Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I've read that weight relapse can happen between years 2 and 3. I am coming up on my second anniversary.

We'd all love to be 5 # less than we are, and that is true for me as well. One year ago I was careful. to lose weight before my one year weigh- in and so I got down to 148. Since then, I bounce between 152 and 154. The only way I know that is because I weight myself every day. Now, OA used to discourage weighing in more than once a month (or, was it once a week?) But, I got fat from going unconscious about my weight.

Truthfully, I do feel a bit of fear / terror that I will step on the scale and be 155. Wow, that does look crazy once I put it into writing! But, that is my drop dead highest weight, Spirit willing.

When I eat several days of carbs, I can guarantee a 1-2 # weight gain. I used to track calories (like around 1200 a day kept me stable). But, I'm going to add tracking my volume of the food I eat as well.

The absolute hardest thing for me is not drinking at meals. I certainly don't gulp, or drink a cup of Water, but I usually take meds with meals so add another 1/3 of liquid to my meal. I don't get to support group much due to schedule conflicts, but am active on my Discussion Group. I am writing just to check in and keep myself accountable.

BTW: I am 64 and take meds for hypothyroid and depression. I walk to the grocery store 2 - 3x a week as my exercise, and walk with friends when I can. Start weight 243, SW 214, CW; 154.3

Love to you all, TJ

Well I'm hypothyroid too and I don't gain weight that easily. And guess what, I eat a plant based diet...no meat, dairy or eggs. Also no added oil to cooking. I live on Beans, potatoes, rice, Pasta, oats and lots of veggies and fruit. The trick is no added fats. I eat as much as I want. I also exercise. I don't gain on this way of eating and I also have a sleeves friend that follows the same and she too is very slim after 5 years.

laurak712 - are you vegan? you can eat rice, Beans and Pasta and eat less than 1500 calories? I can eat beans, but rice and pasta make me ill. What do you eat in a typical day?

And also a lot of people have said that they got off track for whatever reason and have gained back a LOT of their weight. Well I don't think they're eating chicken and salad. Just sayin'. I don't mean to sound ugly but you don't gain 49 pounds just like that. And they admit to being off on their eating.

My typical day starts off with oatmeal and fruit with flax and a bit of soy or almond milk. Then for lunch I have salad with fat free dressing and maybe some baked fries a little bit after the salad goes down. My snack may be a small bowl of rice and Beans or some fruit and dinner may be a half a small baked potato with a grilled portobello mushroom cap. I eat all plant foods with no oils. And trust me I am stuffed always and must eat often to get in enough calories. These foods are not very calorie dense so you have to eat more. It works like a charm. I never have to weigh myself. I stay very thin. 5'7 137/138 always. I only weigh when I go to a doctors appointment and it's always the same. I have never experienced anything like this in my life. I can finally eat to satiation and not gain an ounce.

Yes I am vegan now for 2 years. I follow the McDougall program. I was so constipated eating the traditional bariatric diet and this totally fixed that problem. Dr Garth Davis is a vegan bariatric surgeon and prescribes his way of eating for all his patients who return with weight gain. He says it does the trick every time!

Most people just don't wanna give up their animal products but it's so worth it to stay effortlessly skinny. And there is no need to eat things that make you feel unwell as there are many grain alternatives and dozens of veggies and fruits as well. Now I'm off to eat some corn on the cob. Yum

that sounds good. thanks for sharing.

Sounds like a lot of starch which I do not believe would work well for me

This McDougall plan is controversial and pushes a very high carbohydrate diet.

Believe what you will but my very overweight has been able to avoid bariatric surgery eating this way and she has tried everything else. This is finally working for her. I know lots of people for whom this works. Carbs in the form of whole foods work wonders. There is a bariatric surgeon in Houston who puts all of his patients on this plan and they do better than the traditional way. Don't knock till you try it. The trick is to keep fats low. It works for me and I don't even have to weigh myself anymore. And my labs are better than they used to be on meat.

Just looked at my post. Sorry, my daughter is eating this way. She has PCOS and is losing steadily and absolutely loves the lifestyle because she can eat very large quantities. No more Portion Control for her. she eats tons of food this way and yes it's mostly complex carbs.

That's good everybody has something different about their body language.

Your right about that!