutes later they are talking about how we shouldn't be counting calories or worried about calories, that we should just be focusing on getting in our fluids and Vitamins. Other Kaiser programs, even the one in Fremont, not too far away, are completely baffled by this reasoning. So am I!!

When I explained this to my mom (who had RNY 6 years ago) she kept telling me that maybe I misunderstood them and that there is no way a doctor would be telling me not to have Protein Shakes. With the teensy tinsy amount of food that I'm eating, there is no way I can get 60-80g of protein in a day. When I went for my final nutrition consult before my surgery a month ago, they again stressed how much they do not want us drinking protein shakes of any kind.

My protein shakes that I drink (yes, I drink them against doctor's orders. I'm such a rebel.) have 250 calories, 40g of protein and 3g of sugar. I can't think of any other food that has that much protein in such a small amount with so little sugar and calories. Even if they are "empty calories" it's only 250! And that is most of my protein for the day crammed into one little handy dandy 8 oz. portion. Out of all the research that I've done, I have yet to find a single other hospital that condones not drinking protein shakes, much less FORBIDS them.

I just think the whole thing is so strange and I'd like to encourage my fellow Kaiser Richmond people to drink the shakes, even though Robin and Liz will swear up and down that shakes are the devil. I drink 1-2 of my shakes per day and I have so much more energy and feel SO much better than I did before when I wasn't drinking them. I feel bad for all the people that are actually listening to these women tell you to deprive your body of much-needed protein. I think it's terrible that they are telling people this and if I hadn't done my research I wouldn't know any better and would be listening to them.

Does anyone else have a doctor or nutritionist that has banned protein shakes?

I was just wondering which Protein shake you are drinking. That is a lot of protein for one shake and I am very interested. Yes, I am Kaiser Richmond as well and my surgery is scheduled for August 29th. I have already ordered my powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken and many other samples. I'll be damned if I am going to deprive my self of the much needed protein because someone thinks is isn't a good idea. I will stay away from the slider foods and watch my carb and fat intake, but I'm going to get as much protein as I can. Thank you for your post, you have backed up what I have been feeling since starting the program with Kaiser.

:)

I have Kaiser Richmond as well and was told the same thing. I did drink some in the begining, but they make me gag. I believe they are not good because they just run right thru you. liquids don't stay in your system for long. I would much rather eat my Protein than drink it, I feel much more satisfied eating 2 oz of chicken, than drinking a Protein Shake.

In the begining, you can not do this and need to have something to substitute tho. So, do what works best for you.

Kelly B)

My surgeon and NUT don't like Protein shakes either, as they are high in unnecessary calories and can often become a crutch to many WLS patients. They really, really want us eating real Protein from food for many reasons once we are able, about 6 weeks out - one, it's healthier without added calories, sugar, etc, and food protein is obviously digested much slower compared to Protein drinks. That being said, they BOTH realize they are needed in the first few weeks as there is no other way to get our caloric needs in while our tummies are so swollen.

They also both say that protein is grossly overstated and many think they need to get in protein, protein, protein, but really we only need about 70 gms a day. People are run down and tired after surgery because of lack of carbs, not protein.

So, I think Protein Shakes are good, even needed in the first few weeks. It's too bad that the Kaiser folks are being so totally absolutely against it.....are we supposed to be eating chicken breast 2 days after surgery?

I was just wondering which Protein shake you are drinking. That is a lot of Protein for one shake and I am very interested. Yes, I am Kaiser Richmond as well and my surgery is scheduled for August 29th. I have already ordered my unjury chicken and many other samples. I'll be damned if I am going to deprive my self of the much needed protein because someone thinks is isn't a good idea. I will stay away from the slider foods and watch my carb and fat intake, but I'm going to get as much protein as I can. Thank you for your post, you have backed up what I have been feeling since starting the program with Kaiser.

I'm glad you feel that way too. I kinda felt like a sane person sitting in a room of crazy people. lol!! I started to question myself because I just kept thinking "Well... how am I supposed to heal if I don't have any protein in my system?". I asked Lizz about it and she cut me off mid-question and said "NO! PROTEIN! SHAKES! EVER!" lol. Jeeeeez.... okay!! They seem really defensive about it when people ask, they are probably tired of trying to defend their backwards ways. Other than the whole protein thing, I listen to everything they say, but in the back of my head I keep wondering what else they are telling me to do that is backwards and crazy. lol.

For my shakes, I actually use 2 Champion Nutrition brand powders and I mix them. I use the “Pro-Score 100” and the “Pure whey Protein Stack” (fyi, Vitalady has samples of both of these on her website so you can try them and see if you like them). They are both chocolate and this mixture is the only shake I’ve found that I like. I actually look forward to my shake every morning =). They are even good with Water and don’t need milk. I tried each one separately and don't like them on their own, but together... they are good.

I do the small scoop of each and recently I’ve started adding a small scoop of the Optimum Nutrition brand “Gold Standard Cake Batter” Protein powder to the mix as well. It makes it taste like chocolate cake. It adds a great flavor, extra protein and not much sugar =)

I use Protein shakes almost daily. I drink them right after my early morning workout to bump up my daily caloric intake a bit and because I'm on the go to get ready for work, these are simply ideal. These shakes will hold me and keep me satisfied for minimum 3 hours.

I say if it works for you and you're continuing to lose weight, and they are not harming you physically then drink up! I'm not sure why they were mentioned as empty calories. They are very nutritionally dense. Empty calories are calories consumed that provide no nutritious benefits to our bodies... so I'm just a little stumpified by that one... :blink:

I agree that if it works for you, you feel great and are losing, have at it.

On the other hand, my people also said no liquid Protein after moving to mushies. Frankly, l only get about 650 calorie a day on average so 250 of them from liquid might be a bit too much for me. When I did get wild and drink one, I used EAS Carb Control which was 110 calories and 17 grams of Protein. Usually that 17 grams pushed me over my 60 for protein for the day and was enough. There are stats about how much of any one thing your body can absord at a time so I just stuck with the 17 gram drink that I found palatable.

I also drink a Protein Shake after going to the gym or at work when I don't have the time to eat. I think you shouldn't not rely on them too much, but use them to keep you from coming up short on Protein. I am 3 months out and still drink at least one a day...but I like it. It's like a healthy snack for me. I drink EAS carbadvantage, only 3 carbs, low sugar and 17 grams of protein.