Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I haven't gained.... I am currently doing 1200 calories per day and use MyFitnessPal app to log EVERYTHING I eat. I think it would be hard to gain too much if I stick to this plan. Since moving to my healthy diet phase, my weight loss has been about 3-4 lbs per week.

You are only 3 month out GP, All of us felt like you do now... things can and do change later for many of us.

I love this, and I'm glad to see its not common for sleevers to gain. I feel like I see much more info on bypass people eventually gaining and not quite getting to goal

I love this, and I'm glad to see its not common for sleevers to gain. I feel like I see much more info on bypass people eventually gaining and not quite getting to goal

not sure where u r getting your info, but you are wrong.

17 months out. Still losing. May get concerned if my historical pattern of the last 5-6 months continues to repeat.

not sure where u r getting your info, but you are wrong.

Well I've known some people who had bypass and never quite got to goal, and a few have gained back some - not a lot, but a few sizes. I guess the "stats" are still out on one way other another. But that was why I was asking about sleevers... only have known bypass people that had it done at least 3-10 years ago.

Hi everyone. I'm now over 5 years out and I have plenty of sleeved friends who HAVE gained weight. Some, significantly, others not too much. Do not think sleevers don't gain weight, because they can and do. Of my group of friends (10 or so), 2 did not have much success at all. And what I mean is they lost about 50lbs and started regaining and are still obese today. One of those 2 is further out than me and the other is 3 years out. As for the rest of the group, they have ALL gained weight to one degree or another with the exception of myself and a man. All the rest are women. And here's the difference. The man I'm referring to has an extremely active job and as for me, I still weigh and measure and log my food and exercise a lot. So there you have it. The minute my friends got back into the pleasure trap of the standard American diet, well you guessed it ...they gained. And, by the way, the one gal in our group that has an RNY, has remained successful as well and she's further out than me. But she's strict on her food. I'm just telling it like it is, the further out you get the easier it is to gain. And it happens to a lot of us. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I want everyone to be prepared for a life long fight. A fight we now have a chance at winning! Be smart with your tool.

Laura

I agree. I'm over two yrs out... Gaining.. It's much harder now...

Hi everyone. I'm now over 5 years out and I have plenty of sleeved friends who HAVE gained weight. Some, significantly, others not too much. Do not think sleevers don't gain weight, because they can and do. Of my group of friends (10 or so), 2 did not have much success at all. And what I mean is they lost about 50lbs and started regaining and are still obese today. One of those 2 is further out than me and the other is 3 years out. As for the rest of the group, they have ALL gained weight to one degree or another with the exception of myself and a man. All the rest are women. And here's the difference. The man I'm referring to has an extremely active job and as for me, I still weigh and measure and log my food and exercise a lot. So there you have it. The minute my friends got back into the pleasure trap of the standard American diet, well you guessed it ...they gained. And, by the way, the one gal in our group that has an RNY, has remained successful as well and she's further out than me. But she's strict on her food. I'm just telling it like it is, the further out you get the easier it is to gain. And it happens to a lot of us. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I want everyone to be prepared for a life long fight. A fight we now have a chance at winning! Be smart with your tool.

Laura

Really inspiring, thanks @@laurak712

Great tip to remind people with sleeves to be ... "be prepared for a lifelong fight"

I am so prepared. I am so ready. I have been through too much to turn back now.

And it happens to a lot of us. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I want everyone to be prepared for a life long fight. A fight we now have a chance at winning! Be smart with your tool.

Laura

Hey guys, I need your help! I am a student in an experimental psychology class doing research on weight loss surgery. If you would like to participate please click the link below. Feel free to share the link! / https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CNKNSMB

Laura

Very wise, Laura, it is a life-long battle. Thank you for your post!

I lost 73, regained 17 and was completely out of the weight loss mindset, got back on track with a new plan and down 9 in the last 3 weeks.

Factors leading to gain:

- After six months my appetite increased a lot. This slowed weight loss considerably and eventually I plateaued. But I believe this is very common at the six month mark.

- My plan revolved around eating low carb homecooked meals and working out 5-6 days a week, an hour+ each day. This was working until a health catastrophe which crippled me for months and I'm still not well though at least I can walk now. But I had no idea of a backup plan. I was under a tremendous amount of stress and fear and the days I ate the worst coincided with the days I felt the worst. I would trudge to the store, barely able to see, and buy a bunch of junk I called "my medicine". I couldn't exercise or cook or clean. I ordered takeout every day and the portions were always larger than I needed.

- I disconnected from all surgery forums, didn't/couldn't go to support groups, and didn't see my nutritionist since I always had other doctors to see or I wasn't up to the trip. Also shame and not wanting to hear what they'd have to say. It's possible they would have been understanding and could have helped me but I just expected to hear everything I was doing wrong. I started the see the surgery as part of my past, no longer relevant to my life, like old diets. I know others who regained and seeing the surgery as past rather than a present factor is a major issue.

- I still have significant restriction, so gaining weight required eating many high calorie foods and skimping on Fluid intake.

My therapist, who I am able to see online, really helped me to take care of myself better. He taught me mindfulness techniques which helped me assess why i was overeating. He also encouraged me to ask for help. I found out I qualify for a home health aide. My family will come over and do the dishes.

Diet-wise, I had to stop the all or nothing thinking. So I couldn't do low carb or eat healthy meals most of the time. Even eating takeout, I could get my calories down and I did. My dad took me grocery shopping today for the first time in a long time. I was sick and will pay the consequences in pain tomorrow, I already feel it. But I have a kitchen go of ready groceries!

I am following the JUDDD plan with 16:8 intermittent fasting. I realized my sleeve is still working for me and I'm free to experiment. I love this plan and I'm grateful for the sleeve that works though I did my best to destroy it.

I lost 73, regained 17 and was completely out of the weight loss mindset, got back on track with a new plan and down 9 in the last 3 weeks.

Factors leading to gain:

- After six months my appetite increased a lot. This slowed weight loss considerably and eventually I plateaued. But I believe this is very common at the six month mark.

- My plan revolved around eating low carb homecooked meals and working out 5-6 days a week, an hour+ each day. This was working until a health catastrophe which crippled me for months and I'm still not well though at least I can walk now. But I had no idea of a backup plan. I was under a tremendous amount of stress and fear and the days I ate the worst coincided with the days I felt the worst. I would trudge to the store, barely able to see, and buy a bunch of junk I called "my medicine". I couldn't exercise or cook or clean. I ordered takeout every day and the portions were always larger than I needed.

- I disconnected from all surgery forums, didn't/couldn't go to support groups, and didn't see my nutritionist since I always had other doctors to see or I wasn't up to the trip. Also shame and not wanting to hear what they'd have to say. It's possible they would have been understanding and could have helped me but I just expected to hear everything I was doing wrong. I started the see the surgery as part of my past, no longer relevant to my life, like old diets. I know others who regained and seeing the surgery as past rather than a present factor is a major issue.

- I still have significant restriction, so gaining weight required eating many high calorie foods and skimping on Fluid intake.

My therapist, who I am able to see online, really helped me to take care of myself better. He taught me mindfulness techniques which helped me assess why i was overeating. He also encouraged me to ask for help. I found out I qualify for a home health aide. My family will come over and do the dishes.

Diet-wise, I had to stop the all or nothing thinking. So I couldn't do low carb or eat healthy meals most of the time. Even eating takeout, I could get my calories down and I did. My dad took me grocery shopping today for the first time in a long time. I was sick and will pay the consequences in pain tomorrow, I already feel it. But I have a kitchen go of ready groceries!

I am following the JUDDD plan with 16:8 intermittent fasting. I realized my sleeve is still working for me and I'm free to experiment. I love this plan and I'm grateful for the sleeve that works though I did my best to destroy it.

Thank you for sharing your story! That took a lot of courage to get back on track; congratulations! I completely understand the "all or nothing" mindset-that's me. I think you bring up a very wise, valid point...have a back up plan. We all use food for getting through situations, so we need plan Bs and Cs. Take care!!!

Factors leading to gain:

So happy your have taken the bulls by the horns and gotten back on track! Now is the time, before things really get out of hand. Good for you... you can do it!

I am post op day two. May 1st was my sleeve day and I did gain 2.5 lbs from all the iv fluids they pumped into me. I hope this helps! My doc and staff all told me this is normal and will fall off this week.