Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I am post op day two. May 1st was my sleeve day and I did gain 2.5 lbs from all the iv fluids they pumped into me. I hope this helps! My doc and staff all told me this is normal and will fall off this week.

Congrats on getting your surgery. Please understand this discussion thread is for people who have reached goal or near goal and then regained.

Good luck with your journey!

Hi everyone. I'm now over 5 years out and I have plenty of sleeved friends who HAVE gained weight. Some, significantly, others not too much. Do not think sleevers don't gain weight, because they can and do. Of my group of friends (10 or so), 2 did not have much success at all. And what I mean is they lost about 50lbs and started regaining and are still obese today. One of those 2 is further out than me and the other is 3 years out. As for the rest of the group, they have ALL gained weight to one degree or another with the exception of myself and a man. All the rest are women. And here's the difference. The man I'm referring to has an extremely active job and as for me, I still weigh and measure and log my food and exercise a lot. So there you have it. The minute my friends got back into the pleasure trap of the standard American diet, well you guessed it ...they gained. And, by the way, the one gal in our group that has an RNY, has remained successful as well and she's further out than me. But she's strict on her food. I'm just telling it like it is, the further out you get the easier it is to gain. And it happens to a lot of us. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I want everyone to be prepared for a life long fight. A fight we now have a chance at winning! Be smart with your tool. Laura

So the people who have stuck w the diet. What are there main strengths? Food?

I'm 7 days out and gag at the no sugar-fake sugar food. Any advice?!!??

Hi everyone. I'm now over 5 years out and I have plenty of sleeved friends who HAVE gained weight. Some, significantly, others not too much. Do not think sleevers don't gain weight, because they can and do. Of my group of friends (10 or so), 2 did not have much success at all. And what I mean is they lost about 50lbs and started regaining and are still obese today. One of those 2 is further out than me and the other is 3 years out. As for the rest of the group, they have ALL gained weight to one degree or another with the exception of myself and a man. All the rest are women. And here's the difference. The man I'm referring to has an extremely active job and as for me, I still weigh and measure and log my food and exercise a lot. So there you have it. The minute my friends got back into the pleasure trap of the standard American diet, well you guessed it ...they gained. And, by the way, the one gal in our group that has an RNY, has remained successful as well and she's further out than me. But she's strict on her food. I'm just telling it like it is, the further out you get the easier it is to gain. And it happens to a lot of us. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I want everyone to be prepared for a life long fight. A fight we now have a chance at winning! Be smart with your tool. Laura

So the people who have stuck w the diet. What are there main strengths? Food?

I'm 7 days out and gag at the no sugar-fake sugar food. Any advice?!!??

As I said, with the exception of the male in our group, all of the ladies have gained some weight back except me. What are my strengths? Well I don't eat any standard american diet type of foods. No burgers, fries, chips, cakes, fast food, etc. I eat minimally processed foods, mostly plant based, not much added fat, heavy on the fruit and veggies. I also exercise regularly and have for 25 years so I have a lean muscular body. And I eat none of the no sugar fake food.

As I said, with the exception of the male in our group, all of the ladies have gained some weight back except me. What are my strengths? Well I don't eat any standard american diet type of foods. No burgers, fries, chips, cakes, fast food, etc. I eat minimally processed foods, mostly plant based, not much added fat, heavy on the fruit and veggies. I also exercise regularly and have for 25 years so I have a lean muscular body. And I eat none of the no sugar fake food.

Laura

Do u remember what u did 1-2 weeks post op with liquid purée phase?!?

As I said, with the exception of the male in our group, all of the ladies have gained some weight back except me. What are my strengths? Well I don't eat any standard american diet type of foods. No burgers, fries, chips, cakes, fast food, etc. I eat minimally processed foods, mostly plant based, not much added fat, heavy on the fruit and veggies. I also exercise regularly and have for 25 years so I have a lean muscular body. And I eat none of the no sugar fake food.< /p>

Laura

Do u remember what u did 1-2 weeks post op with liquid purée phase?!?

Gosh that's a long time ago, lol. I did 2 Protein shakes a day and I think I had very watered down cream of wheat, broths, Jello. By 2 weeks I was cleared for scrambled eggs and that was a life saver. I've never had any bad reactions to any food so I may have been lucky. I kept on the shakes for a couple of years. And I tried em all, lol. Oh and applesauce in the beginning.

Well after only 8 months I have gained 20lbs back,and I'm trying to get myself back on track . I had my surgery on 07/30/2013 I got down to 228 and now I'm back up to 250. I started out weighing 316. Not looking so good for me.

Well after only 8 months I have gained 20lbs back,and I'm trying to get myself back on track . I had my surgery on 07/30/2013 I got down to 228 and now I'm back up to 250. I started out weighing 316. Not looking so good for me.

Now is the time to get back on the horse. I really had to get to the point where it was real to me that I needed to watch what I eat and get moving forever. I really just wanted to be normal and not have to do anything special except "be myself" and follow my desires and not gain the wight back. I did gain 22 pounds back without even seeing myself doing it. I just lived life and gained 22 pounds. I then realized I had to watch everything I ate.... I don't mean I can never have things the I like to eat... I really just have to watch it, I write everything down I eat, not mater if its healthy or crap... I write it down, try to get in my Protein, vitimins, Water and exercise. I also am working on getting more sleep. Seriously, when people say you need a lifestyle change, they wern't kidding. How much do you want to live longer? Healthier? Be there for your kids and see the world? Enjoy life? Some days I still feel that little twinge that I want to eat the whole box of donuts... and sometimes I eat one... and write it down in MFP. I think writing it down takes some of the romance out of eating it. Its harder for me to see it as my lover if I reduce it to calories and protein and saturated fat. I try and keep the fridge full of Snacks I can eat. All kinds, sweet, protein, crunchy, smooth.... salty... I dont want to be caught with a box of Cookies when Im down... I will dig in. But if I have SF fudge bars, or 100 cal yogurts, or SF pudding, or oatmeal or something that hits the spot without taking a huge bite out of my calorie allotment, and doesn't wake up my sugar monster... I can make it through the day. Be prepared....for the long haul. I LOVE being at goal.It took me three years to get there. I still fight for it on many days... It is worth it. Good luck to you all.

Thank you, for your encouraging words,and journey. I'm glad your at your goal weight (:

The good news is you know that you are off track and have gained. Now you need to figure out how you want to reset your mind so you can get back to losing the weight. Your sleeved so you still have the ability to lose. YOU can do it.

Good to read all these posts. I am 9 months out and the restrictions are not as strong as they have been. Able to eat much more. I need to get a grip and get back on track!!!! This forum helps!

Truely, this journey is ups and downs, I have never had any issues with food or the surgery, it was just to easy. Nothing to warn me of not eating, so I an eat everything. I first try and get Water and protien in, but I like to cook and entertain, so I make things I have to or end up nibing on. I continue to lose at a slow rate. I have no complaints. One week I will be up two ponds then two weeks later down 5 so making head way and living life with a few restrictions. I enjoy this site as I can share my experience and hear about everyone elses, it helps when I am on bad days. Thank you all and may the force be with you!!

Hi Guys,

I haven't been on in a while and wanted to report. When I first had my surgery I was close to 300 lbs May 2011. I was down to 192 lbs when I got pregnant late 2012. While pregnant I went back up to 250 lbs. After baby I was down to 230 lbs. While on maternity leave I gained an additonal 10 lbs eating crappy foods so by Dec. 2013 I was at 240 lbs. When the baby was 8 months old I realized I was no longer carrying fat from the pregnancy, it was the food I was eating.

I've been trying to get back on track. I started to watch my portions again and to stay on the healthier side about 3 months ago. I am currently 223 lbs and hope to continue losing. So that's 17 lbs lost in 3 months. I have stopped losing weight in the past month as I knew I would, but I am focused and want to get back to my 192 lbs by fall. I also added 25 minute workouts Mon - Thursday and 50 minute workouts on Fridays using Shawn-T videos at home.

I just want all of you to know that weight loss is hard and the sleeve definitely helped me get to 192 lbs, but it is not a permanent solution to healthy living. The change comes from you first and the sleeve is there to help ease the process. Good luck!

I can go up 10 pounds without much effort but Im thankful when I get back on track it comes off fairly fast.

I have a question, when did everyone start gaining weight? It seemed that with me it was right in between the year and year& a half mark.

I haven't been on here in a while. My surgery was Nov. 14, 2012 so i'm about 1.5 years out, i started at 235 and got to around 150, but I flux between 150-153 which is fine with me, but today i got on the scale and was 155.5, which freaked me OUT!!! I'm SO scared I will gain, and refuse to let myself get back to my old habits. But, i notice that i can eat a bit more now when i sit down to eat.

Any suggestions, help, anyone else feeling this way too? I see from reading some of the above posts that some of you have gained but have lost what you've gained. I told myself I would give myself a 5 pound flux 150-155, but that is it! I'm so scared!!! Just need a boost! :-(

Thank you to all the vets who have continued to post on this thread. It is a great reminder that we are in this as a life change and not a miracle fix. We will always need to keep in mind that we have an angry beast following us around ready to pounce when we let down our guard too much.