Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Sugar is totally my trigger too and I finally realized that I need to give it up to maintain . The first few days are tough but then I feel much better- on an even keel, good energy, and no cravings. As I have mentioned in other posts, I am at goal (for 12 weeks now), work out a TON, and got to my goal the low carb way. I am determined to maintain this loss!

I was in a habit of having a little sugar (ie a couple of cinnamon bears lol) before Zumba, for example, but it triggered binging for me. When I gave it up I was much better.

That said I know there will be sugar in my life at times, I just need to plan for it and then get right back on track afterwards. Luckily I have a very strong will and have so far found it relatively easy to get back on track- probably because I know I will have treats sometimes, and also because being size 8 for the first time in my life is a huge treat in itself!

Anyway I really recommend you detox from processed sugar and I think you will be at goal with that help.

Good luck!

re: the fruit posts, now that I am at goal and because i work out 20 plus hours a week, I allow a lot more carbs including fruit. I still find it impossible to eat a banana after the fear of its 30 carbs was so ingrained during my extreme losing phase! But hey- summer with its peaches, nectarines, melon- YUMM!

Talking about sugar addiction, that's me. I decided to have a gelato yesterday and ordered a small one. I even told the server not to fill it up. As I was eating it, my stomach did not like it. It started to have a spasm. I ate a little more and now I really know that sugar is my enemy. If I want something sweet, I'm going to eat a piece of fruit instead. I love strawberries in salads or just plain. I really want to get to a comfortable size 6 pants and just eat in moderation. I am working on going out to eat and just ordering ala cart. I ordered a taco yesterday and just ate the carne asada w/o the tortilla. It was so filling. :)

I think, reading your reply, that MY problem is what to do after I'm full. I do get the sense of fulness and sometimes overly so, like just before when I walked doggie, I felt so stuffed that I wondered if I would hurl in the street. I didn't. But am tired, my feet hurt and I've had a looong day. When we came in, I sat to watch tv and blamed if I didn't drink a whole bottle of Vitamin zeio and THEN reach for nuts. I think I'm nuts, literally.

I do hear from u and others that I'm not done yet or at a point where I can change my diet at will. I've only lost 101# and I have almost another 100 to go as much as that brings congratulations, I'm still over 200Lbs. I get scared when I think of how much I've lost and wonder if I'm sick and actually feel weak...which is ludicrous (sp??). I still work out 5 to 6 times a week

I can and I will continue with the program at least for the year. I ve never been at a right weight for more than a few weeks. It's a huge challenge.

(Yes, I do hafe a shrink I'm working with 2x a week)

Wow, you have lost a 101 lbs! That's great. you will lose the remaining 100 as well. I find that when I use my special desert size bowls or plate, I don't over eat. I get a good feeling and i don't feel deprived. The desert size plates are perfect for portion sizes. I bought some elegant desert bowls and plates. I even give my husband his food on that also. Now when I'm in the mountain cabin, I don't have any of those plates up there, and I tend to over eat then and have a yucky feeling.

I believe the first year is a trial period where we are learning about ourselves. This is a new lifestyle and we are making many life style changes for life. We are actually giving up our old coping devices to our daily stresses and our emotions. I am looking at how much $$ I save by eating such small portions. I know that if I put food on my plate that is too much, I most likely will try and eat it all. I really don't need all that food to begin with, just enough to nourish my body. Hope I didn't share too much. XOXOXO

Dorrie

What a wonderful thread. Thanks so much to those who post their experiences. I was sleeved 8/8/11 and originally lost 95 pounds. Although I never reached my goal of 100 pounds, I was somewhat satisfied. Now I'm back to my old self with my old demons and I'm gaining weight. I've put on 3-4 solid pounds. But that's not the only failure. For the past 5 weeks I've stopped exercising. My body feels bloated and really fat. My pants don't fit and when I look in the mirror I see my old fat body. I think the lack of exercise has hurt me more than the old ways of eating. The honeymoon phase of my surgery is over. I no longer have the feeling that I'm in control. I no longer look forward to waking up in the morning and putting on my cute clothes, thinking I look good. During the honeymoon phase I was really trying, Now most days I eat whatever I want and don't exercise. Obviously the surgery worked on my stomach not my eating disorder issues. Sometimes I think I eat for entertainment. Is that crazy or what? I'm afraid my body is on it's way to being huge again. I'm really disgusted with myself. I feel like I had s good chance at succeeding but now things are looking dim. There are no actual support groups in my area so I read this site a lot. If anyone else has a strong addiction to food, I'd like to hear your experience on how you overcame your situation. Thank you.

What a wonderful thread. Thanks so much to those who post their experiences. I was sleeved 8/8/11 and originally lost 95 pounds. Although I never reached my goal of 100 pounds, I was somewhat satisfied. Now I'm back to my old self with my old demons and I'm gaining weight. I've put on 3-4 solid pounds. But that's not the only failure. For the past 5 weeks I've stopped exercising. My body feels bloated and really fat. My pants don't fit and when I look in the mirror I see my old fat body. I think the lack of exercise has hurt me more than the old ways of eating. The honeymoon phase of my surgery is over. I no longer have the feeling that I'm in control. I no longer look forward to waking up in the morning and putting on my cute clothes, thinking I look good. During the honeymoon phase I was really trying, Now most days I eat whatever I want and don't exercise. Obviously the surgery worked on my stomach not my eating disorder issues. Sometimes I think I eat for entertainment. Is that crazy or what? I'm afraid my body is on it's way to being huge again. I'm really disgusted with myself. I feel like I had s good chance at succeeding but now things are looking dim. There are no actual support groups in my area so I read this site a lot. If anyone else has a strong addiction to food, I'd like to hear your experience on how you overcame your situation. Thank you.

Wondering1,

I don't believe we ever overcome this addiction. This is what I determined from the first several months. I think the docs are barking up the wrong tree by removing the grehlin. I don't think surgery is a good idea and I would advocate for more stringent, rigorous training of the medical/psychological providers in the actual effects of surgery. I would suggest that the requirements for getting approved be greatly revised. Right now, they're laughable.

I think only people who actually are obese and have suffered the consequences and who've had the surgery sould be speaking to those who haven't yet had it and should tell the truth: 1. We will be forever vigilant about exercise and food. 2. We will 'forget' that at the risk of ballooning back to where we came or worse. We will never be able to relax or 3. Allow ourselves the luxury of resting on our sleeves, so to speak.

So you've only gained 3 or 4 solid lbs. If you don't want to keep buying a new wardrobe, get back on track and regain your determination and restart exercising. Drink the Water. Jump start the wtloss with Protein drinks and lose it again. It IS all up to us.

Wish you best

I think its good that you came on here to post and ask for help. I think most if not all of us who are still on the weight loss journey will have the same challenges you report.

You don't have to post answers to the questions here, but here is what comes to mind when I read your post.

1. What happened 5 weeks ago that you stopped exercising?

2. Can you think about what things or maybe people in your life might be getting in the way of you reaching your final goal?

3. Do you have access to a therapist?

4. If you don't have insurance to cover a therapist, contact your county services office and see if they can help you get services at a reduced cost. Some therapists will do a sliding scale if cost is an issue and the county doesn't offer any help.

I know that for me if I happen to eat some "bad" carbs aka junk type food, it REALLY triggers the food demons in me as well. It has sent me on a cycle of having a hard time stopping for sometimes as long as a week to kick the carbs.

If you can find a way to try to 2 or 3 days of liquids or just pure Protein with the idea being to get your body out of craving the carbs you have been eating, it might help.

I don't know what the answer is, just offering up my thoughts. I'm sure you will hear from others as well.

Don't give up!!

After more than a year since surgery, I can't believe how much I can eat now. You really do have to change your eating habits permanently if you want to succeed with the sleeve. With 20 lbs left to goal, I just gained back 5 lbs the last couple of weeks by snacking on things I know I shouldn't. It's back to basics for me this week. It really is just a tool, not a magic wand. I still wouldn't trade my sleeve for anything. Love it!

I also am appreciating this thread! I am scheduled for 9/25. I worry about the emotional aspects that helped me become obese and how well I will deal with them after surgery. fortunately I started therapy early this year specifically to address these issues. BUT, I haven't decided if knowing about these problems before hand is helpful for me or not! Definitly adds to the worry list. Lol.

I should have prefaced my post with disclosing that I am at goal. I didn't do this while in losing mode' date=' but I did not exclude fruit. For me, the low carb route was not the way to go. IMO, our bodies need the carbs for energy so you can do all the activities you need to do to lose weight.

Low carbs = Low energy = low exercise = (s)low weight loss.

I never eat Protein until I am full as I always want to have room for the veggies. I eat at least half of my portion, 1.5-2 oz first. I think that signals my stomach that, "Hey, we have some work to do here, so no opening of the pyloric valve!" Then, when I eat the veggies, they sit in my stomach with the Proteins digesting and give me that full feeling, which it does.

Last ***ht, 3 oz of rotisserie chicken with stewed tomatoes. Two bites chicken, two spoonfulls tomatoes (carrots/onions/peppers), two bites chicken. I'm done and full.[/quote']

Hey,I'd like to ask you a question. I do still have great restriction and if I eat Protein first I get really full really fast. Like last ***ht I had fixed a roast w potatoes. I had 2 bites meat a bite of potatoes and that was it. I had a true almost throw up feeling. But here is the issue. A little while later I will be hungry again. Do you eat small meals every few hours now or still just 3 w a snack?

I am going totally crazy these days. My weight keeps fluctuating up and down and I am eating a lot more than I use too. I'm am always hungry now and I realized that I'm not taking my PPI, so today I started taking them again. I've gotten lazy about taking my Vitamins and so I'm going to get bette at taking them. On the up side, I am finding myself with more energy and wanting to do a lot more activities. I need to get back on track. thanks for listening. :)

Im having the same thing happen. I know when I eat carbs, I want carbs, this is part of it. I have been half way off the track with my exercise, but went to a physical therapist two days ago, and am looking forward to improving my ability to do more activities. It is work, thats for sure, but still Its so much better than before surgery! Good luck with the struggle Dorrie!

Im having the same thing happen. I know when I eat carbs, I want carbs, this is part of it. I have been half way off the track with my exercise, but went to a physical therapist two days ago, and am looking forward to improving my ability to do more activities. It is work, thats for sure, but still Its so much better than before surgery! Good luck with the struggle Dorrie!

I am totally working on keeping the carbs really low. I know that I am a sugar addict and once I start eating bad carbs, that is what I seek. I do need to get into exercising. You will get back on track with your exercise, you are very determined and have done great in your weight loss too! The hard work now is to stay on track and not get side swiped by our past behaviors. I know, easier said than done. This is the hardest for me right now. We are all in this struggle together. :)

I was sleeved 4/28/10. I fall in the 1-5 range. I will say it used to be faster to get it off but it is obtainable :)

So this past Monday I hit 2 years post op. Today I weighed in at 148.9. My lowest weight was 144.7 so I'm still at the 1-5 range, still below my goal weight. Sleevie still has great restriction. For me personally my problem is junk food (sweets) ugh, if I eat bad I will gain, if I eat good I will lose, it's just that simple.

Went on vacation in May 2012... and my mom in law and sis in law came for a 3 month visit. This was all fun. The problem for me started there though. My eating and exercise "Rut" was keeping me on the straight and narrow, and the rut went out the window when the inlaws showed up. During this time I started having worse and worse pain in my knee, and found out it was bone on bone in one spot. This crashed my exercise (the dance classes, not the walking thank goodness!) I gained about 5 pounds. Then my best friend died, and my lil'dog went to the vet and we found she has some kind of liver probs... $670 later... I started to eat my emotions for sure. I am up about 8-9 pounds at this point... I am still in the same size, but it is a little tight. I want to eat junk like no ones business. On the up side, I am going to physical therapy and am back to dance class half time. I do hope this will pass with will and healing. The sleeve is a fantastic tool, and I am sooo a success... but honestly, that 8-9 pounds is a downer. Last night my husband told me as a compliment that my but is coming back. OUCH! Thanks hun. Mixed blessing.

Feed Your Eye ~ I have read a ton of posts from you since I first had my procedure 11 months ago. The one thing that I know about you is that you will dump the 8 lbs you gained and get back on track now that you can do the things you love. It is really emotional to lose a best friend, a parent, a pet and we start to question our own mortality. With all the other stressors such as a pet illness and the high cost of paying for vet bills would definitely throw me a big curve ball. Now it's time to throw the curve ball back to the universe and get back to basics. Just know that you have given this community a lot of love and support and we are now here to help you in any way we can.

How is your knee? What can be done for the Carthage that's not there? Hopefully no surgery is required. Keep healing that knee. XOXO