Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I'm 4 years post op. I have gained 35lbs from my lowest. I even tried dieting again then realized I screwed up I am in bad habits. Eating even when full, not drinking Water, drinking with meals. The last couple days I started watching those things and poof down 5 lbs. so I think my realization is my sleeve is still a tool and I need to remember I am not a normal dieter anymore. I had WLS and will never be the same again.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm 4 years post op. I have gained 35lbs from my lowest. I even tried dieting again then realized I screwed up I am in bad habits. Eating even when full, not drinking Water, drinking with meals. The last couple days I started watching those things and poof down 5 lbs. so I think my realization is my sleeve is still a tool and I need to remember I am not a normal dieter anymore. I had WLS and will never be the same again.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using the BariatricPal App

There seem to be a lot of people here who have a serious problem with emotional eating. Its a good idea to work on this and I have a book that's quite good that you can buy off Amazon.(No I didn't write it!!)

The food and Feelings Work Book by Karen Koenig

This allows you to do a self-assessment/improvement plan and would be quite helpful to those who crave comfort foods. This book was recommended to me by a Psychologist.

My problem is I get very hungry- especially in the afternoons and can binge after dieting as it makes me feel deprived. Once you get obese its hard to move out of it whether you have had surgery or not.

There seem to be a lot of people here who have a serious problem with emotional eating. Its a good idea to work on this and I have a book that's quite good that you can buy off Amazon.(No I didn't write it!!)

The food and Feelings Work Book by Karen Koenig

This allows you to do a self-assessment/improvement plan and would be quite helpful to those who crave comfort foods. This book was recommended to me by a Psychologist.

My problem is I get very hungry- especially in the afternoons and can binge after dieting as it makes me feel deprived. Once you get obese its hard to move out of it whether you have had surgery or not.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely check it out

Another good "tool" I found was the Smart Recovery program. It is an addiction recovery program different from the typical 12 step programs. It treats addiction like a behavior that we have the power to change rather than portraying addicts as a victim of a disease. There are online and in person meetings, a forum and the handbook to get started is just $8.00 www.smartrecovery.org

I'm having a consultation re the gastric sleeve next Wednesday BUT was given an article today from a newspaper stating there is a new technique that will supersede WLS as its non-invasive,cheap to do and is performed under a local anaesthetic.

This consists of injecting small balls into an artery near the stomach which block blood vessels/grehlin production. It's been researched at the John Hopkins USA and has been very successful. Appetite is reduced and people are losing a lot of weight with this. It will prob take a year or so to come on line but sounds very promising. I did want to post this as a new topic but can't find a way to do it.

VSG removes the part of the stomach that produces gherlin, so theoretically, we should feel not feel hunger and not want to eat as much. Unfortunately hunger and appetite control is a million times more complex than just one hormone. In general, VSG patients do eventually feel hunger again, and regain weight even with their sleeve restriction, so I don't see how that technique stands a chance.

If they want to come up with a new successful weightloss procedure they need to get the neurologists and psychologists involved because obesity is not a physical problem, it is a psychological one.

I totally agree with you Kindle that there are many complex issues with obesity and we need a multi-directional/agency approach to help sufferers. On one TV prog.about a doc in Texas doing operations on 600 lbs people he said only 5% of people given a gastric bypass make a successful recovery which is quite depressing.

I am very interested in this John Hopkins research.

Years ago when I was 21 I weighed 226 lbs and my doc gave me a fantastic drug called Ponderax. This had an amphetamine effect and removed appetite. I lost over 84 lbs but unfortunately this drug was banned as it caused pulmonary hypertension and heart damage. I have struggled ever since and with the new research now understand that my metabolism is damaged and unless some affirmative action is taken I will only get bigger.

This new technique of an injection is certainly worth a go. Surgery is dangerous and invasive even though the outcome can be good. At my age-68,I would prefer not to go under the knife.

As well as grehlin there are gut hormones which stimulate appetite and apparently these go with a gastric bypass.

Good one, kindle! Very good.

On one TV prog.about a doc in Texas doing operations on 600 lbs people he said only 5% of people given a gastric bypass make a successful recovery which is quite depressing.

I think you misheard. OR ... the doctor is flat-out mistaken in what he said.

Gastric bypass is the "gold standard" of all WLS procedures -- having been performed the longest and having had more research done about it than any other WLS.

My understanding that half of all people who've had gastric bypasses are "successful" long-term -- defined as maintaining at least 50% of their excess weight lost long-term.

No VSG Ann,not only was it said about the 5%success rate they put it on the screen,but do bear in mind these people weigh 600 lbs and one weighed 980 lbs to start with and they have very serious issues with food.< /p>

I'm sure you are right and most people do well with surgery.

I was reading and reading and decided to say something about it

I think it depend on what you have in your head and which piece of information you are trying to hear and absorb from hear and there about this issue!

It is a mindset and its up to you to go to that side and hear that crap about regaining after surgery or go to the other side and believe you will never gain with you permanent tool.... .

I know many many people who took the surgery long time ago and10years later they are still skinny and healthy, when I asked them if they had fear about regaining they were surprised about my question looked at me like I am an idiot with a very stupid question and almost all believed it is impossible to gain weight "after surgery" and believed I am even more stupid asking if they followed any diet after surgery and almost all replied:

"if we would like to do that why would we have to take the surgery in the first place ???????"

I think that if we (and all people who regained weight) read and read about regaining our mind will start to believe and do what it believed but if we stopped listening to that crap we will never have that issue EVER.

Just threw my two cents here.

Good luck all.

Edited by mia150

I saw the surgeon last Wednesday. He said he would do either the gastric bypass or sleeve on me but said that in both operations after three years the stomach stretches and weight gain is almost certain. Know two people who had the bypass who weighed over 350 lbs have both regained all their weight,even after one had loose skin removed.

I'm not paying £10K for this and have decided to pursue other weight loss options.

I'm pleased to hear that others with the sleeve are doing well and can only say-long may it last and best wishes.

2Anne

Smart! If u saw article in NYTimes about metabolic changes after significant wt loss...i hope you can find a different solution. I will have blood tests to determine what i am missing in terms of amino acids, hormones etc. And will follow up with supplements if necessary. Or i will resume phentermine and ssri reuptake inhibitor meds. But i wont allow the wt to come back to 400+.

Then how come I know many people more than 3 years out who are doing well re maintenance?

I've lost 100 lbs. If I gained 10 lbs in the coming 16 months, I would consider myself a brilliant WLS success. That surgeon offered some really crappy advice. I think he needs a new specialty.

Has anyone read the article in th NY Times / NPR also did a story on it ... it specifically tracked folks that had lost weight on The Biggest Loser, but said how your metabolism is permanently changed... even though I had sleeve surgery 3 yrs ago, I cannot LOSE weight if I eat more than 800 calories a day, which is pretty darn low... Here is the article:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html?_r=0&referer=https%3A%2Ft.co%2FbFjsCgTUDe&referer=http://m.facebook.com

(I just noticed it's a Facebook link - if it doesn't work for you, Google NY Times and Biggest Loser...)

Strangefruit

I cited the artice to 2Anne. My cardio thinks the wt l8ss,on biggest looser was faster than we lost after surgery.

I disagree. I think both are the same relatve rate of loss.

What do u all think? Yes, i csnt lose unless i severely restrict caloric intake. I started higher than most so probably reached that 'fighting plateau " sooner than thise who had less to lose.

D*mn