Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

It's not my job to ask someone a million questions. Not to mention, it's none of my business whether you have had therapy or not previously. Believe it or not, there are an AMAZING number of people who do not get therapy in advance of this surgery. I know someone down in TX who was self-pay in Dallas who did practically NO research and went off what her surgeon told her. Didn't go to any seminars, didn't do any of her own research, and to this day doesn't even know hardly anything about the other types of WL surgeries out there. Oh, and btw, she has only lost about 35# since her surgery nearly a year ago.

So, again, I'm not going to play million questions to someone. I can't read minds. I'm hear to offer support, give advice when I think it might help and I'm also here for me to get the support I need to finish my journey. I expect to be around after I finish, but my point is- if you are going to look for advice from other people, don't expect them to ask you your history before they give you advice. That's the job of a therapist. We are just people here to support one another. If you don't like the advice, then do not take it- nobody is forcing you.

"I can't read minds. " that's why we ask questions. I was sharing my pt of view...wasn't actively asking for suggestions but if what I wrote struck a chord, then people would respond.

Nobody asked u to work at asking "a million questions." Just one or not even one but a disclaimer such as " I don't presume everyone has looked into the psychological/emotional impact of this surgery and its effects on our lives but i'd like to share what I've done, if that's ok with you?"

I feel insulted by what you wrote in that message. That likely wasn't in your "job description", either. However, if you are going to offer your advice as you do, you will meet with "attitudes" such as mine.

guys, we are here to support each other, to learn new things and thread is about something else.

Can you please come back to the subject?

guys, we are here to support each other, to learn new things and thread is about something else.

Right! :) I haven't gained any weight (aside from the daily scale fluctuations that stops me from worshiping the darn thing) in 6mos. My pcp says I'm 87# down...I'll take it.

But I do not love (or like) my sleeve. I do like some of the benefits but don't call me to the cheerleading squad. And if there are some honest to goodness other curmudgeons on these boards...let's have a get together (virtual or otherwise) under another heading...like "what's not to like @ this surgery...and how I'm coping with it?"

Hmmmm???

Right! :) I haven't gained any weight (aside from the daily scale fluctuations that stops me from worshiping the darn thing) in 6mos. My pcp says I'm 87# down...I'll take it.

But I do not love (or like) my sleeve. I do like some of the benefits but don't call me to the cheerleading squad. And if there are some honest to goodness other curmudgeons on these boards...let's have a get together (virtual or otherwise) under another heading...like "what's not to like @ this surgery...and how I'm coping with it?"

Hmmmm???

Thanks, aoa. I really agree that we need each other for support. I am two years out yesterday. And for the first time in many months had a "slime" episode! But I ate the meat too quickly and knew what I did wrong This site has kept me focused or RE focused as I am at this point. We NEED each other. Sure we won't always agree but we can agree to disagree privately. On another note, the July4thChallengemotivated me to get going again.

This surgery is not a cure all as we would like to believe but it sure is a great tool to get us to a healthier life. I would do it again tomorrow. No sleep apnea, no HBP, no meds and 100 lbs gone forever IF I choose to make it so with work!

Thanks for the support!,,

Thanks, aoa. I really agree that we need each other for support. I am two years out yesterday. And for the first time in many months had a "slime" episode! But I ate the meat too quickly and knew what I did wrong This site has kept me focused or RE focused as I am at this point. We NEED each other. Sure we won't always agree but we can agree to disagree privately. On another note, the July4thChallengemotivated me to get going again.

This surgery is not a cure all as we would like to believe but it sure is a great tool to get us to a healthier life. I would do it again tomorrow. No sleep apnea, no HBP, no meds and 100 lbs gone forever IF I choose to make it so with work!

Thanks for the support!,,

:D

I just read this whole thread and boy have things changed since my rosy post in the third month after surgery.

I am now a year and almost a month out- and I am 2 pounds under my goal weight, or at any rate my doctor's goal, which was 162- a normal BMI. I myself am playing with the idea of aiming for 155, not quite sure why other than the fact these last few pounds have finally been coming from my belly- the place I most want it to go away ;-P,

Back at the beginning, when I first posted, I had never gained. Not true now! I definitely fluctuate normally up a pound or so . When I say normally, this is besides the times when I embark on what I can only describe as lost weekends, lost weeks even. That kind of binge eating still bedevils me and I have gained as many as 8 pounds in 12 days. Luckily as soon as I eat clean for a few days the weight leaves, probably because it is mostly Water weight as one of my favorite binge foods is buttered movie popcorn which we get free from our son the manager at a movie theater.

I continue to work hard on my emotional issues to do with food- somehow I still tend to do things as "on" or "off" the plan and I really want to stop doing that! I want to be able to live life, have a treat here or there, and not be feast or famine. However, I have finally gotten that I am best served emotionally and physically, by not eating processed sugar and having that be the only rule now that I am essentially in maintenance. I allow myself everything else, and when I do that I maintain and do not feel deprived on a basic level. It feels like being a normal person. It is what I need to do.

I will admit that I do not like this fact. I had hoped to could get to the point of popping a cinnamon bear or two before Zumba, for example, without it springboarding me to downing a large amount of slider ice cream, chocolate, etc. And that just is not the case for me . I do occasionally rail against the unfairness of it all.

What helps me be ok with it? I never in my adult life have ever been smaller than size 16. I was size 24-26 when I started this journey and my goal was to be size 16 again if I possibly could.Right now people I am a freaking size EIGHT! I work out a TON, and so I now am very fit, I have long toned legs that I love after hating my legs my whole life. I love being in this body and having gone from being told I would soon be in a wheelchair and not being able to do anything but deep water classes to rocking 11 Zumba classes a week, walking three miles a day with my husband and our dog, and basically being a fit active attractive alive woman.

Yes, I too sometimes moan about having to sort of but not exactly diet the rest of my life. My sleeve, Thumblina, is a great tool but is not perfect as she allow too many slider foods of exactly the wrong kind. But in the end, yes, I totally love my sleeve.

By the way- I cannot stress enough the importance in my life of support. I belong to several Facebook groups that are so important to my success that I can hardly even articulate it! One of them does challenges every other month, and was directly responsible for me getting to goal. One of them is aimed at emotional work, getting to the bottom of why we became obese and how we can change the things we do to sabotage ourselves. Some of the people I have met in this way are in my heart forever.

IOW this ain't the 'magic' I was looking for.

Oh, I wish there was a magic wand. Alas, I still have the same brain...lol.

I just read this whole thread and boy have things changed since my rosy post in the third month after surgery.

I am now a year and almost a month out- and I am 2 pounds under my goal weight, or at any rate my doctor's goal, which was 162- a normal BMI. I myself am playing with the idea of aiming for 155, not quite sure why other than the fact these last few pounds have finally been coming from my belly- the place I most want it to go away ;-P,

Back at the beginning, when I first posted, I had never gained. Not true now! I definitely fluctuate normally up a pound or so . When I say normally, this is besides the times when I embark on what I can only describe as lost weekends, lost weeks even. That kind of binge eating still bedevils me and I have gained as many as 8 pounds in 12 days. Luckily as soon as I eat clean for a few days the weight leaves, probably because it is mostly Water weight as one of my favorite binge foods is buttered movie popcorn which we get free from our son the manager at a movie theater.

I continue to work hard on my emotional issues to do with food- somehow I still tend to do things as "on" or "off" the plan and I really want to stop doing that! I want to be able to live life, have a treat here or there, and not be feast or famine. However, I have finally gotten that I am best served emotionally and physically, by not eating processed sugar and having that be the only rule now that I am essentially in maintenance. I allow myself everything else, and when I do that I maintain and do not feel deprived on a basic level. It feels like being a normal person. It is what I need to do.

I will admit that I do not like this fact. I had hoped to could get to the point of popping a cinnamon bear or two before Zumba, for example, without it springboarding me to downing a large amount of slider ice cream, chocolate, etc. And that just is not the case for me . I do occasionally rail against the unfairness of it all.

What helps me be ok with it? I never in my adult life have ever been smaller than size 16. I was size 24-26 when I started this journey and my goal was to be size 16 again if I possibly could.Right now people I am a freaking size EIGHT! I work out a TON, and so I now am very fit, I have long toned legs that I love after hating my legs my whole life. I love being in this body and having gone from being told I would soon be in a wheelchair and not being able to do anything but deep water classes to rocking 11 Zumba classes a week, walking three miles a day with my husband and our dog, and basically being a fit active attractive alive woman.

Yes, I too sometimes moan about having to sort of but not exactly diet the rest of my life. My sleeve, Thumblina, is a great tool but is not perfect as she allow too many slider foods of exactly the wrong kind. But in the end, yes, I totally love my sleeve.

By the way- I cannot stress enough the importance in my life of support. I belong to several Facebook groups that are so important to my success that I can hardly even articulate it! One of them does challenges every other month, and was directly responsible for me getting to goal. One of them is aimed at emotional work, getting to the bottom of why we became obese and how we can change the things we do to sabotage ourselves. Some of the people I have met in this way are in my heart forever.

Thank you for taking the time to post a well reasoned, well written, balanced message. It sure sounds like there is something salvagable from this mess I've gotten myself into. Would you mind sharing the fb sites that have helped? I ditched fb for many reasons but would reactivate to find these helpful forums.

I shared your msj with my niece, who is looking to become sleeved herself, and she too hopes this becomes something we can look forward to in our lives.

Thanks again!

WOW 11 zumba classes per week??? YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for taking the time to post a well reasoned, well written, balanced message. It sure sounds like there is something salvagable from this mess I've gotten myself into. Would you mind sharing the fb sites that have helped? I ditched fb for many reasons but would reactivate to find these helpful forums.

I shared your msj with my niece, who is looking to become sleeved herself, and she too hopes this becomes something we can look forward to in our lives.

Thanks again!

I am glad I could provide something somewhat positive for you as my hear hurt for your situation in not loving your sleeve and yet I also see myself in that as I would call it a love/hate relationship!

I will PM you about the Facebook groups as they are private and by invitation.

xoxo

I am glad I could provide something somewhat positive for you as my hear hurt for your situation in not loving your sleeve and yet I also see myself in that as I would call it a love/hate relationship!

I will PM you about the Facebook groups as they are private and by invitation.

xoxo

I look forward to receiving it! Thanks!

I wonder if they are the same fb groups I am on. Most of us have our real names on there.

Anyway, I was just going to say, at one year out, I could have weeks like you're talking about. If I ate right for a week, it came right off. That is not the case anymore at 3 years out. If I gain 8 lbs, it could take me a couple of months to lose it. I am really struggling to keep my weight off. Life is just too damn fattening!!

I hurt my back and neck doing Zumba, so that's out, even though I do love it. I use the elliptical and treadmill regularly though.

I wonder if they are the same fb groups I am on. Most of us have our real names on there.

Anyway, I was just going to say, at one year out, I could have weeks like you're talking about. If I ate right for a week, it came right off. That is not the case anymore at 3 years out. If I gain 8 lbs, it could take me a couple of months to lose it. I am really struggling to keep my weight off. Life is just too damn fattening!!

I hurt my back and neck doing Zumba, so that's out, even though I do love it. I use the elliptical and treadmill regularly though.

Exactly: I fell three times and badly bruised my knee so cannot use gym at all but have been in Water only. Shortly before that I was in pt and ot for both shoulders and the foot of the same leg injured 3 times. I cannot eat any less unless I do only liquids...still I managed to lose...very slowly.

I'll see what the fb rules are @ privacy in the group.

I had my surgery in august of 2010 had a complication then got sick..still managed to get from highest wt of 324 to 216..but then got a little lazy watching my intake..then lost my job in september of 2011 couldn't find one & i am single ..own my own home..was very depressed for the entire time..b/c everything seemed like falling apart..then after 4 mos got new job and change was so scary and wt gain was up to 229 then 240..

So its not right to say its impossible or "how can you do it"...it can happen..letting negative energy into your life whether by choice or incidental and like someone else said You have to focus on you...and taking care of you..if you gained wt due to emotional eating and feel like things are crappy..then I am prime example...I am so mad at myself and embarrassed and feel like a failure...but I have to find that inner strength and get back to eating good food and not junk to make me feel better..Its all up to you..its always going to be work...I knew that going in...and unfortunate things have made my journey at a stall...I feel very bad whereas a year ago at this weight I felt beautiful. It is a tool..I had Horrible experience with my surgeon after i started having health issues..so now i have been having to count on me ...to pull myself up and get back to losing..I have a good 70 more pounds I would like to lose.

Try to keep positivity in your life and if you see negativity taking over get away from it or seek support ...Dont try to handle it alone.