Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

livvsmum I have a couple of questions for you... We are the same height and almost same starting weight, I was sleeved last Tuesday. What would you say best worked for you when you first started this journey? I find myself hungry on the liquid part of this journey and Im scared I will go back to bad habbits. Did you work out if so how much and time wise? What did you eat afterwards and what has made this journey continue at your goal weigh, Thank you for all your encouraging words. I have been reading blogs that this seems to not work for some prople and they gain it back and that is my worst nightmare.

livvsmum I have a couple of questions for you... We are the same height and almost same starting weight, I was sleeved last Tuesday. What would you say best worked for you when you first started this journey? I find myself hungry on the liquid part of this journey and Im scared I will go back to bad habbits. Did you work out if so how much and time wise? What did you eat afterwards and what has made this journey continue at your goal weigh, Thank you for all your encouraging words. I have been reading blogs that this seems to not work for some prople and they gain it back and that is my worst nightmare.

For me I would say there are a few things that have helped me. First was to stick to the plan pretty much religiously until I reached my goal weight. The weight comes off so quickly in that first year, maximize it!! A lot of the hunger I felt at first during the first few weeks was head hunger - not that it's not real, because it is- but it was more withdrawing from all of the carbs & sugars I ate for so long. Once your body adjusts it's much easier. I also found that I have to completely stay away from refined sugars or it's just a complete trigger for a food addict in recovery :-)

Another thing that has made all the difference has been doing the emotional work to end my eating issues. I started by reading When Food is Love & I meet with an eating disorder therapist weekly & probably will for quite some time.

Finally, exercise. Find something you love & do it! For me it was running. I actually just completed a half marathon this weekend - see pic- and it was AMAZING!! For me running gives me something goal related to focus on that is not scale related.

Finally, my blog is linked in my signature. Feel free to check it out to read more about my journey! :-) Good luck to you! post-182723-14139385967575_thumb.jpg

I was sleeved Tuesday so this is my second day. After the week on Clear Liquids pre-surgery, I was shocked to see I had gained 4 pounds. Now two days after surgery I have gained 10! Is this normal? My hands are very swollen and I really feel awful. I guess I expected the pain, but gaining 10 pounds. I haven't eaten anything except Water and broth. So what is happening?

Domawa, I wouldn't worry... you are on i.v. fluids during the surgery, that is likely most of the weight you have gained... you will lose that and level off and begin losing regularly... Try to just relax, follow your docs orders and get better... and stay off the scale for about a week! ;)

I was sleeved Tuesday so this is my second day. After the week on clear liquids pre-surgery, I was shocked to see I had gained 4 pounds. Now two days after surgery I have gained 10! Is this normal? My hands are very swollen and I really feel awful. I guess I expected the pain, but gaining 10 pounds. I haven't eaten anything except Water and broth. So what is happening?

Thanks strangefruit. I will stay off the scales! I figured it was Water weight, but pretty discouraging!

I gained 10 right after surgery too.., it will come off... do get in your liquids, this will help the Water weight get the heck our of you quicker! Do try to stay calm, the body will have a mind of its own. Just follow the docs plan... and strap in for a crazy ride! A ride that will go downhill most of the way!

Only because I had an appointment with my PCP 4 days after surgery, I gained 4 lbs from my surgery weight.

@@sleeve 4 me. I am 10 months out and at my lowest weight (-100 pounds and 12 pounds below goal) But here are my weight "gains" since VSG....

Gained at least 5 pounds immediately post op. Took 11 days to get back to my surgery day weight.

Gained 3 pounds at 6 weeks out for no apparent reason, stalled for a month and then continued to lose.

Gained 11 pounds in 1 day at 2 1/2 months out after receiving IV fluids when I was severely dehydrated from diarrhea due to a clostridium infection.

Gained 4 pounds on vacation at 9 1/2 months out. (Probably Water weight from all the alcohol I drank) Dropped those 4 pounds plus 1 extra within 10 days of returning home.

Not sure if this is what you were looking for.

I was sleeved Tuesday so this is my second day. After the week on clear liquids pre-surgery, I was shocked to see I had gained 4 pounds. Now two days after surgery I have gained 10! Is this normal? My hands are very swollen and I really feel awful. I guess I expected the pain, but gaining 10 pounds. I haven't eaten anything except Water and broth. So what is happening?

@@Domawa Totally normal, they pumped you full of fluids and your body is swollen from surgery. You are also starving your body so it's holding on to everything it can. I gained, too and It took a week and a half to get back down to my surgery day weight. It has NOTHING to do with your overall success. Just trust the process and stay off the scale for a month or two.

Edited by Kindle

I gained 9 lbs while in the hospital (3 days) and it took me almost 2 weeks to loose it. I'm 6 weeks out now and down 42lbs including 2 week pre-op.

I was hoping I would be down more, but like they say it didn't come in over night so I am just grateful that I had the Sleeve surgery and my weight is now going in the right direction... DOWN????

I'm in my 2nd stall, last one was week 3-4. This 1 has been a week. I was cleared to exercise (other medical issues) and lost .5 in a week after working out... Lol.

I think my body just loves to hold on to Water right now , any suggestions?

Just wanted to chime in about weight gain/weight loss since being sleeved. I was sleeved April 2013 (now over a year and a half out) and I'm still losing slowly but surely. I started at 306.5. Currently at 200 lbs. I'm 5'7", 28 years old, wearing L shirts and size 12 pants are getting big. I don't drink soda (never ever -- people that say "oh I leave it out and let it go flat first"-- that's stupid, I'm sorry. Don't do it), I get my Water in, I'm not great with Vitamins but my bloodwork looks great so I'm not worried about it (although I do keep up with my Calcium and D3), and I try to eat balanced meals (not ALL Protein, but a healthy balance while still focusing on that protein). I've had small fluctuations in weight along the way (a couple pounds here and there) and I don't always make the best choices as far as food goes, but you've just got to put everything in perspective -- if you've made it to a certain pant size, do you really want to go back up in size? You've gone through a major surgery and major lifestyle change for this weight loss -- do you really want to throw that away? Hang in there, if you're in the first six months or year DO NOT STRESS about any fluctuations, your body is just trying to figure out what's going on. You'll be fine, just follow your surgeon's plan and get that water in!

I am about a year and a half out and find myself snacking a lot at night on chips etc.. And don't ever get fl from it

I feel like slipping back into bad habits any advice

I am about a year and a half out and find myself snacking a lot at night on chips etc.. And don't ever get fl from it

I feel like slipping back into bad habits any advice

Don't buy chips or allow them in your home.

Investigate what feelings trigger you to eat crap like that. And build some healthier responses to those feelings so you don't soothe them with crap--like you did pre-op.

Slider foods (google that term) will NEVER make you full. They slide quickly through your stomach, leaving it ready to say, "Feed me!" (Again, google "slider foods" to learn why.)

Viiki I have the same prob. Im almost 200 again. Scared out of my mind. I do not have bad food in the house. I have everything good for me. But I eat all of it. And it's the habit thats the problem...not what we are eating. No advice. Need it myself

Do read through this topic from start to finish, find lots of people with the same problem and some good advice. Best of luck to you, I try and fill the house with good choices, so when I really want something, there are some choices I can live with. DO write everything down, even if its not the greatest choice or the best portion size. Keeping your eye open to what you are eating and drinking is a great first step.