Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Yes, that's how I know I am not welcome. I had my surgery in Denton, TX. There aren't nearly as many WL surgeons in KC as there are in the Dallas and surrounding areas. There are probably 4 or 5 reputable ones and outsiders are not allowed.

that sucks and is unusual, I had surgery in Dallas, but it was across town, I do not attend that support group, the three I attend are with different groups of doctors, and everyone is welcome.

We were living in Wisc when I had surgery, I attended a support group there, but flew home to Texas for surgery. Check around, have you called? That really is sad, for them too, they are limiting the experience of other patients. :(

We had a ton of doctors here, as well as Houston and everywhere in between. Good ones. Another option is starting your own. A man that had surgery the same place I did started an informal support group in far NE Dallas (Plano, Richardson, Frisco and Allen). Anybody can come, but he did this for those who have trouble going to one during the week or want another one to attend or one that is closer to their home. It's fun, we meet the last Saturday of the month at a local restaurant. It's a great restaurant, a lot of low calorie food, nothing over 475 calories, when you adjust it a little, like no bread or just eating the fish on the fish tacos, it's even less. This month will be our third meeting, we have on average, 16 people, a couple of those are 'cheerleaders' - my husband and another one or two! :) You'd have to connect with other patients though!!!

If I were there, I'd help!! Good luck!

Yes, that's how I know I am not welcome. I had my surgery in Denton, TX. There aren't nearly as many WL surgeons in KC as there are in the Dallas and surrounding areas. There are probably 4 or 5 reputable ones and outsiders are not allowed.

Thanks. I wish I had the time to try to do that. I know there are some folks on this board that are from the KC area, but we are all so very spread out in the city that it seems nobody can ever agree where to meet. Oh well. I like this site and I like the support I get here.

Have a great day!

We had a ton of doctors here, as well as Houston and everywhere in between. Good ones. Another option is starting your own. A man that had surgery the same place I did started an informal support group in far NE Dallas (Plano, Richardson, Frisco and Allen). Anybody can come, but he did this for those who have trouble going to one during the week or want another one to attend or one that is closer to their home. It's fun, we meet the last Saturday of the month at a local restaurant. It's a great restaurant, a lot of low calorie food, nothing over 475 calories, when you adjust it a little, like no bread or just eating the fish on the fish tacos, it's even less. This month will be our third meeting, we have on average, 16 people, a couple of those are 'cheerleaders' - my husband and another one or two! :) You'd have to connect with other patients though!!!

If I were there, I'd help!! Good luck!

Hey guys, I haven't posted in this thread in ages. I was having a horrible time maintaining my weight for a while there, and gained a ton back. Considering I live with a personal trainer/nutritionist, I really had no excuse. But like he said, he couldn't force me to get back on track, it had to be my decision. I found that eating 800-1000 calories a day during the initial weight loss period is one thing, but for me, it just wasn't realistic to continue to do that for the rest of my life. I felt absolutely lousy, no energy and was even getting depressed. So, I finally decided to listen to my fiance's advice (gosh, I hated doing that and admitting he was right, lol) and started eating at my tdee for eight weeks. For me, that was 1,875 calories a day. I gained about eight pounds during that time, but Bill had warned me that would happen while my metabolism went through an adjustment period and would attempt to store everything I ate because it was so used to me depriving my body of the fuel it needed to just to breathe and be alive. Then, my metabolism leveled out and so did my weight. So, I then started eating at a 20% deficit of my tdee. And, I started losing weight again. Now, I have added weightlifting in at least four days a week, so on those days, I eat around 1,900 to 2,000 calories a day. I have to tell you, I have more energy and feel better than I have in about three years. It feels amazing to be fueling my body, and strengthening it at the same time. I have finally found a form of exercise that I love. And, the weight and inches are dropping, which makes me so happy! I am eating a ton of Protein, which is how I am able to give my body more calories on the limited amount I am able to eat a time. Anyways, this is working for me. It may not be something for everyone, but I thought I would share what has finally helped get me back on track.

Hey guys' date=' I haven't posted in this thread in ages. I was having a horrible time maintaining my weight for a while there, and gained a ton back. Considering I live with a personal trainer/nutritionist, I really had no excuse. But like he said, he couldn't force me to get back on track, it had to be my decision. I found that eating 800-1000 calories a day during the initial weight loss period is one thing, but for me, it just wasn't realistic to continue to do that for the rest of my life. I felt absolutely lousy, no energy and was even getting depressed. So, I finally decided to listen to my fiance's advice (gosh, I hated doing that and admitting he was right, lol) and started eating at my tdee for eight weeks. For me, that was 1,875 calories a day. I gained about eight pounds during that time, but Bill had warned me that would happen while my metabolism went through an adjustment period and would attempt to store everything I ate because it was so used to me depriving my body of the fuel it needed to just to breathe and be alive. Then, my metabolism leveled out and so did my weight. So, I then started eating at a 20% deficit of my tdee. And, I started losing weight again. Now, I have added weightlifting in at least four days a week, so on those days, I eat around 1,900 to 2,000 calories a day. I have to tell you, I have more energy and feel better than I have in about three years. It feels amazing to be fueling my body, and strengthening it at the same time. I have finally found a form of exercise that I love. And, the weight and inches are dropping, which makes me so happy! I am eating a ton of Protein, which is how I am able to give my body more calories on the limited amount I am able to eat a time. Anyways, this is working for me. It may not be something for everyone, but I thought I would share what has finally helped get me back on track.[/quote']

Thanks for sharing! Quick question- what is tdee?

yes, it's great to hear about everyones journey,,,, so many people think we took the easy way out.. We understand it's not and we have a tough road to follow. I still try to make Protein number one and sugar and fat as little as possible. Don't give up!! (I'm talking to myself too!) Keep our heads in the game!! I have found a group near me that meets once a month,, first Thursday of the month,, I think I may check them out!

Thanks for sharing! Quick question- what is tdee?

There are several factors such as age, weight, height, bodyfat % that play into these numbers. Activity is factored in to TDEE. This is the number of calories you should eat to maintain at a particular weight/activity level. Note that eating at huge deficits alter these values over time, but it is a principle that many people use to maintain a "healthy lifestyle" long term. A lot of people have to do a metabolic reset, as Susan mentioned, to restore their bodies back to these values. To us, these numbers are HUGE compared to our initial post op diet, so it is different for everyone. The principle is the opposite of what most people on here do. It means eating more (feed your body) and work out in moderation, focusing on lifting & strength rather than eating little and racking up cardio. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

What is BMR?

Your basal metabolic rate, or BMR, is the minimum calorific requirement needed to sustain life in

a resting individual. It can be looked at as being the amount of energy (measured in calories)

expended by the body to remain in bed all day!

What is TDEE?

TDEE is the common abbreviation for Total Daily Energy Expenditure which is a metric to

calculate the amount of calories your body needs to function in a day. This is quite similar to

BMR -- in fact, you need your BMR to calculate your TDEE -- but your TDEE accounts for your

average daily activity as well to give a figure truer to your specific situation. Basically, the TDEE

calculation relies on categorizing your daily activity into one of the metrics' predetermined

groupings.

After maintaining and gaining on 1200 a day, I upped my cals to around 1800 and did NOT gain. I felt so much better. My TDEE is around 2000-2400 a day depending on how much exercise I do. At this point I made a cut, and am maintaining and even losing a little... but I had to cut more than my BMR to get this to happen( the loss part) I probably need to do a reset and eat at 2200 for a while to get back on track.

After maintaining and gaining on 1200 a day, I upped my cals to around 1800 and did NOT gain. I felt so much better. My TDEE is around 2000-2400 a day depending on how much exercise I do. At this point I made a cut, and am maintaining and even losing a little... but I had to cut more than my BMR to get this to happen( the loss part) I probably need to do a reset and eat at 2200 for a while to get back on track.

This so scares me. I basically keep my diet very low sugar due to the toxic effect of sugar on our bodies but went to Maui for 5 days and allowed myself to have chips and Cookies and I gained 8 lbs. Went back to eating 1200 cal high Protein and am down 6 lbs in 2 days. Now I keep reading about TDEE and calorie intake but am so afraid that I will gain some weight and not start losing it by the increase in calories. Also, by the end of the day, I really can't eat much more anyways.....Can you give me an example of the foods that you eat? Are you on My Fitness Pal? I am so interested in this....... Thanks for sharing this..... :)

I am a vegetarian, I eat Protein with every meal, I eat around 4 meals and a snack or two most days. Right now Im at around 1300 a day, but will eat some exercise calories back as well...This is NOT the TDEE plan...I am not eating enough for that right now. I did really well eating 1800 a day, and actually was NOT hungry during that time,I ate what I eat now, just added a meal. I also worked to get in more protein, Protein Drinks, greek yogurt, seitan, TVP... around 90 gms of protein a day. I use MFP and according to that, I eat too much protein, not enough carbs and too much Fiber. According to TDEE, I should have been eating around 150gms of protein. No Way could I do that. So I cant really say I was following the TDEE plan all the way... I did start lifting weights twice a week, eating more protein, getting more calories... I did not do a full reset... I did go up almost 500 cals a day and stayed there for weeks...then made a cut to lose 1 pound a week (which I did not do) then another cut to lose 1 1/2 pounds a week, which showed up on the scale a little bit and thats where I am now. I think I will try to go to full reset this summer, but I am so afraid I will gain the 8-10 pounds they say might happen, and I wont be able to get them off. This 18 pounds I gained (actually 20...but 2 are back off) has been a huge bit*h to get off, its been 4 months and I have lost 2 pounds. I look and feel pretty good, don't hate how I look, just don't want to slip up and gain another 20...that would be really sad.

I highly recommend joining a support group. There are several of us in the North Dallas area that are regularly attending two or three!! It's fun' date=' imformative and believe it or not, there will be people who want to talk to YOU and ask questions. There is one that is more formal, with speakers, the one PhD that is there, he is great. The other two are more informal, a nurse and dietitian are there to answer questions, but we go around the room and ask each other questions. I started attending ONE a couple of months prior to surgery, that is when I got addicted to going!!!

Head games....OMG, no truer words have ever been spoken!!![/quote']

I never went to any support type meetings although it was strongly suggested. I see now more than ever I need it. My year anniversary was March 7th. Although my initial goal was to fit into a size 8, fitting into a size 4 is so much better. While I'm still in my 4's, I notice they are getting a bit snug. I know if I start exercising and focusing on what I eat, it'll get easier. It's just putting that knowledge to work that's hard. Where can I find meetings in my area? I'm near Richardson. How would WW meetings work since I'm now considered normal.

I never went to any support type meetings although it was strongly suggested. I see now more than ever I need it. My year anniversary was March 7th. Although my initial goal was to fit into a size 8, fitting into a size 4 is so much better. While I'm still in my 4's, I notice they are getting a bit snug. I know if I start exercising and focusing on what I eat, it'll get easier. It's just putting that knowledge to work that's hard. Where can I find meetings in my area? I'm near Richardson. How would WW meetings work since I'm now considered normal.

Oh my gosh, YES, there are several. I attend one, once a month @ Baylor Plano and there is one twice a month at Medical Center Plano. Also, a fellow sleever from Forest Park has started up an 'informal' support group that meets once a month, the fourth Saturday of the month, I think. They met this past Saturday, it's the first one I haven't gone to, we just got home from several days in Galveston. So far we always meet at Season's 52 here in Plano. It's located in the 'Shops at Legacy' center. All the ones mentioned are GREAT. I can give you the times, addresses and exactly when they meet if you want me to. Email me, I'll message you my email address!! You'd benefit and I'm sure you'd enjoy any or all of these meetings. C'mon and join us!! - stacy

You need to have an option of "Zero"! = )

Right, I was gaining nothing for the 1st 2 years. I then developed bad habits of drinking too much and eating some bad choices. For me it was mostly alcohol, we like being sociable in the pub and beer and cider are packed with calories, and don't even mention the fact that a bottle or red wine has 630ish calories! So anyway, I then found I had managed to put on 15 lbs and I am now remedying it using fitnesspal and will power. The foods not so difficult but my husband is still drinking and it drives me mad! So for the past month I have not had a drop and I am losing at a rate of 3lbs every 2 weeks on average. I hope I have learnt my lesson, but I probably haven't.

Good for you Jane! I did something similar... not so much booze but treats and not keeping track... I have finally found a place where I'm not too hungry and still lose ...very slowly... more like 1/2 a pound every two weeks... but thats ok as long as I can keep it up for about a year! Then I will be at goal! I still have hope! I have lost about 5 pounds of the regain so far...