Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I am so disgusted with myself. I've been so depressed since I had an emergency surgery and found out my bones had an infection from my back surgery in Nov.

I finally weighed myself today, and decided it's time to get back to business. I've gained back 9 lbs and none of my clothes fit me.

I really hate that if I eat anything extra, I gain weight. The sleeve does make it easier, but I wish it helped more with the bad stuff that is so easy to eat.

Hey there friends, It has been a long time since I have been on this site. I feel bad for walking away but I just got really comfortable in my new lifestyle and I didn't need as much support but I forgot that others needed mine. I had my surgery September 11, 2012. I was almost 240 pounds when I had the surgery and lost down to 121 pounds but everyone especially my husband said I was too skinny (what a great problem to have) so I purposefully gained back a few pounds and now fluctuate between 128-132. Over the holidays and a 6 month long trip I gained a couple of pounds but have never gone over 136. I do weigh myself every day because I have to make sure I keep on top of every ounce. It IS possible to gain all the weight back. The sleeve is not a magic fix but it certainly is a wonderful tool! I have to be super careful with carbs, I will just admit that I am still addicted. I had stayed away so long because of my after surgery diet and thought I had kicked the habit but I still struggle with it (Just bought a few bags of single serving chips this morning) Old habits die hard or maybe they never truly die! I'm an addict. I can eat my weight in chips, crackers, Cookies etc so I have to be super careful. If you are just now beginning to eat carbs on your diet then please think extra extra careful about what you put into your mouth and introduce into your diet. You think that because you have had this surgery and because you haven't had any carbs for so long that you can handle it, but it is difficult! Still 2 1/2 years after surgery it is a constant battle to stay within my comfort zone of weight.

You also HAVE to exercise! Just do SOMETHING! Don't rely on the surgery to do it all for you. You have to tone up the areas that still jiggle....yes, over a 110 pounds later and 2 1/2 years later I still have several areas that jiggle and I don't like. I challenge you to take 30 minutes a day and just do something whether it is hard core sweaty gym exercise, or if it is just 30 minutes of walking, just DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!

Also know that the scale isn't going to move every day! And some days it will go up and you will be so discouraged. Go into the surgery (if you haven't had it yet) knowing this fact. I personally weighed myself every day and kept a journal, for some people this isn't a good idea, for me it was, I could see the progress and realize that I was just at a plateau and that eventually if I kept up doing what I was suppose to do (no cheating) that my body would do what it was supposed to do and the scale would reflect it.

I also took pics before my surgery and measurements and every month for the whole first year I took after pics and new measurements. this is a great way to encourage yourself and see your progress along the way!

I am a success story for sure. Although it is a constant concern and I am still working on it every day! I can share clothes with my daughter and I am now an inspiration to others. You can do it!

So to answer your question....weigh gained since surgery, yes but on purpose because I had lost too much, a good problem to have. I do know it is possible to gain my weight back but I am going to fight for what I want and I want to keep this weight off forever!!!

Excellent advice. That's just the way it is. I am also struggling with passover carbs and this year,for the first time, gave into it. Am up five lbs. On the down side now.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU for coming back to this site. Please don't leave again. We NEED you!! What an inspiration you are!! I am one year post surgery and am on track but this winter I have not exercised so have hit a stand still. My promise to myself and my fellow sleevers today is to do that 30 minutes exercise you mentioned and when the pool is a little warmer, oh heck cold or not I am promising myself I will be in that pool for 1 hour each day starting the 20th of April !! Stay with us girl we need you!!!!!!!!!!!

Water weight gain, hormonal changes. Really what is 5 lbs when you've come so far? Now if your talking 20 or 30 then that's another issue. I really don't think that weighing yourself every day is good for your psyche anyway(imho)

Negative 93 pounds! If I gain a little outside my goal range, I can actually manage it now taking it off within about 1 week.

Edited by bikrchk

I was hoping I would be one of those luckily people that never had a gain but I am three months out and I noticed this week I gained three pounds... Super bummed to say the least. I am hoping and praying it's just Water weight because I've been doing five miles a day and eating well. Maybe just looking at all the sweet treats my family eats they have gotten into my stomach by osmosis, jk.

mrwvw,

You are only 3 months out. You will notice when reading other threads that this is a natural process. Even if you hadn't had surgery, it is a natural part of weight loss. This thread is for people who have reached or nearly reached their goal, or it's been a significant amoun of time since surgery and never reached goal.

Just stick to your plan and you will find your way.

I was hoping I would be one of those luckily people that never had a gain but I am three months out and I noticed this week I gained three pounds... Super bummed to say the least. I am hoping and praying it's just Water weight because I've been doing five miles a day and eating well. Maybe just looking at all the sweet treats my family eats they have gotten into my stomach by osmosis, jk.

So, in June it will be 4years this June that I had my surgery. Overall, I would probably say I've been successful, although I have had my fair share of challenges. I reached my goal of 120# and stayed there a few months but had lots of comments from people who said they thought I looked too thin. At times, I wondered the motives from some of the people who said it because I think some people feel threatened when all of a sudden they might be the "fat" ones, even if they are only 20 or 30# overweight. I guess I gave in and "allowed" a 10# gain which I regret because I had always decided that I wanted a 10# bounce zone for those times of stress that I know happen. Well, that has now put me at 155# that I am struggling to get off.

I am going to work hard to get back to my 120# range and stay there if I can. I have people who tell me now, "oh, but you look fine". Ok, maybe I do look "fine", but I felt fantastic in the 120#, or even the 130#, but I am not going to let others dictate how I should look. I wasn't at an unhealthy weight. I have had a lot of job stress the past couple of years and it continues even now, but I started a couple of weeks ago to clear out all the bad carbs and get back to the basics. I've been successful in doing so and am seeing movement on the scale. I know everyone has their preference about getting whether it be daily/ weekly, etc. For me, if I weigh daily, it makes me LOOK at the # and face reality. I know that when I avoid the scale, I'm ignoring my addiction to food and giving myself "permission" to not pay attention to what I'm eating. I have gone weeks w/out getting on the scale and then when I get back on, I get nervous for the damage I have done. Yes, my clothes tell me, but for me I need to SEE that #.

I am back to weighing daily and I am going to get back on track. It's going to be a litle more difficult not just because I'm further out from surgery, but also because I have a fair amoun of hip pain. I have learned through a number of dr. appoinments that I am going to need hip replacement soon. I'm only 43, but I have been able to trace it back to being born with hip displacia as a child. My PCP had always said it was bursitis and so I have put up with the pain all these years until it started getting worse earlier this year. And, then the MRI's and Bone Scans told the story. I'm not going to let this deter me, I just am going to have to be extra careful with what I eat.

Anyways, all the best for those of you struggling on the same journey. We didn't come this far to fail!

Edited by former_vbg

That's for sure! We are all in this together. It's getting to a point where i am afraid to get on the scale.

My back surgery has made it impossible to work out as hard as I was. I am up 10 lbs and I am just hoping it stops there. I haven't been eating a bunch of junk and it's so depressing to see the scale moving upward anyway.

Oregon, former vbg i hate to say it but in the "misery loves company" category i DO sincerely appreciate that you share your burdens and stories. I am bouncing between 188 and 200. I am doing all the right things as well. My ankle is killing me from all the exercise and i get knots from musvle cramps when i do it. But i havent let that deter me. Yes, i dispair. Right now the ENT wants a biopsy of my epiglotis. No one told me that the gluey throat sensation is a symptom of acid reflux! Thats why i stopped Nexium which killed bowel control and cost me 3 pair of sneakers...and finslly when i went to ENT he told me our surgery causes that gunky gluey stuff. Now on protonix brand name stuff and that does not cause bowel issues.

I had m'y surgery in March 2015 and so far lost 39 pounds. No gain.

I had my surgery on March 11, 2015. I have lost 61 pounds to date, but I stopped losing for several days at the 3-4 week stage. After resuming my weight loss, over the past few days I have actually put on 2 pounds. I am a little nervous, so I am getting back to basics and starting to weigh my Protein to see if I can jump-start the process again.

I will be 3 years post op in September of this year. I have gained 30 lbs which most is from snacking too much in between meals, I'm working hard to get it off. Every calorie counts. I cut out sugar and I'm also doing low to no carb as much as possible. I'm glad u posted this for those that think the weight won't come back. It can if we don't follow a healthy diet. Wish me luck, any ideas will be greatly appreciated. I Started out at 345 pounds got down to 220 and now at 255 lbs. I also started drinking my 64 ounces of Water a day..

Edited by A Sleeve4me

I am finding it a challenge to get back to my lowest. I keep eating Snacks out of habit and the other day I cleaned the refrigerator out of all crap foods. What do I do, I take a friend of mine out to Breakfast and order this delicious Apple pancake the size of a pie. I split it with my friend and ate the bacon first. I ate 1/2 of 1/2 of the high carb dessert type pancake. Then my friend wanted me to stop at Whole foods. I go in and impulsively buy 2 bags of licorice and some candy. Talk about being out of control. That's me right now. After reading this, the licorice is going in the trash and I already gave the candy away. I am reminding myself that I can not eat over 1200 calories or I will gain weight. I need to stop eating when I'm not hungry and not give myself the excuse that I'm stressed and it's emotional eating. Damn this is hard. I have gained about 10 lbs and it doesn't come off as easy as it use too. I need to remind myself that I need this support group.......period.. Thank all you guys for being totally honest. Now back to the drawing board and getting rid of the crap. BTW after going shopping shopping and looking at the cost of food, I will be greatly reducing what I buy to save money......I don't know how people can afford to eat healthy when fast food is so much more cheaper. Frustrating to say the least......Urggg so for the rant...