Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I'm kind of having some of the same issues as well. I was cleared for full liquids last week and my weight loss slowed. I have cheated this week with a couple of crackers with my Soup, I had 1 french fry, and I have eaten some of my chili whole before pureeing it down, maybe a 1/2c's worth over the last couple of days. But anyways, today I am up 1lb. I'm hoping a lot of it has to deal with the lack of Protein and liquids. Those things have really slowed down over the last couple of days. Liquids for sure have gone down since I've started back in to my full life's routine. But Im probably only getting 20-35 of the 70 I am supposed to be getting....that's probably hurting it a lot. Thoughts or suggestions??

Really dislike the Protein Shakes. I tried some and they were too sweet. Tried another brand and I get half way through and the rest is just hard to choke down.

I hear you about the Protein Drinks being too sweet, but really at this stage you need the protein... drink it like medicine, thats what it is!

Had my surgery on Sept 11, 2012 so about a year and 1/2 ago. Made my goal at about 10 months and then adjusted it down. Starting weight was 239 and I have fluctuated between 123 - 127 for the past 6 months. I am super happy about that. I have always weighed myself every day, it worked for me and didn't make me crazy because I was pretty prepared for the stalls etc, so when I notice a little changed, I either eat a little more or a little less, it has been working real well for me. Escaped Christmas with no weight gain although I never felt like I was cheated from not having what I wanted to eat. Merry Christmas and Happy new me!

I gain up to 2 pounds about once a month. It goes back down plus a couple of pounds later. It could be Water retention, I have to watch salt intake.

I've just got to say to feedyoureye---very inspiring what you have done. Excellent job on finding a lifestyle change (5:2) that you can sustain and has resulted in you losing your regain plus some! There is a lot to be said for never giving up. Giving up is just not an option for us formerly obese folks. It's just NOT unless we are choosing to go back to our unhealthy lifestyles and health conditions. And also to oregondaisy who has also found success with losing that pesky 15 lbs that was driving her nuts. I am so happy for you guys. The sleeve is a tool but we have to do the work. Especially when it's been a couple of years! Bravo! And to all of you guys out there struggling with regain---there is always hope. Giving up on yourself means you're letting the obesity win. What would the pre-VSG YOU say about giving up after you'd gotten healthy? I am pretty sure pre-VSG YOU would be pissed if you gave up after regaining some small amount of weight and said screw it and let it keep piling on. Pre-VSG you would probably kick your azz and say let's get it together. Never forget where you came from and remember how crappy you felt before you got surgery. Whether it was just being uncomfortable in your own skin, whether it was diabetes (cough, me), high blood pressure, joint pain, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, (insert your poison here), whether you just wanted to avoid getting sick in the future DON'T forget that feeling. You never wanna go back there. Anyway, I'm just so passionate about all of us here. We deserve some health and happiness in our lives after morbid obesity and it just requires some effort and never giving up. The sleeve helps a lot too. I never want to squander the gift I was given with VSG. After all, some people can't afford to get surgery nor will their insurance cover weight loss surgery so how big of a douche would I be to squander this gift?. I would never squander this gift ever. So anyway I'm feeling passionate as hell today! Big hugs to you sleevers out there struggling! If you're lurking, don't forget we are behind you here and you can't ever let yourself go back to where you were. Never stop fighting for your health.

I've just got to say to feedyoureye---very inspiring what you have done. Excellent job on finding a lifestyle change (5:2) that you can sustain and has resulted in you losing your regain plus some! There is a lot to be said for never giving up. Giving up is just not an option for us formerly obese folks. It's just NOT unless we are choosing to go back to our unhealthy lifestyles and health conditions. And also to oregondaisy who has also found success with losing that pesky 15 lbs that was driving her nuts. I am so happy for you guys. The sleeve is a tool but we have to do the work. Especially when it's been a couple of years! Bravo! And to all of you guys out there struggling with regain---there is always hope. Giving up on yourself means you're letting the obesity win. What would the pre-VSG YOU say about giving up after you'd gotten healthy? I am pretty sure pre-VSG YOU would be pissed if you gave up after regaining some small amount of weight and said screw it and let it keep piling on. Pre-VSG you would probably kick your azz and say let's get it together. Never forget where you came from and remember how crappy you felt before you got surgery. Whether it was just being uncomfortable in your own skin, whether it was diabetes (cough, me), high blood pressure, joint pain, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, (insert your poison here), whether you just wanted to avoid getting sick in the future DON'T forget that feeling. You never wanna go back there. Anyway, I'm just so passionate about all of us here. We deserve some health and happiness in our lives after morbid obesity and it just requires some effort and never giving up. The sleeve helps a lot too. I never want to squander the gift I was given with VSG. After all, some people can't afford to get surgery nor will their insurance cover weight loss surgery so how big of a ****** would I be to squander this gift?. I would never squander this gift ever. So anyway I'm feeling passionate as hell today! Big hugs to you sleevers out there struggling! If you're lurking, don't forget we are behind you here and you can't ever let yourself go back to where you were. Never stop fighting for your health.

Thanks Sleeved, When you hear about a "lifestyle change" it is so true and so hard to change unhealthy habits that are in place... sometimes for a good reason... Then realizing that the changes adopted during a "diet" need to stay around forever! WHAT!!!? But its true. That is a life style change. Forever. I see people here say "That is 50 pounds gone forever" and I think... well if you keep up the good work, then probably yes... but I also know how my mind can just shut off if I let it, under stress or vacation, or name your trigger...and I go into shark mode (roll my eyes back in my head and open my mouth and start chomping :o) The damage is already done when I get on the scale weeks, months later.... So the lifestyle change that has worked the best for me is keeping my eyes open. Even if I slip up or make a carb monsters dream choice... I know what I have done, and I write it down, and I weight the next day and I write that down, and I move on, and not quit just because I "blew it" or more unemotionally said, made the choice once in a while.Sometimes medication, injury, or circumstances gets in the way of success... but even then, we can make the most of what we have. That is a success too.

Some days I honestly feel like a failure. I'm a little over a year out and am no where near where I need to be and even managed to regain a few pounds, Took a few off, working on the last 5-8 but I'm still mad at myself. I was a heavy weight, 379lbs staring. At first I dropped weight like crazy, losing most of my weight in the first 3 months. Then I hit about 280 and my body stopped losing weight. I mean it was the stall from HELL. Months I was stuck at that weight. The lowest I got was 278 for a brieft day when I had a stomach bug then right back to 280. I guess I got discouraged, old habits set back in and then slowly I crept on a few pounds then a few more. Over the holidays I had gotten to 294 YIKES. I'm down to 288 now, hoping with in the next few weeks of strict eating and working out I can get back down to 280. But I don't want to stop at 280. I would ideally like to get out of the 200's some day...I know I have to work extra hard now because I've lost some restriction and I can eat larger portions (SCARY!) I've managed to pull myself back THANK GOD, because I refused to see 300 on the scale again!

I had a regain. You can do it !

Research the 5:2 diet or the FAST diet. There's a lot of links for it here, or you can google it.

Lots of Protein, keep your carbs low, and you'll lose weight.

Some days I honestly feel like a failure. I'm a little over a year out and am no where near where I need to be and even managed to regain a few pounds, Took a few off, working on the last 5-8 but I'm still mad at myself. I was a heavy weight, 379lbs staring. At first I dropped weight like crazy, losing most of my weight in the first 3 months. Then I hit about 280 and my body stopped losing weight. I mean it was the stall from HELL. Months I was stuck at that weight. The lowest I got was 278 for a brieft day when I had a stomach bug then right back to 280. I guess I got discouraged, old habits set back in and then slowly I crept on a few pounds then a few more. Over the holidays I had gotten to 294 YIKES. I'm down to 288 now, hoping with in the next few weeks of strict eating and working out I can get back down to 280. But I don't want to stop at 280. I would ideally like to get out of the 200's some day...I know I have to work extra hard now because I've lost some restriction and I can eat larger portions (SCARY!) I've managed to pull myself back THANK GOD, because I refused to see 300 on the scale again!

Keep up the good work Angel! We all slip now and then, but you don't have to give up.... stalls are horrible! But when you give up, that is worse, because there is no chance to get it off... fast or slow. I use the 5:2 also, after gaining 22 pounds and not ever reaching goal... I finally got to goal at three years out! Who cares if it took 3 years!? Not me, I am glad to have gotten there, and now face the challenge of keeping it off. You can too.

Keep up the good work Angel! We all slip now and then, but you don't have to give up.... stalls are horrible! But when you give up, that is worse, because there is no chance to get it off... fast or slow. I use the 5:2 also, after gaining 22 pounds and not ever reaching goal... I finally got to goal at three years out! Who cares if it took 3 years!? Not me, I am glad to have gotten there, and now face the challenge of keeping it off. You can too.

Thank you so much! I just started the 5:2 on someones recommendation. Today was my first 'fast' day and so far it seems very doable and like something I can do. I'm definitely not giving up, just took a little detour!

That's great news! There's a bunch of us who have gotten back to goal with it, and I've been doing 5:2 for maintenance and have had no trouble maintaining this time.

I gained six pounds after surgery, mainly because your system has been flushed out beforehand, and the intravenous fluids given to you while in the hospital. I have since lost 20 pounds in 30 days.

I was one year out October of 2013... I had pretty much lost and then maintained, but have gained about 5-6lbs since the holidays as my workout routine has changed. (I used to do a lot of walking outside and we have had a severe winter)... I am trying hard not to gain any more, but am confident - ok, hopeful - that this spring I can resume my workout routine and get back to where I was in the fall. I don't think I am eating a whole lot more, but my stomach *has* stretched some in that I can consume more than last summer... I hope that is normal... I thought I was supposed to eat more than directly after surgery, but much less than before surgery.

I was one year out October of 2013... I had pretty much lost and then maintained, but have gained about 5-6lbs since the holidays as my workout routine has changed. (I used to do a lot of walking outside and we have had a severe winter)... I am trying hard not to gain any more, but am confident - ok, hopeful - that this spring I can resume my workout routine and get back to where I was in the fall. I don't think I am eating a whole lot more, but my stomach *has* stretched some in that I can consume more than last summer... I hope that is normal... I thought I was supposed to eat more than directly after surgery, but much less than before surgery.

Sounds pretty normal to me. Use MFP if your not to keep track of portions... don't let that 5-6 creep up any more, it does get harder to re-lose...

What is this 5:2 plan that I keep seeing? I can't find anything on it.