Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Look up "Three Week Stall" Many people have/had it. Do not believe that you can stay at the same weight or gain on 300-800 cals a day forever. Right?

Shoot, I don't know. I know at the support groups the professionals say you can drink your calories and gain. I suspect that if we were to drink margaritas, milkshakes and eat ice cream and Little Debbie's then we could gain weight, even if we didn't go over 800. What do you think? I'm not sure, I'm just guessing!! I always took comfort in knowing, if I wasn't eating anything that should be off limits while I'm in the losing stage, then even when I was doing the up and down thing.....I would lose just because, how can we not!! Right? That is just the way I did it, the entire five months, up and down a pound or two....the longest time I did it was ten days. LoL It was crazy!

Shoot, I don't know. I know at the support groups the professionals say you can drink your calories and gain. I suspect that if we were to drink margaritas, milkshakes and eat ice cream and Little Debbie's then we could gain weight, even if we didn't go over 800. What do you think? I'm not sure, I'm just guessing!! I always took comfort in knowing, if I wasn't eating anything that should be off limits while I'm in the losing stage, then even when I was doing the up and down thing.....I would lose just because, how can we not!! Right? That is just the way I did it, the entire five months, up and down a pound or two....the longest time I did it was ten days. LoL It was crazy!

Although the old "calories in- calories out" message does seem to be at least partly content dependent, I am of the school that if you eat 800 calories of cake a day, you will still lose. However you wont be healthy, and the sugar will make you ravenous from insulin spikes which leads to more eating! What the Doc means ( I think) from "you can gain from drinking your calories" is if you drink milkshakes and high calories drinks they just slip on down... don't really make you full for long and you can eat again soon after...The idea here is eat healthy real food, Protein first, log your intake to make sure you are in the right calorie range, add in some exercise..choose nutritious foods!...my doc also allows Protein Drinks and at 2 year post surgery, I still fit them in now and then to up my protein... I have found from hard won personal experience, eating cake leads to eating more cake...and it does not really fill you up... hunger later leads to eating again... this makes it hard to keep in a calorie range to maintain or lose. I have to say I do eat cake now and then... but write it down and keep in my calorie range. At this time I am maintaining/losing(with a small l) ... and did this during the losing phase... in moderation and in the context of keeping track of what was going in my mouth. This might not work for everyone...I don't follow strict low carb, but go by calories in/calories out more with only slightly reduced carbs.

Although the old "calories in- calories out" message does seem to be at least partly content dependent, I am of the school that if you eat 800 calories of cake a day, you will still lose. However you wont be healthy, and the sugar will make you ravenous from insulin spikes which leads to more eating! What the Doc means ( I think) from "you can gain from drinking your calories" is if you drink milkshakes and high calories drinks they just slip on down... don't really make you full for long and you can eat again soon after...The idea here is eat healthy real food, Protein first, log your intake to make sure you are in the right calorie range, add in some exercise..choose nutritious foods!...my doc also allows Protein Drinks and at 2 year post surgery, I still fit them in now and then to up my protein... I have found from hard won personal experience, eating cake leads to eating more cake...and it does not really fill you up... hunger later leads to eating again... this makes it hard to keep in a calorie range to maintain or lose. I have to say I do eat cake now and then... but write it down and keep in my calorie range. At this time I am maintaining/losing(with a small l) ... and did this during the losing phase... in moderation and in the context of keeping track of what was going in my mouth. This might not work for everyone...I don't follow strict low carb, but go by calories in/calories out more with only slightly reduced carbs.

I am thankful that Dr. Davidson does not worry about carbs unless a patient is not losing. I read a book on carbs prior to surgery, thinking it would be something I needed to learn. OMG - it was overwhelming to me!! At this point I don't even know what is low carbs, as far at total carbs per day!!!! Good protein vs not good protein and calories, THAT I can keep up with!! LOL We have so much to learn, but it becomes second nature. I never did have anything sweet while I was losing, not even a bite. In my mind, I had this 'honeymoon' period and I was scared it would come and go and I wouldn't have reached goal. Now, I eat sweets, not a lot, but a couple of times a week I'll have something. Like you, I log it and it's counted. Honestly, overall, I think I felt better during the losing stage when I didn't allow myself anything sweet and not even one French fry.....it just isn't reality. Dr. D said 'This is not a diet, it's a new way of life'. That is what makes this surgery so great in my opinion.

As far as carbs, my bariatrician gave me a number before surgery, while I was doing the insurance diet, of no more than 100 carbs a day, but obviously preferrably as low as you can get. With the small portions and high Protein intake I've had it's nearly impossible to get anywhere near that regularly. I don't think I've gone much over 70 at all since at least 2 weeks before surgery.

The rule I have at this point since I've made it to "healthy diet" stages is three "meals" a day obviously starting with Protein first and two high protein Snacks a day and obviously lots of Water.

I haven't had sweets since my surgery other than sugar free Jello one day after surgery that was too sweet. I have some frozen greek yogurt for a high protein snack that I haven't eaten yet and sugar free popscicles. Mostly I've been going to the store and while I'm there I'll pick up packages of things I used to like and basically if the sodium is super high &/or if there is less than 4g of protein per serving I put it right back down. Helps eliminate the junk food obviously. Plus there are a lot of fun substitutes.

For example, I bout a bunch of seeds and nuts to snack on for preotein and fairly low carbs. All I do is find a seasoning I really like (I buy that Mr. Kernel popcorn seasoning since for being a seasoning its still not a ton of salt) spritz the seeds/nuts with olive oil Pam and sprinkle a little seasoning and shake it up. Flavored like chips but high in protein. I also buy flavored Pork rinds, to get a sensation like chips with no carbs, low fat and pure protein.

I am happy to say that since yesterday my weight creeped down a tiny bit so maybe I'm finally over that hurdle. We'll see!

I have not loss a pound since DEC251LB and have gain 9 pound. I seem to be always hungry. I'm worried. Current weight 260lb.

Can you call your NUT or surgeon's office? You might try going back to basics of Protein, protein, and protein. However, you have lost about 100 lbs so congrats! That's a big success. Weight loss does slow down after the 6 month mark. Have your eating habits slipped and your eating more carbs? Reevaluate diet and eat dense Proteins. Sometimes I feel really hungry too but It's not hunger, it's my head hunger. :) Let us know how your doing. :)

I have not loss a pound since DEC251LB and have gain 9 pound. I seem to be always hungry. I'm worried. Current weight 260lb.

You can get back on track!!! Start with throwing away ANYTHING in your kitchen that should NOT be there!!!! Up your Protein and liquids. Do you weigh daily? If not, consider doing that so you will know EXACTLY where you are at.....ignorance is NOT bliss when it comes to this!! Do you log your food? If not, consider starting, and make it a habit, just like brushing your teeth!!! Do you weigh and/or measure your food? Again, if not, consider starting. If you are home measure or weigh your food. Know how much you can put into your new tummy and try and UNDER eat your sleeve. Do you experience hunger or are you like me? I have what I call my "NEW" hunger....more of an empty feeling. It's easy to ignore if need be!!!! YOU CAN do this, just make it a game, make it fun......above all, make it habit to do all, or at least some of what I've mentioned. I had surgery three years ago on June 11th, these are the things I've been doing since day one. Also, I eat off a salad plate. Psychological....the plate doesn't look empty. Good luck!!

yes, I agree,, reevaluate what you are eating,, go back to basics..... I am 15 months out and sometimes I get upset because I feel hungry more often... but I have to ask myself is it really hunger,, is it boredom,, is it acid,,, Also I find if I eat dense Protein, like chicken breast, I feel full longer and don't need as much. Love my Kashi Mocha Almond Bars, they have 6 grams of protein but they don't fill me up.....And I know I'm not exercising enough... If I want to stay at this weight I've got to follow the program!! My husband has not had surgery but is following the " get more protein, eat less, exercise more ,, and he is finally losing weight also!!

Thanks I'm get back on track...yes i did stop the Protein shakes...so now I get back to the basic. I've walking 2 mile and going to the gym afterward. Im start logging and blow the dust off of my food scale.< /p>

you can do this,, one day at a time!!! and don't have anything in the house that will get you off track... for me it's anything sweet......

you can do this' date=', one day at a time!!! and don't have anything in the house that will get you off track... for me it's anything sweet......[/quote']

Yes that is also true for me. Since VSG I have a serious sweet tooth.

Mrjgetssleeved, You've got some great advice and sounds like you are on your way! Only think I have to add is that I try to stick to whole grains when eating starches, they keep me full longer.

Lynda

Shoot' date=' I don't know. I know at the support groups the professionals say you can drink your calories and gain. I suspect that if we were to drink margaritas, milkshakes and eat ice cream and Little Debbie's then we could gain weight, even if we didn't go over 800. What do you think? I'm not sure, I'm just guessing!! I always took comfort in knowing, if I wasn't eating anything that should be off limits while I'm in the losing stage, then even when I was doing the up and down thing.....I would lose just because, how can we not!! Right? That is just the way I did it, the entire five months, up and down a pound or two....the longest time I did it was ten days. LoL It was crazy![/quote']

Science says if calories in equal less then calories burned you will get weightloss. It doesn't matter where the 300-800 cals come from (there are unhealthy crazy junk diets where people still lose) at the end of the day a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. HOWEVER:) I am NOT saying eat 300-800 calories of junk.We get so little we need to make what we eat nutritious also for some high carb and low carb also make a difference.In our nutrition class we talked about drinking calories and gaining and most people who are drinking calories can drink over 800 calories and then eat food as there is not restriction on how much liquid we can take in and the calories really pile up causing gains.

I was late to the ball game I see:)

OK y'all just wanted to check in. I have 2.4 lbs. to be back at my normal BMI goal, sigh :D!!!

As I unfortunately found out, YOU CAN GAIN WEIGHT BACK, they KEY (at least for me) has been to FACE THAT TRUTH and never allow it get out of control ever again, and always get back to the basics (protein, Protein, protein). Which I have known, I'm just STUBBORN LOL! But I'm sooooo thankful for people like feedyoureye, NtvTxn, Ms Skinniness, iegal, and many many others who NEVER stop sharing that positive reinforcement! Don't ever give up on us guys! We will eventually get it :D!!!!

I hope check back here reeeeeal soon to say I'm back at goal, until then keep keeping on and go drink a Protein Shake LOL!